Waking up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waking up

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Waking up

I work at home.. typically my morning commute consists of gettingup at 7:55, having a bananna, and some toast and then staggering into my office to start my work day at 8:00

I'd like to get up in the AM around 6:30 and go ride for an hour. I feel it would greatly improve my mood thruough the day not to mention give me copious amounts or riding time.

However, at 6:30 in the AM, the bed is just so cozy, that I can make up a million excuses why I should stay in it...

Is anyone else in a similar situation ? Care to discuss.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by bignose
    I work at home.. typically my morning commute consists of gettingup at 7:55, having a bananna, and some toast and then staggering into my office to start my work day at 8:00

I'd like to get up in the AM around 6:30 and go ride for an hour. I feel it would greatly improve my mood thruough the day not to mention give me copious amounts or riding time.

However, at 6:30 in the AM, the bed is just so cozy, that I can make up a million excuses why I should stay in it...

you have it really rough dude. I'm nearly out the door to work by 630. short answer? set your alarm and get yr lazyazz outta bed.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I expected that

My commute home at 5pm is even worse.. "stand up" ~fin.

Team Bovine Paceline
    Keep in mind how lucky you are to have the opportunity to ride in the AM. Find a small group of cyclists who ride in the AM. We have a 5:30 group and a 6:10 group. When you know people will be waiting for you it helps with the motivation to get up and ride. Not to mention, when your ride is over, you will never regret getting up early that morning.

John

Jun 2004
    as i've found, it's a lot more effort to get up early for seeminly no reason. or at least that's how it feels when you're laying in bed.

for me, it's definitely a matter of if i really want to be riding that early. when i decide that i do, it's easy to get out of bed. but when i'm not that psyched, i'll stay up too late or drink too much and all of the sudden, bed is the winner.

it'll take a little bit of effort, but once you get started doing it, it becomes easier.
    The future will not belong to those who sit on the sidelines. The future will not belong to the cynics. The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. ~ Sen. Paul Wellstone

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005

go to bed earlier. sleep longer. hang your bike clothing where you cant not see it when you wake up. and be warned - you're amazingly dumb and blind when you wake up, so you have to put it somewhere very obvious. for example, i have a bunk bed, i hang shorts/bibs to the right side of my head, and jersey in front, so if i wake up and look at the door, i see bibs in my face, wake up and look at the clock/window i see a jeresy in my face. kind of reboots to an "oh i have to ride" and you dont want to but the knowledge that you were going to is often enough to drag your sorry butt outta bed.

Power Napper

Make it easy on yourself to get going.

Get all your ride stuf together the night before. Lay your bike clothes out, make sure the bike to ready to go, have a water bottle already filled, shoes and helmet next to your bike. If you lay there thinking, "I've got to find my shoes and check my tires and scrounge through the closet for my helmet..." you'll never get up.

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    It's just like making yourself do any exercise. You can't just wait around until you WANT to do it. You know you'll enjoy the ride once you're out there.

Me, I don't ride in the mornings because I tend to be a lot stiffer and have much more trouble warming up.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Can you ride at lunch??? or do you have to be present all day (ie-sales guy). i'd much rather hammer an 1.5 hours at lunchtime than wake up early.

what i can't believe is that you work till 5pm !!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    See, for me it's becomming a necessity. At work I wear 2 hats, i'm the Senior programmer/adminstrator and I have to wear the business hat and deal with getting new sales, diciplining slackers and the like.. which means I'm under stress that puts me in very very horrible moods.

So quite simply I think these rides will make my whole day go alot smoother. That in and of itself should be enough to drag me outta bed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoMadness
    Can you ride at lunch??? or do you have to be present all day (ie-sales guy). i'd much rather hammer an 1.5 hours at lunchtime than wake up early.

what i can't believe is that you work till 5pm !!!!
    I work 8 to 12, 1 to 5 EVERY WEEK DAY.

I find that if I don't stick to this sort of dicipline my billable hours go way down, and to top if off one of our clients is a very large law firm, so we have to be around when they need us, pretty much at the drop of a hat.

I take my lunch hours to sit in the park, eat and people watch.

Sep 2005

Always work out in the morning.

First, go once and ride in the morning. Just once and see how it feels. Morning exercise isn't for everyone. Second, give yourself a break, it is hard to start new habits.

The suggestions about laying out your stuff and being really ready is good. Going to bed earlier is good too. I think you will have trouble breaking your sleep habits at first, so setting that alarm and going once is the way to go.

BTW - you will have a better day if you workout first.

Sounds like a great goal. Keep working at it for a month or two and you might develop a habit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Similar situation

I work at home too, and fortunately my hours are fairly flexible. I'm not crazy about jumping on the bike first thing in the morning though, so my approach is to get up early (at the desk by 7 at the latest), put in a good morning of work, then take a long lunch break and ride for 1.5 to 2 hours. I'll work a little late in the afternoon if needed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    it's a matter of adjusting - it will be tough at first, but once your body adapts you'll prefer it. I can't ride in the a.m. as I'm at work by 5:30 but I also get off at 3:30 and am on the bike by 4:00
    Of course the wife teases me about being an old man at 44 because I'm in bed by 8:30-9:00 every day
    The crazy thing is even on Sat I'm awake by 5:00 and up making coffee

RoadBikeReview Member

I work full time at home as well. However, I start at 6am due to East coast clients. I end up riding at lunch for 1.5 hours (as someone suggested here). On weekends, I get up same time as weekdays so that I can get longer morning rides in before the family gets up. Nothing beats doing 40 miles before they even get up!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theBreeze
    Get all your ride stuf together the night before. Lay your bike clothes out, make sure the bike to ready to go, have a water bottle already filled, shoes and helmet next to your bike. If you lay there thinking, "I've got to find my shoes and check my tires and scrounge through the closet for my helmet..." you'll never get up.
    This practice that theBreeze describes really helps me.

