Trunk Rack

Printable View

• 06-21-2011
    peterk
    Trunk Rack
    Anybody using the Thule Speedway platform trunk rack? If so, any thoughts on it?

Thanks

Pete
  • 06-21-2011
    Jwiffle
    I've purchased it, but haven't actually put it on the car and used it, yet. It appears pretty solid, and I think I will like it.
  • 06-21-2011
    Mr. Versatile
    I have not, but I have done a significant amount of commuting and some touring using only a trunk rack. I tour very little and the trunk bag is big enough to carry everything I need for a motel tour. That plus the fact that I'm cheap prevented me from buying panniers.

Having extra weight up high like a trunk rack makes the bike handle a bit squirrelly. The most difficult time is mounting & dismounting. At either time the bike wants to do a wheelie & fall into you. I found the best method is to apply the front brake, push down hard on the bars, swing your leg over, then straighten up. It's not real bad once your underway, but at slow speeds and slow corners it can get quite "interesting."
  • 06-22-2011
    Jwiffle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    I have not, but I have done a significant amount of commuting and some touring using only a trunk rack. I tour very little and the trunk bag is big enough to carry everything I need for a motel tour. That plus the fact that I'm cheap prevented me from buying panniers.

Having extra weight up high like a trunk rack makes the bike handle a bit squirrelly. The most difficult time is mounting & dismounting. At either time the bike wants to do a wheelie & fall into you. I found the best method is to apply the front brake, push down hard on the bars, swing your leg over, then straighten up. It's not real bad once your underway, but at slow speeds and slow corners it can get quite "interesting."

um...he's asking about a rack on the car to carry the bike.
  • 06-24-2011
    Mr. Versatile
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    um...he's asking about a rack on the car to carry the bike.

OOPS! I saw trunk rack and I....:(