Trek Hyping-up March 19th Announcement - "Everything Else is History" - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 201 to 211 of 211
  1. #201
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    They're already a thing...Are you willing to pay $500 for a disposable good?
    For a "safety" related product? Yup. Given the amount of times my traction control was firing on a rain soaked commute home yesterday, and times where it didn't, but I was still sliding across the road, I gladly paid that for a pair of Pilot Sport all-seasons when I finally made it back. With the increased grip over less expensive tires, I'll pay the premium.

    Same goes for bike kit. With the cost of an ambulance ride alone being over $1,000, anything I can do/spend to minimize hospital costs, lost income from being out of work, equipment repair/replacement costs, etc., is worth it "to me".

  2. #202
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Of course the MIPS folks are not really aligned with the claims of reduction in risk vs their design.
    https://www.velonews.com/2019/03/new...andards_489690
    Clearly we are going to need some real-life experiments to prove whether MIPS or WaveCel is better. Anyone willing to volunteer? We'll even throw-in a free jersey...

    Has anyone seen any online reviews of the new WaveCel helmets that actually include someone using the helmet? I've seen too many "reviews" so far that just show me how shiny the helmet is, but no one has actually used it yet. I do want to know how well it does (or doesn't) keep your head cool.

  3. #203
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,863
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    For a "safety" related product? Yup. Given the amount of times my traction control was firing on a rain soaked commute home yesterday, and times where it didn't, but I was still sliding across the road, I gladly paid that for a pair of Pilot Sport all-seasons when I finally made it back. With the increased grip over less expensive tires, I'll pay the premium.
    You were looooooong overdue for new tires if this was the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    Same goes for bike kit. With the cost of an ambulance ride alone being over $1,000, anything I can do/spend to minimize hospital costs, lost income from being out of work, equipment repair/replacement costs, etc., is worth it "to me".
    Point taken here. My point is has it been proven (other than by Trek) that this helmet prevents injury any better than a MIPS or for that matter, any other helmet?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  4. #204
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Clearly we are going to need some real-life experiments to prove whether MIPS or WaveCel is better. Anyone willing to volunteer? We'll even throw-in a free jersey...

    Has anyone seen any online reviews of the new WaveCel helmets that actually include someone using the helmet? I've seen too many "reviews" so far that just show me how shiny the helmet is, but no one has actually used it yet. I do want to know how well it does (or doesn't) keep your head cool.
    When you consider the fact that the helmet has only been on sale since Tuesday it seems that any rider reviews would be a little premature.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  5. #205
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: izza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    When you consider the fact that the helmet has only been on sale since Tuesday it seems that any rider reviews would be a little premature.
    Acquired mine on Monday.

    There is a reduction in that feeling of air passing over the head as you get with some helmets like the Velocis.

    My first two rides with the helmet have both been early morning ones with cool atmospheric conditions. The only time when I felt a rush of welcome cool air was when I looked down towards the stem.

    Family staying over weekend so won’t get chance to go for longer ride into late morning hours until next weekend.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #206
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    When you consider the fact that the helmet has only been on sale since Tuesday it seems that any rider reviews would be a little premature.
    When Trek released the new Madone, they invited a group of paparazzi... ur, avid cyclists from the media... to Trek headquarters in Waterloo to try the bike and then be sworn to secrecy until the bike was announced (or so I heard). I figured they might've done the same with the helmet... give famous YouTubers the helmet in advance to try out and be ready to release a favorable review once the cat was out of the bag.

    izza's initial impressions of the helmet's ventilation coincide with what one might expect from the design of the WaveCel material... i.e., the WaveCel actually blocks the free flow of air through the helmet under normal riding conditions which might be an issue when the weather warms-up.

  7. #207
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,266
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    When you consider the fact that the helmet has only been on sale since Tuesday it seems that any rider reviews would be a little premature.
    Until someone crashes and the helmet makes a huge difference in the outcome, basically all anybody can talk about his how shiny and comfortable it is when it is brand new.

    I wonder how well it airs out incredibly sweaty heads like mine on raging hot days.

  8. #208
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: OldZaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,217
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Until someone crashes and the helmet makes a huge difference in the outcome, basically all anybody can talk about his how shiny and comfortable it is when it is brand new.
    This assumes they crash twice - once with a new MIPS helmet and once with Trek's 30-year-Innovation helmet. Oh, and the conditions have to be identical.

  9. #209
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,266
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    This assumes they crash twice - once with a new MIPS helmet and once with Trek's 30-year-Innovation helmet. Oh, and the conditions have to be identical.
    Or, imagine a Trek bike under this guy, full speed ahead, into a wall. That's what we need to see before we shell out the big bucks.



    If I had time tonight, I'd put my pshop skills to work.

  10. #210
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You were looooooong overdue for new tires if this was the case.
    Yup...were on the list for months, but working from home, I hadn't driven on the highway in the rain for almost a year.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Point taken here. My point is has it been proven (other than by Trek) that this helmet prevents injury any better than a MIPS or for that matter, any other helmet?
    No idea, I'm just glad my Specialized Prevail doesn't make me feel like I'm going to have a heat stroke on hotter days, as it keeps the front part of my head cooler than other helmets I've used.

  11. #211
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Until someone crashes and the helmet makes a huge difference in the outcome, basically all anybody can talk about his how shiny and comfortable it is when it is brand new.

    I wonder how well it airs out incredibly sweaty heads like mine on raging hot days.
    i have similar questions about its hot weather performance. I also have similar reservations about the MIPS helmets in hot weather, with that plastic sheet between my head and the ventilation holes. All the MIPS helmets I have seen have greatly reduced the number of ventilation holes compared to my pre-MIPS Trek Velocis, Spectre, Giro Atmos and Pneumo helmets. I know that they are designed for better air flow at speed, but at my slow climbing speeds on major mountain passes (4-8mph) that airflow isn't happening so I need a massive amount of ventilation slots on the top of the helmet to let the heat escape.

    I am going to purchase on of the new Spectre Wavecell helmets, but it will most likely be relegated to cool weather riding and my next summer helmet is likely to be a Catlike, as they seem to be the last company using a large amount of ventilation holes in the top of the helmet.
    Last edited by bradkay; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:54 PM.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Similar Threads

  1. '03 Trek 2300 w/ ultegra and everything else
    By rbhatup in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-07-2018, 11:12 AM
  2. Tour of Borrego Saturday March 19th, 2011
    By richwolf in forum Southern California
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 08:56 AM
  3. RBR L.A. March '08 Ride-n-Shoot Gathering Ride Report and Shots on RBR in March '08
    By DrRoebuck in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 04:56 PM
  4. Grant's Tomb Criterium in Manhatta March 19th
    By ebroil in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2005, 09:59 AM
  5. Grant's Tomb Criterium in Manhatta March 19th
    By ebroil in forum Mid-Atlantic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 09:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.