Valve extenders and tubes without removable cores?
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    532

    Valve extenders and tubes without removable cores?

    Just ordered some deep dish wheels and wondering how the valve extenders work. Will the presta tip screw itself down when attaching the valve extender or do I need tubes with removable cores (or tubes with LONG stems)?

    I have quite a stockpile of short, non-removable-core tubes. Assuming I DO need removable cores because attaching the extender will close the presta valve, is there a workaround for this? Like crimping the tip with it open to keep it from screwing it down? Breaking the tip off once its open?

    I always carry a spare tube but if I were to flat that one too, just trying to think of how I'd address the situation if I was out in the wild and had to "bum" a tube from someone else and it didn't have a removable core. Hope that all makes sense.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,008
    Never used them on presta, but have on schrader years ago (mtb). If they work the same then you'd just undo the valve then screw the extender on, then the extender when you use it just presses down on the normal valve to work. Well thats how the valve adapters seem to work presta->schrader for different pump heads. Could be completely wrong.
    All the gear and no idea

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    760
    With non removable core valves you just unscrew the top part and leave it loose while you screw the valve extender over the top of it. The valve extender shouldn't catch on it and do it up again.

    Personally I like using tubes with long valve stems (including my spare regardless of which wheels I'm running, deep or shallow profile etc), but carry a valve extender with me in case I need to bum a tube off someone in an emergency

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: stevesbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    5,612
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    With non removable core valves you just unscrew the top part and leave it loose while you screw the valve extender over the top of it. The valve extender shouldn't catch on it and do it up again.

    Personally I like using tubes with long valve stems (including my spare regardless of which wheels I'm running, deep or shallow profile etc), but carry a valve extender with me in case I need to bum a tube off someone in an emergency
    this. plus you'll likely need some plummer's tape to wrap around the valve threads to make the seal tight. Mavic used to sell valve extenders that included small o-rings but I haven't been able to find these in awhile.

  5. #5
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,283
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisthebeave View Post
    Just ordered some deep dish pizzas and wondering how the valve extenders work. Will the presta tip screw itself down when attaching the valve extender or do I need tubes with removable cores (or tubes with LONG stems)?

    I have quite a stockpile of short, non-removable-core tubes. Assuming I DO need removable cores because attaching the extender will close the presta valve, is there a workaround for this? Like crimping the tip with it open to keep it from screwing it down? Breaking the tip off once its open?

    I always carry a spare tube but if I were to flat that one too, just trying to think of how I'd address the situation if I was out in the wild and had to "bum" a tube from someone else and it didn't have a removable core. Hope that all makes sense.
    ftfy...


    'Dish' is how the rim is centered over the hub. 'Section' describes the rim shape.

    Tubes w/ cores that can be removed are the best. If you can't get those I'd recommend opening the valve all the way then forcing it a bit more so it will stay or even crimping it a bit w/ pliers.

    And posting in the correct section of the forum is always good too.
    #promechaniclife

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,075
    I'm Hungry

  7. #7
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    17,862
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisthebeave View Post
    Just ordered some deep dish wheels and wondering how the valve extenders work. Will the presta tip screw itself down when attaching the valve extender or do I need tubes with removable cores (or tubes with LONG stems)?

    I have quite a stockpile of short, non-removable-core tubes. Assuming I DO need removable cores because attaching the extender will close the presta valve, is there a workaround for this? Like crimping the tip with it open to keep it from screwing it down? Breaking the tip off once its open?
    I've had them vibrate closed on me. I put a dab of Loctite on the valve nut threads to prevent it.

    I always carry a spare tube but if I were to flat that one too, just trying to think of how I'd address the situation if I was out in the wild and had to "bum" a tube from someone else and it didn't have a removable core. Hope that all makes sense.
    I carry a spare with a long stem so I don't have to bother with the extender. I also carry an extender with o-ring in case I have to borrow a tube.
    You could put a few wraps of Teflon tape on your spare tube valve. If you had to, you should be able to remove it and put it onto the new tube. (Also helps to ride with friends who have deep wheels)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike View Post
    Mavic used to sell valve extenders that included small o-rings but I haven't been able to find these in awhile.
    There are other brands that make them. I have a few but can't remember the brand.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    532
    I'll be using ENVE extenders if that matters

  9. #9
    'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,283
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisthebeave View Post
    I'll be using ENVE extenders if that matters
    They now do extenders for removable valve core tires/tubes. Those would be the best way to go on your deep section rims.
    #promechaniclife

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    760
    I bought some of the Silca valve extenders that have the silicon sleeve on them that is supposed to sit in the valve hole and stop rattling. They also come pre loaded with sealer on the thread so don't need plumbers tape and come with the small o-rings as well.

