"untreated high blood pressure"
    Moderatus Puisne

"untreated high blood pressure"

Erm, thanks for the warning.

So, after being hit by a car recently, EMTs came to the scene to check me out. I got this letter in the mail from them today:

"Fire & Rescue recently treated you for a medical emergency. During this visit, firefighters noted your blood pressure was 162/78. This is very high. We strongly encourage you to visit a doctor ... Untreated high blood pressure is a major risk..."

Thanks for the, uh, heads up, folks. But when you think that I was riding a bicycle at over twenty miles an hour, got hit by a car, which subsequently fled, directly before you checked my blood pressure?

Perhaps that had something to do with it?

RoadBikeReview Member

that qualifies as "very high"?

that qualifies as "very high"?

Go Blue

Sounds familiar

Quote Originally Posted by Argentius

So, after being hit by a car recently, EMTs came to the scene to check me out. I got this letter in the mail from them today:

"Fire & Rescue recently treated you for a medical emergency. During this visit, firefighters noted your blood pressure was 162/78. This is very high. We strongly encourage you to visit a doctor ... Untreated high blood pressure is a major risk..."

Thanks for the, uh, heads up, folks. But when you think that I was riding a bicycle at over twenty miles an hour, got hit by a car, which subsequently fled, directly before you checked my blood pressure?

In 2003, I had a solo crash and broke my shoulder (I also ripped my shorts and had an amazing amount of bleeding road rash in my upper thigh/butt). When I went to the ER they took my blood pressure. I don't recall the numbers, but I was given the same type of written warnings. When I am not suffering from a major trauma, my blood pressure is at the low end of normal (around 115/80). There must be some kind of computer program that automatically spits out something like this whenever there is a high reading. It never hurts to have your blood pressure checked. But, I would guess that you are in as much danger from high blood pressure as I am.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

What the Hell is going on

Very Considerate

I thought that was very considerate of the Fire & Rescue guys to notify you of a potential health risk. Gee, I wished I had gotten a letter like that instead of a letter from a law firm from my health insurance company asking me to name names of people who could possibly be responsible for my bike crash so they can sue them in court.

Why would you put down that nice, thoughtful and considerate gesture?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Your systolic BP will be high when you're exercising, and also when you've just had something happen to you like being hit by a car. Get your BP checked sometime in a relaxed environment, then see if you need to follow-up with your health care provider.

Jan 2004

Seems like good medical practice to me--I'd thank 'em

It's likely the circumstances elevated your BP, but by alerting you to it, they're just following sound medical practice. There's a lot of undiagnosed hypertension out there, and it can lead to all kinds of complications, including death. I'm surprised they'd take the trouble to do it.
    Get your BP checked under normal circumstances (many doctors and clinics will do it for free) and forget about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    When I am not suffering from a major trauma, my blood pressure is at the low end of normal (around 115/80).
    115/80 isn't 'low end of normal'. It's stone cold normal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    162/78 ?!?!?! I wish mine ran that low at rest!!!
    But to anseer the question, yes, expericeing a trama will in fact raise your numbers, as will exercise. So will stress.
    The red flag goes up when the botom number hits arround 90 (give or take a couple points)
    When I was in TV news, (a high stress envernment) my bottom number was arround 88, and that's after meds... Thease days my last reding was around 79, and there is talk of taking me off the meds.
    This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. (1 Timothy 1:15)

You can't spell Christmas, without Christ...

Jan 2005
    Assuming you are 23 yrs of age I don't think that number is high after
    exercising and getting an adrenaline (spelling?) rush.
    Just go to a supermarket with an automated blood pressure machine
    and check yourself out initially for free.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Out of curiosity, are you also known as "Diprivan"? We use it quite frequently for our ICU intubated and ventilator dependant patients that need to be sedated.

n00bsauce
    Those automatic blood pressure machines are worthless (the kind in grocery stores, not the automatic ones in clinics or hospitals). There's no way to know if they've ever been calibrated or recalibrated. They are entertainment only and are used to get people into the store. Get your blood pressure taken by a real person who does it regularly if you want a reasonable reading. Even blood pressures taken by experienced people who do many a day can vary, especially person to person. To get an accurate assessment you need several pressures over a period of time and taken by the same person. This doesn't matter much if you're not very close to having high blood pressure but if you're on the cusp it can make the difference between meds and no meds.

I think the letter was a nice gesture. I'd bet your reading was because of the incident but if you haven't had it checked lately what's the harm?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

Elevated BP.

I am sorry for your accident, Argentius. I believe that my BP would also be accelerated after a mishap like yours. Out of curiosity, what was blood pressure before you were discharge from the emergency room, or did you choose otherwise? A diagnosis of arterial hypertension is not made until X3 BP readings (after at least X5 minutes of sitting calmly) in X3 different occassions. Any consistent reading over 140/90 would be considered "high".
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    Even blood pressures taken by experienced people who do many a day can vary, especially person to person. To get an accurate assessment you need several pressures over a period of time and taken by the same person. This doesn't matter much if you're not very close to having high blood pressure but if you're on the cusp it can make the difference between meds and no meds.

I think the letter was a nice gesture. I'd bet your reading was because of the incident but if you haven't had it checked lately what's the harm?
    What Mel said. Besides, unless something has changed to actually make a diagnosis of hypertension it takes three high BP readings, on three separate occasions. There are all sorts of maladies & injuries that can play havoc w/ blood pressure.

The letter from the ambulance service is a good thing because it's indication of their effort to help make the public more aware of their bodies and the importance of preventative care.

I know your ANTISEPTIC
    Your deodorant smells nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ru1-2cycle
    Out of curiosity, are you also known as "Diprivan"? We use it quite frequently for our ICU intubated and ventilator dependant patients that need to be sedated.
    Yes, 'Diprivan' is the brand name of Propofol. However, I have never used it as a nickname on a forum.

Moderatus Puisne
    Thanks, all. I'm not actually concerned, I was just amused by the form-letter. Yes, it's very nice that they're looking out for people; it even gave directions to a local fire station where they would take your BP for free.

RU1-2, I didn't go to the ER, just got checked out at the scene by EMTs. No major injuries, so I got on home.

At a doctor's visit the next day, it was 105 / 75.