Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Trek Emonda snaps in half

7K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  tlg 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It's a bike component, it got smashed in a smash. Fiber is designed to be light and strong but it's not designed to stand forces outside of the normal parameters. Might look like bad PR but the bike did it's job. I am presuming the damage was done in the crash and was not the cause.

#7 ·
It's a bike component, it got smashed in a smash. Fiber is designed to be light and strong but it's not designed to stand forces outside of the normal parameters. Might look like bad PR but the bike did it's job. I am presuming the damage was done in the crash and was not the cause.
Yep, bike broke from bad road race crash. It happens. Nothing to see here, nothing to see.

#9 ·
If only you could see the anti-cogentiveness of your posts and the obtrusiveness of the amorclativity of your posts, then you'd realize that the shallowness of my propensity to blow smoke out of my own anus is only exceeded by the logicalivity of your own posts. Hey, I've been building bikes since I was 10 and I'm an engineer! You couldn't and wouldn't possibly understand. Oh, and everything Spesh builds is completely bomb proof and completely uber-engineered.

#6 ·
Sorry, didn't know about/follow "the fork debacle" (somebody have a link?). Yeah, bikes break, though the others didn't and riders don't often walk away from crashes bad enough to snap a frame in half as Didier did in this case. If you're going to put extra weight on a bike in the form of disc brakes and still be under 15lbs, that weight's gotta come from somewhere. Trek may be trying too hard to prove point is all I'm sayin'.

Which makes me wonder... does Trek make good bikes? :D

#16 ·
Yep, and most of them were carbon. :D. Or aluminum.

Can't remember seeing a steel frame break in half on top tube and down tube. Steel crumples in a crash.

The lighter the thing is, especially a bike frame that has to handle the torsional flex of a 180# rider barreling down a mountain at 45 mph, the more possibilities of stress failure, if that's the right term.

It would take more than wiping out on the road in a race to snap a steel frame like the one above. If carbon were stronger than steel, it wouldn't separate so easily. I don't give a durn whut the engineers say. Some of 'em are so locked away with their data sheets, they miss the obvious.

#18 ·
Richie Porte hit a moped last year in the TdF. Froome hit Porte who is softer than a moped. The Pinarello breaks.

This was the second time Froome broke a Pinarello in that race.

Why no thread then as to why Pinarello not making a strong enough bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 · (Edited)
If a bike was strong enough to not break when you ride into something, how much would it weigh?

The presumption is that carbon frames are weaker because they break when crashed instead of folding. But carbon frames have similar or even greater ultimate strength, so it is fair to assume that an crash hard enough to break carbon would have severally bent steel or aluminum.

I'm not a huge carbon fan, but a crash is violent thing. Everything worth riding is going to break.

#30 ·
I was broadsided by a Ram 2500 on my Emonda SLR Disc on December 26. The impact sent me from the bike lane on one side of a two lane highway to the bike lane on the other side. The only part of the frame that broke was the seatstay.

https://imgur.com/a/i6HMw

My frame weighed 760g...of course the less carbon you use the more likely your bike will suffer a catastrophic failure. Just keep in mind the rim brake version weighs even less because it needs less reinforcement. In all likelihood portions of the disc-brake Emonda SLR have a better chance of surviving a big crash than the same parts of the rim-brake version.

I am a weekday/weekend 4.5w/kg warrior and the photos of the snapped Emonda don’t faze me at all. Why would they unless I were an average overweight adult human male?

#34 ·
" The stricter "grain direction parallel to elongated direction" is strong in the directions necessary to avoid folding, crumpling or breaking in a crash."

And yet so many crashed steel bikes have been crumpled, right behind the head tube. It's the first place you look when considering a used steel frame - and so many unscrupulous sellers try to pass off a bent frame as a valuable bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.