    Presta Valve Extensions (For ALL Presta valves) | SILCA

  11. #11
    Crank Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,943
    All you need to know about valve extenders...

    Valve Extender How-To - Slowtwitch.com
    ___________________________
    2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador

    www.Crankaddicts.cc

    www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

    2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Fuse Comp

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    532
    My extenders (enve) do not grip the threads of the valve. Based on this video it looks like the enve ones thread INTO the valve rather than on top of it.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB1lEfnsWK0

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    760
    Right, so they are removable core extenders, so you need removable core valves on your tubes to use ones like that.
    You don't HAVE to use ENVE extenders, can use whatever you want.
    Just get Conti Race 28 tubes with 80mm valves. So. Much. Easier.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    Right, so they are removable core extenders, so you need removable core valves on your tubes to use ones like that.
    You don't HAVE to use ENVE extenders, can use whatever you want.
    Just get Conti Race 28 tubes with 80mm valves. So. Much. Easier.
    Wouldn't that not work with a 70mm rear wheel depth? Only 10mm for the pump to grab?

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    760
    It would be close, and I guess that's up to you to work out what you can live with.
    It would actually be closer to 20mm as I assume the 70mm wheel depth is measured including the brake tracks, the valve only has to go through from the base of the tyre bed so you gain a bit there. As an example on my Zipp 404's (58mm deep wheel) I have 25mm of valve to the top of the threads showing and 30mm to the top of the knurled nut that you unscrew on an 80mm Conti tube. I use a Lezyne floor pump that screws onto the valve head so I don't have to seat a bigger clip on pump head to the valve either.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    It would be close, and I guess that's up to you to work out what you can live with.
    It would actually be closer to 20mm as I assume the 70mm wheel depth is measured including the brake tracks, the valve only has to go through from the base of the tyre bed so you gain a bit there. As an example on my Zipp 404's (58mm deep wheel) I have 25mm of valve to the top of the threads showing and 30mm to the top of the knurled nut that you unscrew on an 80mm Conti tube. I use a Lezyne floor pump that screws onto the valve head so I don't have to seat a bigger clip on pump head to the valve either.
    Good call, forgot about the brake track. I was wondering how a 48mm valve on my other tubes left me with ~28mm left over on my 35mm deep wheels.

    The ENVE extenders are rubberized so they don't knock around in the wheel so I'll try those at first. If I don't like them I'll get 80mm tubes. Thanks for the help.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spade2you's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12,085
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike View Post
    Mavic used to sell valve extenders that included small o-rings but I haven't been able to find these in awhile.
    I had one and and used it for several years. Worked great. Lost it when I moved and was super bummed.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,935
    Ok, I'm in the same boat here - have a stack of new 42mm presta Race 28 Continental tubes - Do they have removable cores? (I'm not at home to look at them for a couple days) ENVE 4.5s will be here Monday and they come with ENVE supplied extenders, so it sounds like I may need to get a different extender or different tubes to go with them.
    Last edited by Srode; 06-17-2016 at 02:14 AM.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

    "The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,162
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    ...'Dish' is how the rim is centered over the hub. 'Section' describes the rim shape...
    I think we're losing the battle on that one. I guess wheels can have dish, and pizza can be be deep dish, so why not deep dish wheels? After all, we do have tacoed wheels, to continue with the fast food analogies.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I've had them vibrate closed on me. I put a dab of Loctite on the valve nut threads to prevent it.
    They can't vibrate closed on you. The 100 lbs off pressure inside the tube is forcing them open.

  21. #21
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,020
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I'm Hungry
    Nope. Not at all fan of deep dish. I prefer Neapolitan or CA thin crust.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.





  22. #22
    coaster
    Reputation: Lelandjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,051
    I use non-removable core valves with teflon tape on the threads. I superglue the nut in the open position. 28mm valves hidden in 50mm deep rims with a square of electrical tape covering the hole.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spade2you's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    12,085
    I found some Topeak extenders for my spares via Amazon.

Similar Threads

  1. tubes with removable valve cores
    By forgivenick in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM
  2. Do all tubes have replaceable valve cores?
    By ecub in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-21-2012, 08:35 PM
  3. Valve extenders for non-removable core
    By Cpk in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 05:41 PM
  4. removable presta valve cores
    By spookyload in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 05:31 PM
  5. do Vittoria and Vredestein tubulars have removable valve cores?
    By weiwentg in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 09:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.