Warning! Warning! Fred in the peloton, fred in the peloton
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Warning! Warning! Fred in the peloton, fred in the peloton

".. Horner rides with a saddle bag, even when followed by the team car. And he carries a pump, strapped to said saddle bag. His seat tube bottle cage is filled with a spare tubular, just in case.

For another thing, Horner rides a taller head tube than Trek’s “pro” geometry that the company calls H1. ..."

Seriously, what's next, pro dork disks?

Pro Bike: Chris Horner's Trek Madone 6.9 SSL | Cyclingnews.com

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Been done. Back when shifting wasn't so reliable, many pro bikes had those disks, like this 1948 Galletti. And I saw dork disks on a few bikes ridden in Paris-Roubaix back in the mid-1970s. Don't know about now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Ah, the "Bartali" gear!

Love that piece on Horner's ride.

It's has not been uncommon to use the largest cog as a dork disk in Roubaix by setting the limiting screw.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

I'm interesting.
    Good for Horner!

I find it refreshing that a real pro is willing to eschew the typical, stale "pro" snobbery.
    "This thread gives me hope that the human race will render itself extinct in my lifetime...." PlatyPius
    "You're not a real cyclist unless you spend money needlessly....." ZoSoSwiM
    "Power is power and it has to be paid for." Alex_Simmons/RST

Slightly Opinionated
    Good way to meet the UCI weight requirement. Nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Realist
    ".. Horner rides with a saddle bag, even when followed by the team car. And he carries a pump, strapped to said saddle bag. His seat tube bottle cage is filled with a spare tubular, just in case.

For another thing, Horner rides a taller head tube than Trek’s “pro” geometry that the company calls H1. ..."

Apparently the guy is doing much better than you are since he is riding at a pro level and you are not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    Good way to meet the UCI weight requirement. Nothing more.
    Weight requirement are not enforced during training/recon rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I obviously wouldn't carry that stuff if I had a car following me, but what is the deal with people being anti frame pump and saddle bag? I like riding, I don't like getting stranded if I get a flat, and I don't like putting a bunch of junk in my jersey. I was really surprised that so many people don't have pumps or saddle bags, just seems strange to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superjesus View Post
    Good for Horner!

I find it refreshing that a real pro is willing to eschew the typical, stale "pro" snobbery.
    x2!!!!!

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    Doesn't he know he'll never be anything if he doesn't drink the pro-style kool aid?
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by T0mi View Post
    Weight requirement are not enforced during training/recon rides.
    Doh. Good catch. I didn't bother to read the article (just skimmed the quoted part.)

Quote Originally Posted by gumbafish View Post
    I obviously wouldn't carry that stuff if I had a car following me, but what is the deal with people being anti frame pump and saddle bag? I like riding, I don't like getting stranded if I get a flat, and I don't like putting a bunch of junk in my jersey. I was really surprised that so many people don't have pumps or saddle bags, just seems strange to me.
    Because saddle bags are as awful looking as truck nutz, and you can carry everything you need on the road in half a jersey pocket.

If you don't like putting stuff in your jersey pockets, why bother to have pockets then?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Doh. Good catch. I didn't bother to read the article (just skimmed the quoted part.)

Because saddle bags are as awful looking as truck nutz, and you can carry everything you need on the road in half a jersey pocket.

If you don't like putting stuff in your jersey pockets, why bother to have pockets then?

Pockets are for food and phones the 2 tubes and inflators go in the bag along with the multi tool with a chain tool.

Realist

The only way that a person is able to see their saddle bag while on the bike is if they are riding with their head up their ass...

Adorable Furry Hombre

1/2 a pocket? Smartphone, 1 or 2 spare tubes, patch kit, multitool, folding hex key set, CO2 inflator and 2-3 carts is way more than I'd care to carry in my pockets. Especially on hot swealtering days.
    "We are doomed to live in very interesting times"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    It's not nice to fall on tools in one's jersey pocket. Plus it leaves room if you see a nice bunch of asparagus for purchase (being spring and all).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I guess horner must have caved into The Rules

banned
    Aug 2011

Clueless as usual.

Damn, I'd love to drop you on a full suspension mountain bike.

As someone else pointed out, it's not pleasant to land on your tools in a crash.

Talk about freds....caring what you or your saddle bag looks like? Yeah ok!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Your jersey pockets must be bigger than mine. Tube, tire levers, multi tool, cell phone, and a pump take up more than half a pocket. If anything I keep my house key and food in my jersey pockets. Anyways not knocking either way, I just don't care to let what others find silly looking dictate what is most functional for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Beings that he is an elder statesman of active Pros, he is allowed to be goofy.. he he he.. and he may have done this for laughs.

I have done too many walks back to the house while carrying my ride instead of the other way. So, I carry in my saddle bag, everything to repair a flat and make minor repairs elsewhere. In one pocket, another spare tube, inflator cartridge and a mini pump.

classiquesklassieker

From what I've read about Horner, this is not too surprising. He's the consummate pro, always prepared for the worst.

This reminds me of an interview of Oscar Freire a few years ago, in which he said he never had to carry tools nor spare tubes with him when he trains near his hometown. The reason? Everybody knows he's Oscar Freire, so he could always either bum a spare tube/tire or bum a ride home.

hit it
    That is why I hang truck nutz from my saddle bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

He's cut down

Just a pump and bag? He's really trimmed it down.
    He used to carry an entire spare bike and a spare rider, just in case.

(Here's an alternative explanation)
    Chris Horner Gives Fallen Rider (and bike) a 2k Ride to the Finish
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Quote Originally Posted by orange_julius View Post
    This reminds me of an interview of Oscar Freire a few years ago, in which he said he never had to carry tools nor spare tubes with him when he trains near his hometown. The reason? Everybody knows he's Oscar Freire, so he could always either bum a spare tube/tire or bum a ride home.
    The famous picture with a pump duct taped to his Colnago must have been taken some way from home then.

Also: Cav uses mud guards in the winter. Just like the Coppis did.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbafish View Post
    ^This!
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 32and3cross View Post
    Pockets are for food and phones the 2 tubes and inflators go in the bag along with the multi tool with a chain tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhair-NL View Post
    The only way that a person is able to see their saddle bag while on the bike is if they are riding with their head up their ass...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    1/2 a pocket? Smartphone, 1 or 2 spare tubes, patch kit, multitool, folding hex key set, CO2 inflator and 2-3 carts is way more than I'd care to carry in my pockets. Especially on hot swealtering days.

Exactly.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast