Well I did it.... I kissed a curb, and didn't like it!
    Never Give Up!

Well I did it.... I kissed a curb, and didn't like it!

The rookie move of the week my friend said as he smiled and chuckled are you okay...

So riding back home from our 35 mile pounding the pavement ride last week. My friend and I where casually riding and chatting during the last mile, when all of the sudden I slightly drifted to the right while taking my eyes off the road to turn my head to left.

It all happened so fast but moved in what felt like slow motion... I kissed the curb with my front tire. Before any thought process of what was going on. I was already on my down into a slow tumble-roll on to my back and coming to a stop just before my head would have collided with a tree and my face eating bark.

I laid there for what seemed like an eternity (a few seconds) and as sat up to gather what just happened. a car coming from the opposite direction pulled over, rolling down the window and yelled with laughter... " I saw that, I saw the whole thing" and drove away.

Front rim (carbon) a little scratched up, everything else looks fine... me, not a scratch, just a little bruised ego I guess.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

What the what???
    Don't feel too bad. Years ago, I was riding in a hellacious head wind. It was blowing dust and dirt in my eyes, so I kept dropping my head trying to avoid it. After a while, I realized I had been looking down for a long time (too long as it turned out). I look up just in time to see the back bumper of a parked car in front of me. I tried to swerve but it was too late. I hit it at almost full speed, flipped over the bars... over the corner of the car trunk... and landed flat on my ass on the road. Forks and front wheel were toast. Had to walk home and walk back to leave a note on the guy's windshield explaining what happened and giving him my contact info. He was very understanding.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

Haint
    Riding beneath a span of telephone poles which crossed over the road had a Bird out over the travel lane. The Bird crapped down the open portion of my shirt collar, it ran all the way down my back.

What the what???
    Oh... I already like where this thread is going...
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haint View Post
    Riding beneath a span of telephone poles which crossed over the road had a Bird out over the travel lane. The Bird crapped down the open portion of my shirt collar, it ran all the way down my back.
    Was the Bird a large one?

Was the Bird a big eater?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    YOU! .... should really consider your social distancing!!!
    BANNED

Haint
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Was the Bird a large one?

Was the Bird a big eater?
    It was a Dove. Not sure how often it'd frequent Old Man McGinty's Birdfeeder so cannot report on if it was a stacked dump or not.

Turd size? Is that what you might mean?? That's odd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I was doing a practice crit with the team one summer afternoon and had a bird turd land right on the spout of my water bottle. It was a big bird and well fed. I had a long hot ride home.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
    I was doing a practice crit with the team one summer afternoon and had a bird turd land right on the spout of my water bottle. It was a big bird and well fed. I had a long hot ride home.
    Somewhere on a bird forum there’s a bird bragging about his perfect turd that nailed a tiny bullseye that was in full motion. 😁

Never Give Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
    WOW... I will gladly take my lumps in the tuck and roll any day over a precise bird turd

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

2007 IRONHORSE HT

Haint
    Moral to be had goes like this: Nature, and riding a bike have only one equal.
    The Ballet

I think we all experienced our own ballet here tonight. A ballet of emotion and feelings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Go buy a lottery ticket... My wife kissed a curb about 6 or 7 years ago.. fractured skull, broken eye socket, concussion and lacerations... and yes she was wearing a helmet.. and 3 days in a trauma unit... Also found out I picked the wrong insurance.. which only covered 90% (not to derail the conversation, can start a new thread on health insurance some other time).. FYI.. 3 days in the trauma unit is f'ing expensive.

RoadBikeReview Member

The Dove
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    The rookie move of the week my friend said as he smiled and chuckled are you okay...

So riding back home from our 35 mile pounding the pavement ride last week. My friend and I where casually riding and chatting during the last mile, when all of the sudden I slightly drifted to the right while taking my eyes off the road to turn my head to left.

It all happened so fast but moved in what felt like slow motion... I kissed the curb with my front tire. Before any thought process of what was going on. I was already on my down into a slow tumble-roll on to my back and coming to a stop just before my head would have collided with a tree and my face eating bark.

I laid there for what seemed like an eternity (a few seconds) and as sat up to gather what just happened. a car coming from the opposite direction pulled over, rolling down the window and yelled with laughter... " I saw that, I saw the whole thing" and drove away.

Front rim (carbon) a little scratched up, everything else looks fine... me, not a scratch, just a little bruised ego I guess.
    Usually, you and your bike tend to drift in the direction of where your head is turning. Are you sure your front wheel didn't track into imperfect pavement or uneven pavement causing you to veer right?? sometimes things happen so suddenly that people don't recall what actually happened at the moment of the accident

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    And a reply of “pics or it didn’t happen”

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Somewhere on a bird forum there’s a bird bragging about his perfect turd that nailed a tiny bullseye that was in full motion. 😁
    And at least one “pics or it didn’t happen”

Never Give Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Usually, you and your bike tend to drift in the direction of where your head is turning. Are you sure your front wheel didn't track into imperfect pavement or uneven pavement causing you to veer right?? sometimes things happen so suddenly that people don't recall what actually happened at the moment of the accident
    This was all rider error.... pavement was clean and smooth, recently repaved last month.

2007 IRONHORSE HT