Wahoo element just got smaller and simpler - The wahoo mini
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Wahoo element just got smaller and simpler - The wahoo mini

Coming in at 99 usd, ready to use out f the box. Wahoo is going after garmin's edge 25.

ELEMNT MINI Bike Computer w/ Bluetooth SMART | Wahoo Fitness

It is similar to the reflekt, in the fact the phone unlocks more of the potential.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Comes with their speed sensor as part of the package, very impressive for $99.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I think they would have hit a home run if they added GPS and bumped up the price to $125-150

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeri534 View Post
    I think they would have hit a home run if they added GPS and bumped up the price to $125-150
    Agreed. Otherwise, it's not really competing with the edge 25.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by jeri534 View Post
    It uses your phone for GPS like the RFLKT
    "We are doomed to live in very interesting times"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    It uses your phone for GPS like the RFLKT
    and that is why it sucks

meanwhile, can get the Bryton 330 for $100 with GPS, or the larger Bryton 530 for $130

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    and that is why it sucks

meanwhile, can get the Bryton 330 for $100 with GPS, or the larger Bryton 530 for $130
    yeah but that's a no-name brand that's terrible

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    what about the lezyne macro gps for <$100

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostPixels View Post
    yeah but that's a no-name brand that's terrible
    terrible as in maybe not as good as a $300 Elemnt, but vastly superior to any Garmin product made, and obviously better than any Reflekt or nonGPS non in my experience. Also these Brytons get 33 hour runtime - seriously superior for this market. My Garmin 810 would die after riding 3.5 hours - bah!

'no-name'? you pulled that from where the sun don't shine. Small but fast growing brand, like Wahoo was a couple years ago. Garmin has left the door wide open with their sh!tty products it seems.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 08-01-2017 at 12:31 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Besides being nicer looking what's the real difference between this and the old RFLKT?
    Btw I am not knocking the RFLKT, I have one and it works just like it's supposed to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Do we know if a Garmin HR monitor will work with it?

Envoyé de mon XT1563 en utilisant Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Pretty good 10 minute video from Shane Miller here (includes a blender - worth a watch!)

I already have a Bolt, and need Power on most of my rides, so (not having) that is the deal breaker for me, otherwise, this thing looks pretty attractive at $99. Especially that 1 year battery life. I could definitely go for that!

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    From a form factor standpoint, I think it looks cool. I'd love it for the TT bike, but the fact that you HAVE to have your phone on you for GPS and the fact that it doesn't connect to power meter, makes that a no-go for me.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2017 S-Works Tarmac SL5
    2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2014 S-Works Shiv TT
    2015 Specialized Fuse Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    All right, who bought this and has anything to share? I'll start: I want to like this computer, but here are the issues I've faced:

1) Phone power consumption is pretty high on an iPhone 5 (BT 4.0). On 2 40-minute rides, the phone burned 8 percentage points of battery. On a 1h 40min ride over the weekend, the phone burned through about 28 percentage points of its charge.

I do run location services for two apps (Nest and IFTTT), but those have exerted low power drain. My phone did report that the vast majority of the drain was from the Wahoo app.

It is not the phone battery being old - I just replaced the battery with an OEM-spec battery, and a battery app confirmed that the battery is reporting capacity identical to the original spec (1,440 mAh specced, 1,437 mAh max capacity reported by the battery I put in).

2) The unit has lost contact with the sensors. I lost contact with the speed sensor a few days ago, after a pit stop (my speed reading was stuck at 3.9 mph). After some fiddling, I decided to have the phone forget the sensor, then paired it again ... only after successfully re-connecting, the unit didn't increment my total distance.

Then, today, on a new ride, the cadence sensor seems to have been lost. I had put a fresh battery in it, because its battery seems to have died in the store.

3) Speaking of distance not incrementing on the unit, for some reason, when I tried to start my weekend ride, the unit displayed speed and cadence readings but didn't increment the distance. I think I ended up restarting the unit, but I'm not 100% sure what I did to resolve it.

4) The app doesn't automatically upload to Strava, despite me enabling that function. Since installing it, it has not auto-uploaded a single ride.

5) I manually uploaded my weekend ride, which was a mini-FTP session, to Strava. I used the lap function, as I was hoping to have Strava estimate my wattage for a couple of segments.

