vashikaran SPAM... enough!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

vashikaran SPAM... enough!

Every few days now we get spammed but this stupid “vashikaran love, baba, whatever” SPAM. Now I get that rbr can't block every spammer but it’s getting out of control. But, what I really want to know is, who on this forum would be stupid enough to call these losers. I guess there are some people calling them or they wouldn't SPAM us, but come on, are people that stupid?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    This sort of spamming is automated. It is done by bots. A bot does not analyse its own actions. It just follows commands. Someone entered this forum into the list as a spamming target and forgot about it. And the bot keeps spamming it devotedly, even if it is completely inefficient.

While I don't believe that anyone on this forum would call that baba-shmaba, the fact that spamming still exists probably indicates that someone somewhere falls for it. The same applies to those late night TV ads.

Anyway, it does appear that RBR anti-spam measures are getting inadequate.
    Et si tu tombes 7 fois
    Toujours se relever 8

Darling of The Lounge
    I called Vashikaran and got an awesome mango chutney recipe and he fixed a firewall issue on my computer too.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
    This sort of spamming is automated. It is done by bots. A bot does not analyse its own actions. It just follows commands. Someone entered this forum into the list as a spamming target and forgot about it. And the bot keeps spamming it devotedly, even if it is completely inefficient.While I don't believe that anyone on this forum would call that baba-shmaba, the fact that spamming still exists probably indicates that someone somewhere falls for it. The same applies to those late night TV ads.Anyway, it does appear that RBR anti-spam measures are getting inadequate.
    It isn't that automated however. They're accounts keep getting banned, and a human being keeps creating more
    "We are doomed to live in very interesting times"

Re-Cyclist
    I believe there is a way to prevent this type of registration by using captcha or something similar that bots can not complete.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eyes View Post
    I believe there is a way to prevent this type of registration by using captcha or something similar that bots can not complete.
    LMAO. Captchas are stupid easy to beat by computer. It is actually easier for computers to beat captchas than humans.

Re-Cyclist
    Ooops I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. I thought it must be true since I read it on the internet!
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Ooops I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. I thought it must be true since I read it on the internet!
    Yup. One method involves a database of URLs of solved Captchas that the computer looks up (since the Captchas images are remote hosted). There are other more elegant methods, but either way Captchas are beatable by computer 90+% of the time...which I'll be the first to admit I cannot beat 9 out of 10 Captchas you put in front of me.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Every few days now we get spammed but this stupid “vashikaran love, baba, whatever” SPAM.
    Actually it is several times most days and it you are sick of it, just imagine how the Mods feel.....
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    RBR already has a captcha. However, even the most complicated captcha protection is easily defeated by "outsourcing" it to actual humans. It could be either a "50-cent army" of sorts who does this for pennies per captcha, or it could be, say, free adult website visitors, who'd be required to solve a captcha in order to get access to actual content.

A better protection would be making new users to answer topic-specific questions with clearly defined answers (like "Does Trek make good bikes?" or "How often do you wash your kit?"). This is not bulletproof, but it is typically harder to defeat than an abstract captcha. Some math-related forums, for example, make new users to answer some basic math-related questions at registration stage.
    Last edited by AndreyT; 08-04-2014 at 10:53 AM.
    Et si tu tombes 7 fois
    Toujours se relever 8

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    One actual solution is to limit guest and new registration posts to a very few within a period of, say four hours and have moderators approve more posting of new members on the fly. Additionally, if the admins have higher forum powers than regular forum mods, they can nuke IP's or set the forum to automatically disallow posts from IP's that are posting too many messages at once. Captcha definitely helps, but not much.

You can slow down SPAM, obviously, but you can never completely get rid of it. But at the forum level, particularly the admin level, there are ways to severely curtail it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    A better protection would be making new users to answer topic-specific questions with clearly defined answers (like "Does Trek make good bikes?" or "How often do you wash your kit?").
    How long have you been following this forum? I haven't seen a clear consensus on any topic posted

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    A better protection would be making new users to answer topic-specific questions with clearly defined answers (like "How often do you wash your kit?"). .
    I like this idea. Not only would we reduce SPAM but we lower the number of RBR's with bad hygiene

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's ok if they're banned permanently, I saved the number already on my quick dial.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cooskull View Post
    How long have you been following this forum? I haven't seen a clear consensus on any topic posted
    The only problem would be that AndreyT would never have been allowed to register and......hey, wait a minute!

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    It isn't that automated however. They're accounts keep getting banned, and a human being keeps creating more
    Oh man...

there-their-theyre-difference.jpg
    #promechaniclife

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I've said this before and have been ignored. Switching the vbulletin software to Simple Machines forums allows the admin to insert a secret question or two into the registration process. This completely eliminates spam registration. Best of all, the SMF software is open (free) source.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    That is awesome!!!!
    #promechaniclife

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Just ban all IP ranges from India.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Oh man...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanquiz View Post
    That will roughly effect almost 20% of earth's population ...
    So what?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew View Post
    Just ban all IP ranges from India.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    But very, very, very few--perhaps none--of the legitimate RBR users.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    On an almost exclusively USA forum, with some Eurozone folk aboard.I can only think of one or two guys on this board from anywhere remotely Asia

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast