wait 2-3 months?

Jul 2004

wait 2-3 months?

i haven't touched a bike in over 10 years... about a week ago, i got interested into road biking and on the idea of maintaining a bike... i did some internet searching and found that the trek 1000 appears to be a decent entry-level starter... and that this bike can be purchased through LBS... i'd like to get it at a good price during the closeouts which take place during the fall season... my question is-- should i proceed into the LBS now OR wait and see if the price gets cheaper? ... part of my concern is that if i wait til the closeout, is it possible that there will be too few bikes to choose from (ie. mismatch between me and bike size)? any input and additional insight would be greatly appreciated!

What'd I do?
    I feel like I should tell you what I tell my newbie friends: Buy a cheap bike ($300 or less) THAT FITS (probably used). It should be a good starting point as to what you like, or don't like, on a bike. I rode my cheapie for 5 years. When I decided that I wanted a new bike, I knew what I wanted based on the feedback the old beater gave me. Maybe I didn't; I converted that to a fixed gear, bought 2 mountain bikes, a geared road bike, and another fixed gear road bike. I still stand by my advice. It's easier to say goodbye to $300 than $1000 on something you're not sure of.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deedummy
    my question is-- should i proceed into the LBS now OR wait and see if the price gets cheaper? ... part of my concern is that if i wait til the closeout, is it possible that there will be too few bikes to choose from (ie. mismatch between me and bike size)? any input and additional insight would be greatly appreciated!
    well, just thought i'd give another opinion. i bought my first road bike this year, it's a used serotta, definitely more than $300. i'm very happy with it. i'd recommend getting your bike _NOW_ for the simple reason that the season is _NOW_ and if you get it in the fall, it'll quickly be winter and before you know it your biking season is over. if price is a concern, get it used off ebay or on the classifieds here. to answer your second Q though, bike shops usually still have many sizes when they're closing out prices.

sd

Cipo's long lost cousin

Ignore (mn)

Last edited by Steve-O; 07-09-2004 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Delete
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant

Feb 2004

Treks are on sale right NOW

Get your bike now. During the Tour Treks are always on sale. Like 30% off so the commercials say. Might as well do it. It's riding season, there's inspiration, what else do you need.

Jul 2004
    thanks for the fast replies... i agree that the current riding season is one incentive in buying a bike now... secondly, price matters in that i'm a noob who's trying to test the waters b4 deciding to go fullblown roadie... i mentioned the trek 1000 which costs around mid $500s... in fact, i prefer to spend less... so i've stumbled on bikesdirect.com, and they're selling a 2004 Motobecane Mirage for $325... anyone have feedbacks about this bike?... tia