What do you know, the phone only uploaded a GPS track for what looks like the last segment of the ride. The Wahoo app did appear to display speed and cadence data for the full ride. But there wasn't an obvious way to select any particular segment to upload to Strava, so I assumed the whole ride would upload (not to mention the problem in 4).

I didn't notice any notification that I'd lost my phone pairing. That's the most likely explanation for having no GPS track. This ride was the one where I thought I had sensor contact at the start of the ride but the total distance wasn't incrementing.

On point 1, I need to note that while all the BT 4 standards are classified as low energy standards (compared to the prior ones), I believe that the BT 4.1 and 4.2 standards should be more efficient. From Googling, it looks like in BT 4.1, developers may be able to specify a reconnection timeout interval, whereas in BT 4.0, they're stuck with one setting. Wahoo may have optimized that interval for this particular use case, but I may be stuck with a shorter reconnection timeout interval because of my phone hardware. I can't verify this information, because this isn't my specialty. That said, it's possible. Moreover, later smartphones may use location services more efficiently, and they usually have larger capacity batteries.

Bluetooth 4.1: what is it and why should you care? | Trusted Reviews

Other technical notes: I have a steel bike (and actually, my whole fleet is steel). I carry my phone in my center jersey pocket. I think I heard that Wahoo has recommended carrying phones in side pockets? Not sure if I'm misremembering.

Anyway, I want to like this unit. If it worked as promised, I am fairly sure I would. If my experience is typical, then it's pretty clear the unit isn't ready for prime time right now.
    Last edited by weiwentg; 08-14-2017 at 03:59 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I didn't read all of this, but, if you haven't, I would strongly suggest you report all of this to Wahoo via a support ticket.

It's been my experience that they are very responsive to issues.

In addition to that, if you end up with a warranty issue, they will have a historic record of your problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dropping sensors is something they had issues with on the Elemant when it came out I believe from a previous post. Took some time to get it corrected through firmware upgrades. If this one is similar, sounds like they hit the market way too fast again letting the consumer work out the bugs instead of fixing things before taking people's money.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Dropping sensors is something they had issues with on the Elemant when it came out I believe from a previous post. Took some time to get it corrected through firmware upgrades. If this one is similar, sounds like they hit the market way too fast again letting the consumer work out the bugs instead of fixing things before taking people's money.
    hmmm...sounds a lot like another popular company...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I have had the mini for a week now and it seems quite buggy: the custom fields I set up keep resetting themselves back to the default screens.
    The ‘distance’ and ‘average speed’ fields don’t always work and they remain at zero throughout the ride.
    I have a work around for this namely, before every ride keep resetting the display fields (sometimes you get several duplicates, like two cadence screens, if this happens reset again) and spin the wheel, if it registers then you are good to go… if not reset screens again and repeat… (I **** you not!).
    The auto-upload to third party sites does not work yet.
    This is what I have to do until wahoo have a software update…
    other than that and a few minor hiccups, the unit is very light and looks good.... I just wish it would work properly

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ddave12000 View Post
    hmmm...sounds a lot like another popular company...
    General consensus on Wahoo is they listen to feedback then do updates that actually fix bugs and make the unit better. The Elemnt is a good example of this.

Unlike Garmin who never really fixes a lot of issues, then and rarely releases updates that again, don't actually make the unit run better, then introduces a new unit that has as many, yet different, teething problems as the prior model. The 520 may be the only recent unit that is relatively trouble free, going back to the 800. The 810, 820 and 1000 all have many reported reliability and functional problems. It's remarkable to me that you can spend north of $400 on a Garmin 1000 and get some of the problems I read about.

Sorry, but I'm done with Garmin

Anybody want a 18 mos. old 810 - $120 ?.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    General consensus on Wahoo is they listen to feedback then do updates that actually fix bugs and make the unit better. The Elemnt is a good example of this.

Unlike Garmin who never really fixes a lot of issues, then and rarely releases updates that again, don't actually make the unit run better, then introduces a new unit that has as many, yet different, teething problems as the prior model. The 520 may be the only recent unit that is relatively trouble free, going back to the 800. The 810, 820 and 1000 all have many reported reliability and functional problems. It's remarkable to me that you can spend north of $400 on a Garmin 1000 and get some of the problems I read about.

Sorry, but I'm done with Garmin

Anybody want a 18 mos. old 810 - $120 ?.
    That's all great. The most common complaint I hear regarding Garmin is that they release buggy stuff to be tested and worked out on folks who spend $ on the products. I find it interesting that Wahoo appears to be taking exactly the same track...I have no horse in this race so it's just an observation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    That's all great. The most common complaint I hear regarding Garmin is that they release buggy stuff to be tested and worked out on folks who spend $ on the products. I find it interesting that Wahoo appears to be taking exactly the same track...I have no horse in this race so it's just an observation.
    The most common complaint I hear about Garmin is they NEVER fix their crap. I think the Bolt has had one software release and is completely stable. Same could be said for the Elemnt at this point, a few updates and it seems as stable as the Bolt.

Time will tell with the Mini and I'm thinking Wahoo did indeed release too early.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't get why anyone wants all the stuff a $99 cycling computer does when many of us have waterproof cell phones that seem to track most of the important data. All I need a cycling computer to do is list my speed, in MPH in big numbers, so that I know what I'm holding to for group rides when pulling (or I guess for some solo work).

I don't mean to criticize, but I'm at a loss for what all people want in these tiny cycling computers that don't even have a color display.

What I would want, that one company was starting to offer a number of years ago, is a real-time monitor with a very small camera mounted rearward just to see what vehicles are coming up on me. Rear-view and speed - that's all I need on the bike. The rest is on the phone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Actually I would say Wahoo is worse, the dropping sensor issue happened on the Element and took them more than 6 months to resolve, and now it's here on the mini too and that's not a bug / annoyance, it's a serious functional defect that would make it unusable in my book - I'd return anything that did that. The Garmin bugs I've seen didn't make the computer unusable from the get go. Guess I don't understand all the Wahoo bragging and Garmin bashing, but maybe I've just been lucky with the Garmin's I own. Hopefully they can get the mini straightened out faster than the element since they've had the same issue before and should know how. After the issues with the Element it's hard to imagine Wahoo didn't do more sensor testing to make sure this wasn't an issue with a new model before shipping it - seems they would have had to have been aware and shipped it anyway.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Actually I would say Wahoo is worse, the dropping sensor issue happened on the Element and took them more than 6 months to resolve, and now it's here on the mini too and that's not a bug / annoyance, it's a serious functional defect that would make it unusable in my book - I'd return anything that did that. The Garmin bugs I've seen didn't make the computer unusable from the get go. Guess I don't understand all the Wahoo bragging and Garmin bashing, but maybe I've just been lucky with the Garmin's I own. Hopefully they can get the mini straightened out faster than the element since they've had the same issue before and should know how. After the issues with the Element it's hard to imagine Wahoo didn't do more sensor testing to make sure this wasn't an issue with a new model before shipping it - seems they would have had to have been aware and shipped it anyway.
    Yes, you, and many others have had luck with a Garmin.

The Mini has had some major teething issues here: Wahoo Element Mini - Bike Forums

Seems on 8/8 a user reported major issues with setting up custom pages. on 8/16 same OP reports Wahoo has updated and fixed.

Not bashing Garmin per se, my 810 mostly worked well, but I cannot ever recall Garmin jumping on updates and fixes as diligently as Wahoo has.

Sorry but the bike web is littered with complaints about Garmin's going back to the 800 and 500's and beyond. One good place to look is DC Rainmakers site. When you read thru the posts following the review of a Garmin 820, it's seemingly nothing but complaints. The Bolt review and following comments has significantly fewer negatives and many more folks commenting on what an easy unit to setup and use.

My own experience with an 810 had 3 crashes early (18 mos. ago), one of those issues solved by Garmin tech. support. Then 2 crashes a month or 2 into use while stopping a route while moving. Recently it's a frozen touch screen requiring a re-boot. The rides saved, but I'm done with it as I hate starting a ride with the 810 never knowing if the units going to crap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    The most common complaint I hear about Garmin is they NEVER fix their crap. I think the Bolt has had one software release and is completely stable. Same could be said for the Elemnt at this point, a few updates and it seems as stable as the Bolt.

Time will tell with the Mini and I'm thinking Wahoo did indeed release too early.
    Ok, ok. Let me fix it: "One of the most common complaints I hear about Garmin..."

Is that better? lol.

It doesn't really change my observation about Wahoo releasing buggy products into the field and using customers as test beds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast