Weight Weenies Only: Comprehending Weight Savings (or Lack Thereof)
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    661

    Cool Weight Weenies Only: Comprehending Weight Savings (or Lack Thereof)

    I'll admit, I'm a weight weenie and I don't even want to be. I don't want to be because being a weight weenie is very expensive and causes me to buy things that have no other benefit than the object weights a tiny bit less than it's cheapest counterpart.

    That aside, how might a weight weenie justify spending $$$ on a part?

    For me, the hard part of justifying the purchase of a part is that saying "this part weighs 92 grams less" doesn't mean a lot as I can't compare the weight in grams to something I know... until now!

    Apparently a US nickel weighs 5 grams. Therefore, if you take the claimed weight savings of the uber-expensive carbon fiber miracle part you're considering mortgaging your house for, do this...

    1. Calculate the weight savings (in grams) between your existing part and the new lighter part.

    2. Divide the difference by 5 (grams/nickel). This will give you the number of nickels you'll no longer have to carry if you buy the expensive, light weight part!



    I'm currently trying to justify buying XTR parts for my mountain bike. In a spreadsheet I created, the difference in weight between my existing components and the new XTR components is ~235 grams or ~47 nickels.

    So imagine carrying around a bag of 47 nickels on your next ride... and every ride. While I can't really say the cost of XTR parts justifies that weight savings, that is a considerable amount of weight I'd rather not carry on every ride... especially if I was a racer (which I am not.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:28 PM.

  2. #2
    Never Give Up!
    Reputation: ROAD&DIRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,161
    Great... now you have the FBI/Internal revenue watching/flagged this site by copy money and posting on the open web...
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

    "There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

    "Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

    2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    661
    They'll understand once they realize this post is for the betterment of humanity

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    468
    Imagine carrying a bag of 47 nickels and a calculator on your next ride.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Imagine carrying a bag of 47 nickels and a calculator on your next ride.
    Hey now... I went to an engineering school a few gazillion years ago and our calculators were nothing to laugh at (weight-wise)!!!


  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Hey now... I went to an engineering school a few gazillion years ago and our calculators were nothing to laugh at (weight-wise)!!!
    Did they work better than your spreadsheet?

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    Great... now you have the FBI/Internal revenue watching/flagged this site by copy money and posting on the open web...
    Im here. So they were already watching.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: nova_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    I'll admit, I'm a weight weenie and I don't even want to be. I don't want to be because being a weight weenie is very expensive and causes me to buy things that have no other benefit than the object weights a tiny bit less than it's cheapest counterpart.

    That aside, how might a weight weenie justify spending $$$ on a part?

    For me, the hard part of justifying the purchase of a part is that saying "this part weighs 92 grams less" doesn't mean a lot as I can't compare the weight in grams to something I know... until now!

    Apparently a US nickel weighs 5 grams. Therefore, if you take the claimed weight savings of the uber-expensive carbon fiber miracle part you're considering mortgaging your house for, do this...

    1. Calculate the weight savings (in grams) between your existing part and the new lighter part.

    2. Divide the difference by 5 (grams/nickel). This will give you the number of nickels you'll no longer have to carry if you buy the expensive, light weight part!



    I'm currently trying to justify buying XTR parts for my mountain bike. In a spreadsheet I created, the difference in weight between my existing components and the new XTR components is ~1,256 grams or ~47 nickels.

    So imagine carrying around a bag of 47 nickels on your next ride... and every ride. While I can't really say the cost of XTR parts justifies that weight savings, that is a considerable amount of weight I'd rather not carry on every ride... especially if I was a racer (which I am not.)
    I think I've gained at least 100 nickels since this pandemic.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    I think I've gained at least 100 nickels since this pandemic.
    You're going to need to buy an ultra-light carbon wheelset to make-up for that!

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    I'll admit, I'm a weight weenie and I don't even want to be. I don't want to be because being a weight weenie is very expensive and causes me to buy things that have no other benefit than the object weights a tiny bit less than it's cheapest counterpart.

    That aside, how might a weight weenie justify spending $$$ on a part?

