Trek Emonda ALR pricing makes no sense...
    Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003

Trek Emonda ALR pricing makes no sense...

I have been looking at the Emonda ALR 4 & 5. I can get the ALR 4 for $1250 but the ALR 5 goes for $1660.

The only difference between the two is the ALR 4 is full Tiagra and the ALR 5 is full 105.

Same frame/fork, same wheelset, same stem/handlebar, seatpost. Minor difference on saddle.

The price difference is $410 based on the Tiagra vs 105 yet on the open market there is less than $150 difference in the groupset. I found Tiagra groupset for $372 and the 105 groupset for $467 or $95 difference.

Some number cruncher must have realized that people are willing to spend the extra money for 105. I guess I could see if Trek offered an upgraded wheelset or stem/handlebar combo.
    There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.

banned
    Nov 2009
    Good question, I can't see any other differences either.

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003
    Found another thread that states the ALR 5 has a full carbon fork and the ALR 4 has an aluminum steerer. That helps explain some of the difference but not all of the difference

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    There's this long-standing perception that 105 is the first "real racing group" and if you're serious about your sport, you shouldn't consider anything lower. With high-end bicycle pricing based on "whatever people are willing to pay," Trek is simply capitalizing on this perception, exactly as you suspected. If enough people pass and get the Tiagra bike, the price for the 105 bike will come down a bit.
    Last edited by wim; 01-24-2016 at 07:14 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by acckids View Post
    Found another thread that states the ALR 5 has a full carbon fork and the ALR 4 has an aluminum steerer. That helps explain some of the difference but not all of the difference

Like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you wanted to be really savvy, you could buy the Emonda ALR 4, then sell off your tiagra groupset, look for a deal on 105 and come out better...

However, Trek is betting that you won't pay less for the Tiagra bike now, because you want the 105 groupset, and you really don't wan't to go through the hassle doing what I state above.

A compromise could be to see what the shop will do for you on the price of an ALR 4 with an upgrade to 105.

RoadBikeReview Member

Have you seen some of the pricing for full carbon forks... that could make up the diference...
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    Have you seen some of the pricing for full carbon forks... that could make up the diference...
    Remember...you're seeing the retail price there. Not OEM/ODM or wholesale or manufacturing price.

Rock the Mullet!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspharmd View Post
    If you wanted to be really savvy, you could buy the Emonda ALR 4, then sell off your tiagra groupset, look for a deal on 105 and come out better...

However, Trek is betting that you won't pay less for the Tiagra bike now, because you want the 105 groupset, and you really don't wan't to go through the hassle doing what I state above.

A compromise could be to see what the shop will do for you on the price of an ALR 4 with an upgrade to 105.
    You would still have the aluminum/carbon fork instead of the full carbon fork on the 5/6 models. Wouldn't be the same bike.
    And I wanna play a little game I like to call "Block My Spike" with Misty May. - Dr. House

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by PbOkole View Post
    You would still have the aluminum/carbon fork instead of the full carbon fork on the 5/6 models. Wouldn't be the same bike.
    I give you two identically painted, identical geometry and component bikes. One has an alloy steerer tube on the fork, the other is full carbon fork. You honestly will never be more accurate at picking one from the other riding down them down the road than a coin toss. For riding purposes, they're exactly the same.

Look at your bike. Without cheating and looking at component spec lists or the stem/spacer stack-based on how it rides which is it alloy or carbon?

Rock the Mullet!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I give you two identically painted, identical geometry and component bikes. One has an alloy steerer tube on the fork, the other is full carbon fork. You honestly will never be more accurate at picking one from the other riding down them down the road than a coin toss. For riding purposes, they're exactly the same.

Look at your bike. Without cheating and looking at component spec lists or the stem/spacer stack-based on how it rides which is it alloy or carbon?
    The context of this thread was about Trek's pricing structure. Not about the perceived differences in ride quality of different materials. To that end, my statement was completely on topic, relevant and correct. Whether one can feel the difference in the two different forks is completely irrelevant. A premium is placed on full carbon forks over al/carbon forks. Practical or not, that is the reality in cycling for a myriad of reasons. Trek's pricing structure reflects that. If you want to discuss real or perceived ride qualities of various materials, how about starting another thread to that end. Mahalo nui loa.

PS: I happen to completely agree with you, but that isn't the topic of this thread.
    Last edited by PbOkole; 01-27-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    And I wanna play a little game I like to call "Block My Spike" with Misty May. - Dr. House

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    We just assume that the price for the bike with the 105 group is higher priced then it should be...you could also see it vice versa as the tiagra group is way lower than it should be ($1510 as the "real" price).

I would just go to the store and ask them.

HERKWO
    How credible was the source re: an aluminum steerer?
    All my spec comparisons show them both having the Trek Emonda full carbon, carbon E2 steerer?
    Only differences I see are:
    ALR 4 has full Tiagra, Paradigm 1 saddle, & microfiber tape VS the ALR 5's 105 full group, Paradigm Race saddle, and gel cork tape. And of course the price...
    HERKWO

Neophyte
    They aren't counting on you doing research on aftermarket prices of the groupsets, on the showroom floor they're telling you about the differences in cable routing and 10-speed vs 11-speed, that 105 is in a totally different class more similar to Ultegra and DA and that you can race with it.

And unless you're mechanically savvy and don't consider the time spent doing it as cost, you have to factor in the labor of swapping the whole group (and do you have the proper tools for the bottom bracket?).

I wouldn't say the pricing doesn't make sense, just that you're smart enough to see the tricks involved. Just wait for the Ultegra version to be clearance priced, happens every year for every brand... get the same bike with the old paint job for cheap.

Edit: And if it's true about the fork being different that's definitely something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Remember...you're seeing the retail price there. Not OEM/ODM or wholesale or manufacturing price.
    Yes ^
    I deal with this where I work all the time.
    Bean counters want to see the same X % markup on everything over cost. Translated to this discussion, it means after the markup on purchased Shimano items, the cost difference may be multiplied X 3 or more. What you see as a 100. difference when buying from UK suppliers ends up as over $300 difference in list price.
    That markup covers 3 levels of profit taking on those components - manufacturer, distributor, LBS.
    No one ever re-sells at their cost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe. I couldn't verify the difference in the fork, at least not from Trek's website. Regardless, the OP didn't seem to care about a carbon steerer (the point of their post was the difference in groupsets). I can see where you might justify the price difference based on the steerer. However, the post also seems to be about the perceived value by the OP.

Rock the Mullet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herkwo View Post
    How credible was the source re: an aluminum steerer?
    All my spec comparisons show them both having the Trek Emonda full carbon, carbon E2 steerer?
    Only differences I see are:
    ALR 4 has full Tiagra, Paradigm 1 saddle, & microfiber tape VS the ALR 5's 105 full group, Paradigm Race saddle, and gel cork tape. And of course the price...
    I would say it is 100% reliable since I am probably the source referenced. I work at a Trek dealer and have built numerous ALR 4/5/6 bikes. You can tell just by the look of the top cap above the stem if you know what you are looking at.

Neophyte
    You expect us to trust a man with a mullet?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    It's not just Trek. Most of the majors have their AL Tiagra bikes just bit above $1000 and the 105 bikes around $1500. It makes perfect sense when you are selling bikes. 105 is low end racing stuff and Tiagra is high end recreational stuff. They will charge what people will pay. I bought a Gaint Defy with 105 because is had 105 11 spd. So yeah, I paid about $450 for an extra cog. Giant/Trek/Specialized... know that the customer will pay a premium for something they want.

Rock the Mullet!
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    You expect us to trust a man with a mullet?
    It's not a hairstyle, it's a lifestyle. I don't really have a mullet, just liked the photo.

Pack Fodder.
    The Emonda ALR 5 is ONE more than the ALR 4.

It's science.

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003
    Thanks for clarifying the carbon fork on the ALR 5

banned
    Nov 2009
    It's not a hairstyle, it's a lifestyle. I don't really have a mullet, just liked the photo.
    ok sure thing....