Weight Weenies Only: Comprehending Weight Savings (or Lack Thereof)
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

Cool Weight Weenies Only: Comprehending Weight Savings (or Lack Thereof)

I'll admit, I'm a weight weenie and I don't even want to be. I don't want to be because being a weight weenie is very expensive and causes me to buy things that have no other benefit than the object weights a tiny bit less than it's cheapest counterpart.

That aside, how might a weight weenie justify spending $$$ on a part?

For me, the hard part of justifying the purchase of a part is that saying "this part weighs 92 grams less" doesn't mean a lot as I can't compare the weight in grams to something I know... until now!

Apparently a US nickel weighs 5 grams. Therefore, if you take the claimed weight savings of the uber-expensive carbon fiber miracle part you're considering mortgaging your house for, do this...

1. Calculate the weight savings (in grams) between your existing part and the new lighter part.

2. Divide the difference by 5 (grams/nickel). This will give you the number of nickels you'll no longer have to carry if you buy the expensive, light weight part!

I'm currently trying to justify buying XTR parts for my mountain bike. In a spreadsheet I created, the difference in weight between my existing components and the new XTR components is ~235 grams or ~47 nickels.

So imagine carrying around a bag of 47 nickels on your next ride... and every ride. While I can't really say the cost of XTR parts justifies that weight savings, that is a considerable amount of weight I'd rather not carry on every ride... especially if I was a racer (which I am not.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:28 PM.

Never Give Up!
    Great... now you have the FBI/Internal revenue watching/flagged this site by copy money and posting on the open web...
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    They'll understand once they realize this post is for the betterment of humanity

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Imagine carrying a bag of 47 nickels and a calculator on your next ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Imagine carrying a bag of 47 nickels and a calculator on your next ride.
    Hey now... I went to an engineering school a few gazillion years ago and our calculators were nothing to laugh at (weight-wise)!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Hey now... I went to an engineering school a few gazillion years ago and our calculators were nothing to laugh at (weight-wise)!!!
    Did they work better than your spreadsheet?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    Great... now you have the FBI/Internal revenue watching/flagged this site by copy money and posting on the open web...
    Im here. So they were already watching.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll admit, I'm a weight weenie and I don't even want to be. I don't want to be because being a weight weenie is very expensive and causes me to buy things that have no other benefit than the object weights a tiny bit less than it's cheapest counterpart.

For me, the hard part of justifying the purchase of a part is that saying "this part weighs 92 grams less" doesn't mean a lot as I can't compare the weight in grams to something I know... until now!

Apparently a US nickel weighs 5 grams. Therefore, if you take the claimed weight savings of the uber-expensive carbon fiber miracle part you're considering mortgaging your house for, do this...

1. Calculate the weight savings (in grams) between your existing part and the new lighter part.

2. Divide the difference by 5 (grams/nickel). This will give you the number of nickels you'll no longer have to carry if you buy the expensive, light weight part!

I'm currently trying to justify buying XTR parts for my mountain bike. In a spreadsheet I created, the difference in weight between my existing components and the new XTR components is ~1,256 grams or ~47 nickels.

So imagine carrying around a bag of 47 nickels on your next ride... and every ride. While I can't really say the cost of XTR parts justifies that weight savings, that is a considerable amount of weight I'd rather not carry on every ride... especially if I was a racer (which I am not.)
    I think I've gained at least 100 nickels since this pandemic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    I think I've gained at least 100 nickels since this pandemic.
    You're going to need to buy an ultra-light carbon wheelset to make-up for that!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

I'm currently trying to justify buying XTR parts for my mountain bike. In a spreadsheet I created, the difference in weight between my existing components and the new XTR components is ~1,256 grams or ~47 nickels.

There appears to be something wrong here. Or is it part of the new fuzzy math?
    You say that a nickle is 5 grams. You also claim that the difference in weight between exist components and the new XTR is ~1,256 grams or ~47 nickles. I get (5x47) = 235? But I may be off since I'm doing it in my head.

RoadBikeReview Member
    math is hard...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    There appears to be something wrong here. Or is it part of the new fuzzy math?
    You say that a nickle is 5 grams. You also claim that the difference in weight between exist components and the new XTR is ~1,256 grams or ~47 nickles. I get (5x47) = 235? But I may be off since I'm doing it in my head.
    Bwahaha! Yes, my numbers are borked (Original post corrected soon).

The difference between my existing and old group set is 235 grams... 1,256 grams was the approximate total weight for the components I'm considering buying.

Soooo... still carrying a bag of 47 nickels... still going to spend too much money on bike parts to support my disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    math is hard...
    Combine that with not having used Excel for a long time and not double checking my work and I'm screwed!

Banned Sock Puppet
    Oh man, this COVID-19 thing must really have you bored.

I'm thinking therapy and meds may be less expensive than "your disease".
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I'm thinking therapy and meds may be less expensive than "your disease".
    Might be a new job opportunity... Weight-weenie therapy. "Weight-weenie therapy is occasionally successful and couldn't possibly cost more than the disease/mental disorder itself does."

Banned Sock Puppet
    Might be a new job opportunity... Weight-weenie therapy. "Weight-weenie therapy is occasionally successful and couldn't possibly cost more than the disease/mental disorder itself does."
    Maybe a 12-stem program?
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Better than buying drugs or alcohol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    Both are likely cheaper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Both are likely cheaper.
    Dollar wise maybe, but it'll cost you health wise. You can sell the part and make back some of your money. Can't buy back your health. You could loose your job, go to jail.
    Last edited by Methodical; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:44 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    oh, dunno about that...

love my DA C24s that saved me ~500g for $750...but, have had some decent times with the cash-equivalence of uncut Peruvian flake and high-end bourbon.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    oh, dunno about that...

love my DA C24s that saved me ~500g for $750...but, have had some decent times with the cash-equivalence of uncut Peruvian flake and high-end bourbon.
    Love my newly acquired DA C24s! Maybe not as cool looking as a deep section wheel, but a sub 1350 wheel set at a reasonable price? Fabulous. As for the uncut flake... No bourbon. Nothing that brings your throat back to life. Itíll take you some time to get off the toilet if itís really clean. Thatís what I'm told anyway.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.