In the PM I'm often looking forward to the prospect of riding in the AM. Like you in the AM when the alarm sounds I'd just as soon sleep a little more. If I set out my bike wear, shoes, water bottles, check the tires, etc in the PM when I'm looking forward to the ride, then when the alarm goes off in the AM it nags that I "wasted" all that effort getting ready just to lay here in bed. So up I get (most of the time).

Scot
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

You got any chocolate?
    I personally find it easier to get up early and get my ride/gym/etc out of the way. Coming home at 5pm, I am usually tanked. Winters are rough though. But riding to a sunrise is an awesome experience and I know that I got my ride in before the day turns into a hectic mess. Besides, there is no more anxiety of trying to fit it into the day. It's the first priority of the day. Trust me, if you want to do it, you will.

Safe riding.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct 2005
    I have better control of my mornings than I do of my afternoons. Also, I feel a lot stronger in the mornings than I do in the afternoons. The morning bike ride also helps carry me through the day (I'm grumpy without it). Try this:

1) Go to bed early, like at 9:30PM, and before going to bed:
    a. Watch The Weather Channel or look up weather online
    b. Lay out appropriate cycle clothes for the day
    2) Wake up at 5:00AM
    3) Get out of bed not more than 5 minutes after the alarm goes off.
    a. This is the hard part
    4) Take a look out the window, verify the weather for the clothing you chose
    a. You should also see the first vestiges of the sun coming up -- let your eyeballs see the light, it will help you wake up
    5) Put on the cycle clothes
    6) Eat breakfast, watch CNN, have a cup of coffee
    a. Don't dawdle, but don't rush too much either
    7) Out the door at or about 5:45AM
    a. At this time it is usually bright enough that you don't need any lights, plus it only will get lighter and official sunrise these days is around 6:00AM
    8) Ride!

Doing this, you should be able to get between 1 and 2 hours of riding in and still be to work at 9:00AM

May 2006

I would ride in the AM, but....

I am the sales manager at the local bakery, so I have to be there to get ready for the business day by 5:30. Not only that, I have to be there until 5:30 in the evening. The only upside to my schedule is the fact that I work Wed.-Sat. which leaves three days to fit riding in. The problem I have run into is that I spend 12 hours a day on my feet, and by that night I am shot, and only want to sit in a soft chair. This means that Monday and Tuesday are the days I spell my wife watching the kids, and catching up with the "honey-do" list.

So, I ride when I can....seeing that I am a Clydesdale, and I got into riding to lose weight, 10 or 20 miles a week just hardly cuts it. I used to take my bike to work and ride during lunch, but noontime where I live, the temperature gets brutal. Good way to get heat stroke! I think I am going to pick it back up, though, simply because I just have to bring the mileage up. I guess I can just do some loops in a few of the shaded housing developments, boring as that gets at times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I'm a clydesdale as well, toping out at 200lbs right now and doing in around 150 to 200k a week, if i do less I feel like i'm not working enough.

Regarding the weather, my wife is a meterologist for Env.Canada, so i just check her for the weather and if she's wrong i hold back the sex.... okay that last part was bullhuckey

May 2006
    Laying everything out is key. After an 8 year rowing career (i didn't know people were allowed to start working out after 6:00am until i started cycling ), I find it pretty easy to get up and get going now...but only because i have developed and finely tuned a schedule. Everything being ready to roll in the am works wonders. If you need more of a kick, get yourself an automatic coffee pot (one that you can set a timer on). I'm not going to give you a "smell of coffee in the morning" speech. Just set the thing for around the same time as your alarm goes off whether you like coffee or not. At 5:30 in the morning, you'll find it surprisingly easy to convince yourself that there is a good chance the coffee pot is going to burn your house down if you don't get up and turn it off. By the time you walk to the kitchen and unplug the pot, might as well bang out 30 or 40 miles.

Soul Mining
    It's not hard once you get into a routine. Right now you're in the routine of waking just before eight. That's not hard to sustain, right? If you change it to an earlier time it will be hard for the first few days but after that it'll be smooth sailing. When I was getting up at quarter to seven to go to work, I had no problem waking at six to ride with the group on Saturdays. I loved it. I looked forward to it. Sometimes I got up at the same time on Sunday just to go for my own early morning solo ride.

So. The trick here is make a routine. Force yourself out of bed! Set your alarm! Go to bed early, no later than 10:30 p.m. so you'll get plenty rest. If you do this regularly, you'll have no problem getting up early. You'll look forward to it and you'll be disappointed on the rainy days.

I guarantee it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I find it easier to get up and ride in the morning because that is the only time I don't take away from the wife and kids. Its always more peaceful in the morning and hardly any traffic except for the cops running radar coming into town (my goal is to see if I can get them to pull me over before the summer is out gotta have fun) It also really wakes me up some mornings it may only be 20 min but that really sets the mood for a great day. I come home and wake everyone up and get them ready for school and get ready to go to work. Ya some mornings its hard but I always regret not doing it when I can.

Dec 2005
    to echo the sentiments of other posters...i love to sleep, and it is hard for me to get out of bed in the mornings to go ride, but as soon as i get on the bike and am out on the road i am instantly glad i got up rather than being lazy and sleeping in. if it's important to you, you'll have the discipline to do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    What works to get my ass out of bed before 5am;

- Know what I want to eat pre ride, and make sure its available
    - Ride with a group
    - Have a long term goal to work towards (etape, race, century etc...)
    - That feeling of pain walking up the stairs to work at 8.30am, with the thighs still sore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast