Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Valentine's day ? 2nd century in 2004 (ride report w/ pictures)

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  PseuZQ 
#1 ·
Blue sky, temperatures between 40 and 60F, plenty of mountains and snow. All this made for a very good unsupported century on saturday. I've done the ride a couple times in the past, but this is the first time I had to give up on the last climb because of the high amount of snow. I got in 98 miles and a decent 10300ft of climbing.

The full ride report with pictures is on
http://www.vision.caltech.edu/pmoreels/Images/ValentineFeb04/index.html

Below: first view of the day on the San Bernardino mountains. I'm always taking the same pictures when I ride in the mountains, so I fear this is going to become boring. But it's pretty much looking the same everywhere, mountains below, mountains above, and beautiful landscapes all over.

Pierre

#6 ·
Main activity there is mtb !

Plenty of trails, and I see many more mtbikers than road bikers. Ranger stations have free maps with trails. I've done a couple, but spend most of my time on the road...

Sunrise I've never seen from there (too early !). Sunset is quite disappointing, by late afternoon there is a kind of haze/fog/pollution that blurs all the landscape, doesn't look really good. Best time of the day is in my opinion around 9-10am, when the air is clear, the day ahead of you, and temperatures warm enough that you don't regret leaving your bed anymore.

Pierre

#7 ·
That would be quite a ride report...

...with a photo of my lifeless body in the middle of Angeles Crest Highway, my recently-exploded heart strewn around me.... :D I think I need a lot more training time before I can ride with anyone on the board without mortally embarrassing myself.

#8 ·
Wow, that looks cool...

I really do need to spend some more time riding in SoCa!!

BTW, any chance you could pass along the route sheet for the Tour de Palm Springs? I've got family in Cathedral City so I'm thinking a ling weekend of riding there and in Joshua Tree might be in order. Thanks for the report!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.