    For me, the hard part of justifying the purchase of a part is that saying "this part weighs 92 grams less" doesn't mean a lot as I can't compare the weight in grams to something I know... until now!

    Apparently a US nickel weighs 5 grams. Therefore, if you take the claimed weight savings of the uber-expensive carbon fiber miracle part you're considering mortgaging your house for, do this...

    1. Calculate the weight savings (in grams) between your existing part and the new lighter part.

    2. Divide the difference by 5 (grams/nickel). This will give you the number of nickels you'll no longer have to carry if you buy the expensive, light weight part!



    I'm currently trying to justify buying XTR parts for my mountain bike. In a spreadsheet I created, the difference in weight between my existing components and the new XTR components is ~1,256 grams or ~47 nickels.

    So imagine carrying around a bag of 47 nickels on your next ride... and every ride. While I can't really say the cost of XTR parts justifies that weight savings, that is a considerable amount of weight I'd rather not carry on every ride... especially if I was a racer (which I am not.)
    There appears to be something wrong here. Or is it part of the new fuzzy math?
    You say that a nickle is 5 grams. You also claim that the difference in weight between exist components and the new XTR is ~1,256 grams or ~47 nickles. I get (5x47) = 235? But I may be off since I'm doing it in my head.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,868
    math is hard...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    There appears to be something wrong here. Or is it part of the new fuzzy math?
    You say that a nickle is 5 grams. You also claim that the difference in weight between exist components and the new XTR is ~1,256 grams or ~47 nickles. I get (5x47) = 235? But I may be off since I'm doing it in my head.
    Bwahaha! Yes, my numbers are borked (Original post corrected soon).

    The difference between my existing and old group set is 235 grams... 1,256 grams was the approximate total weight for the components I'm considering buying.

    Soooo... still carrying a bag of 47 nickels... still going to spend too much money on bike parts to support my disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    math is hard...
    Combine that with not having used Excel for a long time and not double checking my work and I'm screwed!

  13. #13
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,917
    Oh man, this COVID-19 thing must really have you bored.

    I'm thinking therapy and meds may be less expensive than "your disease".
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.




  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I'm thinking therapy and meds may be less expensive than "your disease".
    Might be a new job opportunity... Weight-weenie therapy. "Weight-weenie therapy is occasionally successful and couldn't possibly cost more than the disease/mental disorder itself does."

  15. #15
    Banned Sock Puppet
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,917
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Might be a new job opportunity... Weight-weenie therapy. "Weight-weenie therapy is occasionally successful and couldn't possibly cost more than the disease/mental disorder itself does."
    Maybe a 12-stem program?
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

    "With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.




  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    373
    Better than buying drugs or alcohol.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: nova_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Better than buying drugs or alcohol.
    Both are likely cheaper.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Both are likely cheaper.
    Dollar wise maybe, but it'll cost you health wise. You can sell the part and make back some of your money. Can't buy back your health. You could loose your job, go to jail.
    Last edited by Methodical; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:44 AM.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Better than buying drugs or alcohol.
    oh, dunno about that...

    love my DA C24s that saved me ~500g for $750...but, have had some decent times with the cash-equivalence of uncut Peruvian flake and high-end bourbon.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    oh, dunno about that...

    love my DA C24s that saved me ~500g for $750...but, have had some decent times with the cash-equivalence of uncut Peruvian flake and high-end bourbon.
    Love my newly acquired DA C24s! Maybe not as cool looking as a deep section wheel, but a sub 1350 wheel set at a reasonable price? Fabulous. As for the uncut flake... No bourbon. Nothing that brings your throat back to life. Itíll take you some time to get off the toilet if itís really clean. Thatís what I'm told anyway.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Similar Threads

  1. Wind, or lack thereof
    By Peanya in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 12:41 PM
  2. Cell phone etiquette...or lack thereof
    By BuckeyeBiker in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 09:24 AM
  3. Religion (or lack thereof) poale
    By gregario in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 04-03-2009, 01:15 AM
  4. Page loading...or lack thereof....
    By Marc in forum SiteFeedback/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 04:01 PM
  5. Interesting Site regarding helmet use--or the lack thereof...
    By Free2Pedal in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 07:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.