Tubes With Removable Valve Cores
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Tubes With Removable Valve Cores

I saw a good deal on Presta tubes with removable valve cores. My pump is the Lezyne with a screw in head. Would this pump be problematic with these tubes?

Thanks

Haint
    Quote Originally Posted by daniell View Post
    I saw a good deal on Presta tubes with removable valve cores. My pump is the Lezyne with a screw in head. Would this pump be problematic with these tubes?

Thanks

Is there a Lezyne for non-removable valve core Presta?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I use tubes with removable stems and Lezyne pumps, both floor and on my bikes. Yes, the valves can be loosened over time, but you can easily tighten the valve with needle nose pliers. I just check mine every month or so, no issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I've never had a problem but it definitely happens. I even saw a guy have his core blow out into hyperspace when removing the pump on the road. This is why Lenzyne started building a valve core wrench into their pumps. (some of them anyway)

I wouldn't worry about it at home because you can just tighten them as said. But I'd make sure the valve core is nice and tight for spares you carry on the road if you have a screw on Lenzyne pump on the road too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but here goes...I have quite a few bikes. I have quite a few Lezyne frame pumps mounted on various bikes, most with a thread-on hose. I realized, after trying to fix a puncture and having the valve core screw out repeatedly...that I have quite a few bikes with removeable valve core tubes.

I wasn't about to replace numerous pumps and numerous tubes across a few bikes. One weekend I just got out my Loctite and secured all the valve cores on bikes I know I'll never want to remove them from. Yeah, kinda an extreme solution, but it made the most sense for me in my situation.

AND...if you've ever been stranded trying to fix a punctured tube and you get it fully inflated with a small pump...only to have it unscrew when you go to take the hose off, well, you might understand.

I *think* maybe Lezyne tried to alleviate the problem by making hoses with a pressure release button? ^^Jay seems to be even more up to speed...didn't realize they were building in a valve core tool!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    I *think* maybe Lezyne tried to alleviate the problem by making hoses with a pressure release button? ^^Jay seems to be even more up to speed...didn't realize they were building in a valve core tool!!

If you click on the bottom picture of just the hose you'll see what I mean:
    https://www.tweekscycles.com/us/lezy...mp-v2-2003647/

I've never had to use it but tried it just for kicks and it works and no harm in it being there so a pretty cool idea. I think they missed a good opportunity not sizing one of the slots to be a spoke wrench and kill two birds with one stone.

MDM
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020

Thanks
    Yes, it would. I've seen and heard from folks having the valve core unscrew with these pumps. Someone wrote a drop of Loctite on the core threads secures it sufficiently.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here what I used to do with my Lezyne...

1. Use a core tool to make sure it's a little tighter than out of the box

2. Put a dab of grease in the pump chuck thread

3. Do not thread the chuck all the way down.

Then I discover their Speed Chuck. Problem solved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post

Then I discover their Speed Chuck. Problem solved.
    I assume you are talking floor pump? Any idea if it works on their mini pump?

I just had a lightbulb go off on something I wasn't smart enough to think of before.

I'm always super careful changing a tube on the road since I saw a guy blow one into the woods when removing a Lenzyne pump. I cup my hands around the valve so it it blows off it can't go anywhere.

Never considered until now that if I were to blow one into the woods I could just take the one out of the tube that flatted and is being replaced.
    Not that I'll start throwing caution to the wind but it is an emergency option I hadn't thought of.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I assume you are talking floor pump? Any idea if it works on their mini pump?
    It works with any of their pumps with a threaded chuck. I have one for each of my mini pump.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    It works with any of their pumps with a threaded chuck. I have one for each of my mini pump.
    cool thanks. Pretty cheap and easy to carry. I'll probably order one.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Haint View Post
    Is there a Lezyne for non-removable valve core Presta?
    The Lezyne pump head screws onto the valve. When unscrewing the pump the valve core will sometimes unscrew from the stem.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks
    Yes, it has happened to me, but I was on a group ride so someone bailed me out, otherwise I would have been SOL.
    Now I tighten down the valve cores before the tubes go in my saddlebag.
    I may try the Loc-Tite trick, or I'll look into the Speed Chuck.
    At least I'm enjoying the ride.

