US Tariff on EU-made bikes
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020

US Tariff on EU-made bikes

Has anyone recently purchased a bike online from EU to be shipped to US? I am looking at a great deal on Colnago C64 from an authorized dealer in EU to be shipped to US. I am curious about what would be the tariff percentage I would have to pay after it clears US Customs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    $0 if you can convince the seller to add "commercial sample" to the customs declaration.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Thank you. I hope I can. I wonder what the % would be if I can't. The incomplete bike is $4,650 (no wheels) shipped to US.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Been buying from UK/EU for nearly 10 yrs and have only been hit with tariff once. What I can recommend is avoid using commerical courier like FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. and use local postal service, if possible. My working theory is that customs clearing is revenue for commerical couriers, so they make sure this is done if the declared value exceeded the exemption amount. This does not appear to be the case when shipped via local postal service (Royal mail, Deutsche Post, etc.) they seem to let the destination country decides if a duty is assessed. Again, this is my theory, so don't quote me on it.

I believe ~3% (amount over $800) is a good number to use for the duty imposed, if assessed.

Here's the official US CBP link: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo...rnet-purchases

Good luck!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I bought a Colnago Arabesque frame and fork from a dealer in the UK (Maestro). I recall paying $2800 for it. It got stuck in U.S. customs. The UPS delivery guy said I had to pay an importer's fee -- I guess someone acted as an importer. I think the fee was around $250 and UPS said they would not deliver the package until I wrote them a check. It was made out to some person. The guy at Maestro said it was the import duty and the importer's fee. I've ordered tons of other bike related stuff from the UK -- components groups, wheels, clothes, tires, tubes, etc. -- and never paid an import duty on any of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Been buying from UK/EU for nearly 10 yrs and have only been hit with tariff once. What I can recommend is avoid using commerical courier like FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. and use local postal service, if possible. My working theory is that customs clearing is revenue for commerical couriers, so they make sure this is done if the declared value exceeded the exemption amount. This does not appear to be the case when shipped via local postal service (Royal mail, Deutsche Post, etc.) they seem to let the destination country decides if a duty is assessed. Again, this is my theory, so don't quote me on it.

I believe ~3% (amount over $800) is a good number to use for the duty imposed, if assessed.

Here's the official US CBP link: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo...rnet-purchases

Good luck!
    Thank you, @nova_rider. I will use USPS and see what is the outcome!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I bought a Colnago Arabesque frame and fork from a dealer in the UK (Maestro). I recall paying $2800 for it. It got stuck in U.S. customs. The UPS delivery guy said I had to pay an importer's fee -- I guess someone acted as an importer. I think the fee was around $250 and UPS said they would not deliver the package until I wrote them a check. It was made out to some person. The guy at Maestro said it was the import duty and the importer's fee. I've ordered tons of other bike related stuff from the UK -- components groups, wheels, clothes, tires, tubes, etc. -- and never paid an import duty on any of it.
    @pmf, thank you! Arabesque is a beautiful bike! Here is the one I am getting. First Campy group after Campy Mirage on my 1997 Bianchi Campione D'Italia

Attached Images Attached Images