upgrading on a budget, your thoughts

Mar 2006

upgrading on a budget, your thoughts

well im no longer flat broke. I need to change around a few things on bike. I don't have enough money to do it all at once, but it will all (hopefully) be done in the next year.

Heres what I need:
    new pedals - mine give me hotspots, they were used and i got them free and i dont like them, at all, hard to get in, they hurt - i want to get look keo sprint or classic, i think (something with a bigger platform to reduce hotspots?)
    new stem - im borrowing the proper size one for awhile, but this can't go on forever - looking at deda, ritchey wcs, TTT, ritchey, itm
    new handlebars - need narrower ones, not too urgent as mine are fine, but id like to get some narrower ones - looking at deda, ritchey wcs, TTT, ritchey, itm
    new wheelset - mine is just heavy - undecided, but not now anways
    new tires - to go with said wheelset. - pro2race

Heres what I can buy now with my given funds
    option 1: new pedals and tires (i could mount them on my current wheels for races, or just hold on to them)
    option 2: new bar/stem
    I do not have enough money for wheels right now

So what do you think, option 1 or 2? I was gonna get whatever bar/stem I could find cheapest as a combo, (i'd like them to match if possible)

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Definitely option 1. The bars / stem will gain you nothing in terms of performance. I might look for some used pedals. You didn't say what kind you have. If they're Looks, they're pretty much all have the same platform. If you think that's whats's giving you hot spots, you'll probably be in for more of the same. The cause of the hot spots may be your shoes, too.

In terms of performance, besides your physical abilities, nothing is more important than wheels & tires.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Mar 2006
    my pedals are wellgo's, shimano spd mtn style p.o.s.
    my shoes arent the problem. new specialized bg comp road shoe, stiff as heck, fit me nearly perfect. and ive adjusted the cleat position a ton to no avail.

LBK

Apr 2006
    Definitely 1 for sure.

trying to HTFU...
    Quote Originally Posted by CC09
    well im no longer flat broke. I need to change around a few things on bike. I don't have enough money to do it all at once, but it will all (hopefully) be done in the next year.

Heres what I need:
    new pedals - mine give me hotspots, they were used and i got them free and i dont like them, at all, hard to get in, they hurt - i want to get look keo sprint or classic, i think (something with a bigger platform to reduce hotspots?)
    new stem - im borrowing the proper size one for awhile, but this can't go on forever - looking at deda, ritchey wcs, TTT, ritchey, itm
    new handlebars - need narrower ones, not too urgent as mine are fine, but id like to get some narrower ones - looking at deda, ritchey wcs, TTT, ritchey, itm
    new wheelset - mine is just heavy - undecided, but not now anways
    new tires - to go with said wheelset. - pro2race

Heres what I can buy now with my given funds
    option 1: new pedals and tires (i could mount them on my current wheels for races, or just hold on to them)
    option 2: new bar/stem
    I do not have enough money for wheels right now

So what do you think, option 1 or 2? I was gonna get whatever bar/stem I could find cheapest as a combo, (i'd like them to match if possible)
    i was in nearly the same position last fall; returning to riding, needed
    to replace old stuff with new gear that worked better. i'm guessing i
    had a bit more money to play with, but since i'm a cheap [email protected], i
    got away with a lot: my shoes no longer fit, pedals were crunchy,
    wheels felt like a ton.

i'm going with the everybody else and say option 1, only don't forget
    to get light weight tubes too. if you can't replace the wheelset, try
    to reduce your rotating mass; light tubes, light tires. obviously, if
    your pedals aren't working, they've gotta go. nothing sucks when
    riding like foot pain and worrying about how you're gonna unclip
    in an emergency.

what's your budget if you don't mind me aksing?

here's what i bought and what they replaced:

1) pedals: shimano pd6610(ultegra spd-sl, look-style) $99 - replaced
    ritchey road logic spd(they used to be good, what happened?)
    2) wheels: Supergo Korso $99 - replaced mavic open 4cd/shimano D/A
    24/28(from 1991)
    3) tires: michelin pro2race 700x23 $35 - replaced continental GP
    4) shoes: nike altea 2+ $150 - replaced shimano 3strap road shoe

sadly, supergo is no more, having been bought and swallowed up by
    performance, so you can't get the Korso wheels anymore. don't despair
    though because neuvation makes nearly the same wheels(m28 aero) -
    they may still be out of your price range at $289. they're still a good value
    for a non-handbuilt wheel. the korsos were perfect out of the box,
    light and quick to spin up, yet not so rigid as to be painful. they are
    killer descenders, and in a slight crosswind, seem to accelerate on
    their own(likely due to the semi-deep-section rim design, 28mm.)

since you've already got new shoes, i can heartily recommend the
    new shimanos, they are look-style, three bolt, solid, great cleats
    you can walk in and not go sliding around on. they're not the
    lightest, but i'm totally happy with their function; easy to get into
    and out of, very secure when out of the saddle jamming through
    traffic, or up hills. pedals are a pretty personal thing, so try to
    borrow some first before you buy.

i love the pro2race; very supple, extraordinarily low rolling resistance
    no flats yet. they are a bit expensive, but worth it.

all in all, these have been the best, cheapest upgrades i've ever done,
    although i'm still reeling from the sticker shock on the price of good
    shoes these days.
    Last edited by cwg_at_opc; 04-21-2006 at 07:09 AM.
    Improving on self-torture for more than 3.6^2 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

How old are your bars and stem?

Another way to look at it is that bars and stems need to be replaced once and awhile.
    I pulled off my handlebars last year and discovered that they were bulged around the stem area. You don't say how old they are.

Otherwise I'd go with the pedals/tires.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    replace the wheelset first. you will appreciate it and enjoy riding more. All wheels should have double butted spokes. Check ebay
    Last edited by cmg; 04-21-2006 at 08:27 AM.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Let me be the first to quote....

"Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades."

Mr Merckx.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Mar 2006
    my budget for this is $150. I want it to come in at less. The bars and stem are new, they came on the bike. The stem is borrowed from a friend untill I can pay for a longer stem. (LBS is way to far away to drive to just for a stem, although they would give me one free, regarldess, i'd want a nicer one than they would give me)

i listed the stuff I want above, but to re-itterate look keo sprint or classic, leaning towards sprints.
    pro2race
    im leaning towards deda newton stem/bar, or maybe ritchey wcs (non carbon though).
    wheelset - can't pay for it now, but prior to next race season i plan on picking up either some neuvations, something from ligero, something from mike garcia or something a shop at home (im in college) can build me. basically im looking for a 25+mm rim on aero (maybe straight) spokes with good rims to cost under 450 bucks and be under 1500 grams. (i'm probably gonna get a second cassete while i do that).

Aug 2003
    have you looked at alex wheels... i think they are pretty cheap on ebay

i have a deda magic bar, 40cm, oversized stem, that i would sell you for $20, including shipping... the thing about this bar is that it is scratched from a fall... scratches seem to be superficial to me, but i can't guarantee how it will work for you... if you're a strong guy who's sprinting a lot, it might not be right for you.. pm me if you're interested

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Deda

I'm leaning towards deda newton stem/bar, or maybe ritchey wcs

I have Deda Newton stem/Magic bars, that's what came with my bike. If you change your combination then you might have to change your stack height, more or less spacers, or cut your steerer. I found a Newton stem online for around $90.00, the Magic bars run around $60. That's $150 right there, not adding tax or shipping......I think the Ritchey stuff might be less expensive..One reason I changed is because I went to a longer stem and happened to notice that my bars were bugled when I replaced it.. thus the need for new bars....what I always think about is if it ain't broke, don't fix it....what kind of bars/stem do you use now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Definitely tires and pedals. You should be able to find the Looks real cheap, check eBay--bet you can score something for $50 or less. For cheap tires I like Conti Ultra 2000s ($30 each or less). The Salsa Salsa Moto Ace S.U.L. Road Stem seems to be pretty good for $33 (Speedgoat.com). That will bring you in under $150.

Jun 2004
    Looks like you have got some good advice above already so I'll just add that I think being comfortable on the bike is the most important thing. If your pedals are giving you hot spots then that is what I would fix first. Nothing worse than konwing everytime you ride it will hurt!

That being said, new stem and handlebars can greatly improve fit/comfort but if you you do not have any back issues then go for the pedals...I only hear good things about the Look Keo's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Option 3

[QUOTE=CC09]well im no longer flat broke. If you buy enough bike parts you will be.

new pedals - $150
    new stem - 40
    new handlebars - 50
    new wheelset - 300
    tires - 80

That's roughly $620. You're well on the way to a whole new bike.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

djg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    I'm leaning towards deda newton stem/bar, or maybe ritchey wcs

I have Deda Newton stem/Magic bars, that's what came with my bike. If you change your combination then you might have to change your stack height, more or less spacers, or cut your steerer. I found a Newton stem online for around $90.00, the Magic bars run around $60. That's $150 right there, not adding tax or shipping......I think the Ritchey stuff might be less expensive..One reason I changed is because I went to a longer stem and happened to notice that my bars were bugled when I replaced it.. thus the need for new bars....what I always think about is if it ain't broke, don't fix it....what kind of bars/stem do you use now?
    You can do pedals and tires and stem for about 150 bucks. Look around. I took a quick peak at the Nashbar site. They have Vredestein fortezzas on sale for less than 30 bucks each--it's a very nice road tire, pretty supple and grippy. They have a bunch of Look pedals on sale for well under a hundred bucks--at sixty something bucks you can get the 337 model--it's the older cleat (still VERY easily available) and a dependable pedal, with float, but not crazy, and a good solid platform. You've still got money left over for a perfectly good stem--the ritchey pro is on sale for something like 28 bucks. If the stack is slightly different you can almost certainly make the adjustment to make it right without too much trouble (or maybe any). You may be able to beat these prices poking around at NOS locally or on e-bay. The Newton stem is nice, but the way light stem isn't going to make your life any better--even Deda has good strong things that go for half the price (including strong and reasonably light forged stuff).

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CC09
    my pedals are wellgo's, shimano spd mtn style p.o.s.
    my shoes arent the problem. new specialized bg comp road shoe, stiff as heck, fit me nearly perfect. and ive adjusted the cleat position a ton to no avail.
    If your shoes are stiff as heck then the pedal can't be giving you a hotspot. You've got a problem with the shoe fit. Even though you say the shoe fits well, something is happening in side to cause the hotspot. For the pedal to be the cause of the hotspot, your shoe sole would have to flex around the cleat. If that's happening, your shoe isn't stiff as heck. You could just be a good insole away from comfort.

I know your ANTISEPTIC
    Your deodorant smells nice.