Proud luddite
    The question must be asked: why do tube manufacturers even bother making tubes with removable valve cores? Based on people's input here it sounds like they are nothing but trouble.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    The question must be asked: why do tube manufacturers even bother making tubes with removable valve cores? Based on people's input here it sounds like they are nothing but trouble.
    So that riders can swap out OEM valve cores for carbon fiber (or better yet, ceramic) valve cores.

The difference in performance is astonishing, believe me.
    Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

There are over 8 million covid cases in the United States (as of October 15th), nine months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I started using them back when I had deep section carbon rims and shallower alloy rims and I only wanted to keep tubes with shorter stems on hand. Continental and other make valve stem extenders that use the removable valve stem on the end instead of just an open tube like some so a threaded pump head, like the Lezyne, can be used. I still have one set of wheels with deep rims, so continue to use these tubes.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Several reasons:

1) removable cores are replaceable. I keep about a dozen spares, so if one fails, or gets gunked-up, I can replace the core alone, leaving the tube (or tubular..) mounted on the wheel.

2) Extenders-for those with very deep aero wheels: You need to remove the core from the stem, and use the one in the extender.

3)-and this is the big one- For those using sealant in their tubes; you have to remove the valve first, fill the tube, then put the valve back on. Also, sometimes sealant will gunk-up the valve, making reason #1 important, too.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Several reasons:

1) removable cores are replaceable. I keep about a dozen spares, so if one fails, or gets gunked-up, I can replace the core alone, leaving the tube (or tubular..) mounted on the wheel.

2) Extenders-for those with very deep aero wheels: You need to remove the core from the stem, and use the one in the extender.

3)-and this is the big one- For those using sealant in their tubes; you have to remove the valve first, fill the tube, then put the valve back on. Also, sometimes sealant will gunk-up the valve, making reason #1 important, too.
    This.

But just a note on point #2. There is another type of extender that is used with non-removable core. The way it works is you just losen the tip of the nonremovable core, then screw the extender right over the nonremovable core.

It's always handy to have both extender types on hand if you're using deep wheels. The reason is because if you run out of inner tubes, and someone donate their inner tubes with the nonremovable core type, then you will need to switch extender

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    This.

But just a note on point #2. There is another type of extender that is used with non-removable core. The way it works is you just losen the tip of the nonremovable core, then screw the extender right over the nonremovable core.

It's always handy to have both extender types on hand if you're using deep wheels. The reason is because if you run out of inner tubes, and someone donate their inner tubes with the nonremovable core type, then you will need to switch extender
    Double tap.
    #promechaniclife

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    This.

The extenders that work w/ the removable cores are the ONLY way to go. And I must be slipping...c'mon OP, this thread should be in 'wheels/tires'...jeez.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The extenders that work w/ the removable cores are the ONLY way to go. And I must be slipping...c'mon OP, this thread should be in 'wheels/tires'...jeez.
    yeah I know. But shouldn't one carry the other extender type for use with nonremovable core too, in case the donor tube has nonremovable core?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think I need another tube, anyone got one?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    A patch kit should also be a permanent fixture in the saddle bag of any high profile wheeled bikes.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I keep valve cores in all my saddle bags, in the event that someone needs one on a ride. Have never had the need yet, but it would be so cool to get someone out of trouble on a ride!! Almost all of my current tubes do not feature a removable core, but I always want to be ready to help out a fellow rider!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    A patch kit should also be a permanent fixture in the saddle bag of any high profile wheeled bikes.
    ^^^ This. Was on a ride and the guy with the deep section wheels had a second flat and I didn't have a long stem tube. Luckily I carry Park instant patches and we got him back on the road but otherwise, he was going to have to call for a ride. At the time we were 40 miles from home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast