Trunk rack recommendations
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Trunk rack recommendations

Well, I just had my Thule roof and bike rack stolen, so now I need something to replace it. I drive a scion xd. Any recommendations?

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Saris Bones. They're pretty nice, stable & fit almost anything you could come up with. They even fit on my wife's VW Beetle conv.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    If you're looking for a basic strap style trunk rack, I recommend Hollywood Rack. Strong, sturdy, easy to mount, and I love the strong rubber frame mounts. 3 bikes. Under $60.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I just looked through the hollywood website, and none of their racks fit my car on their fit guide. Well, their only suggestion was a hitch rack, but my car doesn't have a hitch installed? Do you know of any other brands? I'm only familiar with thule and yakima trunk racks.

I'm looking at the saris racks... that gran fondo rack looks crazy...
    Last edited by llcooljunr; 10-02-2010 at 11:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the Thule 2 way. It's very compact and if you are really just carrying your one road bike; it is pretty good. You can carry another bike, but the 2 way has shorter arms, all the straps are on the rack and it is very easy to put on. Not sure if it fits your Scion, but it should. It is about $70 at Performance when it is on sale.

I was leaning towards a roof rack when I get my new car in a few years, but not too sure now. I am seeing less benefit from yours getting stolen and the thread about not taking the bike off the rack when you enter the garage,
    ----------------
    I am participating in the 2012 Tour de Cure to raise money to Help Stop Diabetes. Please Click Here to view my page or if you would like to make a donation.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    Saris Bones. They're pretty nice, stable & fit almost anything you could come up with. They even fit on my wife's VW Beetle conv.
    I've had my Saris Bones 2-Bike for years and it's excellent. It's great that it goes in the trunk when I'm away from the car and it folds in needed. Their new simple "one bike" Solo version looks cool.

banned
    May 2010
    Saris Thelma 2/3 bike if you have a trailer hitch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

I'm pleased with my Yakima

A King Joe 3.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Walker
    I like the Thule 2 way. It's very compact and if you are really just carrying your one road bike; it is pretty good. You can carry another bike, but the 2 way has shorter arms, all the straps are on the rack and it is very easy to put on. Not sure if it fits your Scion, but it should. It is about $70 at Performance when it is on sale.

I was leaning towards a roof rack when I get my new car in a few years, but not too sure now. I am seeing less benefit from yours getting stolen and the thread about not taking the bike off the rack when you enter the garage,

I went to the thule website to see if my car would fit that rack, but the removed all scion vehicles and just have the IQ as the only option now. It would be awesome if that rack fit my car since the price is right.

I really wish I still had my roof rack. Besides making my car look awesome, other benefits were transporting snowboards for the upcoming season. I would so get another roof rack, but with the price and knowledge of how easily they can be ripped off your car, I really can't justify getting another one.

Rub it............
    Saris. They come in couple of different models. The best feature IMHO, is that the 4 legs are independently adjustable from the others, incase you have a hatch that is shaped weird. Something like the rear hatch on an Xterra - there is a first aid kit inside on the hatch.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

carpe omnes
    Saris Bones. For the design, excellent customer service, warranty and made in the USA quality.
    "let them hate, so long as they fear"

The Cube
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    agreed.
    K$