Walmart launches "High End" carbon fiber bike brand
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    498

    Walmart launches "High End" carbon fiber bike brand

    News from Sea Otter.

    Walmart has launched it's own brand of carbon fiber bikes.

    Yes, I thought this was an April Fools joke too.. it isn't...

    Road Bike R.1
    Gravel Bike G.1
    XC Mountain Bike M.1

    Available as framesets, or as built bikes with components ranging from mid range (i.e. 105) to high end (i.e. Dura Ace)

    They all seem to be the same colorway (black and silver), at least for now.

    https://www.viathonbicycles.com/

    I don't know much about these other than what I read online, but they seem to fairly standard designs and pretty light.

    Here is a review I saw online of the XC mountain bike.
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...mountain-bike/

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    News from Sea Otter.

    Walmart has launched it's own brand of carbon fiber bikes.

    Yes, I thought this was an April Fools joke too.. it isn't...

    Road Bike R.1
    Gravel Bike G.1
    XC Mountain Bike M.1

    Available as framesets, or as built bikes with components ranging from mid range (i.e. 105) to high end (i.e. Dura Ace)

    They all seem to be the same colorway (black and silver), at least for now.

    https://www.viathonbicycles.com/

    I don't know much about these other than what I read online, but they seem to fairly standard designs and pretty light.

    Here is a review I saw online of the XC mountain bike.
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...mountain-bike/
    Their low end 105 R.1 model is $2300. The Giant Defy Advanced 2 with 105 is $2100.. and I would much rather go with a proven brand. They have an even cheaper Advanced 3 with Tiagra for $1840. I'm not familiar with Tiagra as I have never owned a bike with anything lower than 105, but based on the way Shimano operates, I'm going with Tiagra today is probably the 105, or even Ultegra tech from 5 years ago.. which means you will get a decent performing bike for way less...

    And more importantly.. what Walmart clientele will spend more than $300 on a bicycle... And what about support.. and assembly.. I mean half the bikes I see on big box stores are assembled poorly, and those are cheap steel or aluminum bikes. Carbon bikes have specific assembly requirements, especially torque specs.. I don't see Walmart stock boys giving a damn about any of that or even quality control....

    And again.. it's Walmart.. anyone who is going to spend $1k or more on anything other than a TV is not going to Walmart....

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post

    And again.. it's Walmart.. anyone who is going to spend $1k or more on anything other than a TV is not going to Walmart....
    I would go to Walmart for the excellent assembly and support

  4. #4
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    14,050
    These bikes aren't being sold AT Walmart. It's technically not even Walmart. Viathon is a direct-to-consumer company which is simply owned by Walmart
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    498
    Walmart Corporation specifically. They have a lot of money behind them.

    https://www.outsideonline.com/239388...art-bike-brand

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Their low end 105 R.1 model is $2300. The Giant Defy Advanced 2 with 105 is $2100.. and I would much rather go with a proven brand. They have an even cheaper Advanced 3 with Tiagra for $1840. I'm not familiar with Tiagra as I have never owned a bike with anything lower than 105, but based on the way Shimano operates, I'm going with Tiagra today is probably the 105, or even Ultegra tech from 5 years ago.. which means you will get a decent performing bike for way less...

    And more importantly.. what Walmart clientele will spend more than $300 on a bicycle... And what about support.. and assembly.. I mean half the bikes I see on big box stores are assembled poorly, and those are cheap steel or aluminum bikes. Carbon bikes have specific assembly requirements, especially torque specs.. I don't see Walmart stock boys giving a damn about any of that or even quality control....

    And again.. it's Walmart.. anyone who is going to spend $1k or more on anything other than a TV is not going to Walmart....
    It's the same business model used by Canyon (which is also very competitively priced - and probably a better example for pricing comparison). It seems to be working for them.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,503
    I stand corrected.... Although I'm gonna say the thread topic is a little click baity

    I still think they are over priced compared to the mainstays.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    609
    I've been wondering if while being DTC, are they planning on trying to set themselves apart by using the stores in some way? Any warranty work, you drop it at a store and they ship it back to wherever?

    Otherwise, as has been noted, they have competition in the bang-for-the-buck market.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    These bikes aren't being sold AT Walmart. It's technically not even Walmart. Viathon is a direct-to-consumer company which is simply owned by Walmart
    Understood, but that didn't work for the joke

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,043
    crowded market for bikes these days. risky biz. I like the Canyon idea, but they are pretty innovative and stylish in their favour. I do not see that here.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,712
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Understood, but that didn't work for the joke
    and yours did? :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

  12. #12
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I would go to Walmart for the excellent assembly and support
    I wonder where they will put the kickstand?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,036
    Bikes, bikes, bikes... is that all you guys talk about. The big news is.....

    Walmart now has upgraded pastries, you have to look hard for them, but I'm going to recommend them in lieu of a WM Carbon 105!
    BANNED

  14. #14
    T K
    T K is offline
    wasssabi
    Reputation: T K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,078
    I go there for the $1 loaves of take and bake garlic bread. Seriously, they are ONE DOLLAR!

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,596
    cycling is my passion and salvation. i'm not going to be owning a bugatti in my life time. i can afford a decent road bike. you won't see me on a walmart bike no matter who is producing it

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,089
    Wait, arenít they already Giant frames? Wait, isnít every frame already a Giant frame?
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Similar Threads

  1. Has carbon fiber made "high end" bicycles more of a commodity now?
    By aclinjury in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 11:42 AM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 11:27 AM
  3. Replies: 147
    Last Post: 05-19-2013, 01:59 PM
  4. Walmart Corsa FC Lightweight Full Carbon Fiber Road Bike
    By DIRT BOY in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 06:28 AM
  5. "Lion of Flanders" launches own bike brand
    By SPINDAWG in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-14-2006, 01:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.