Well, I'll never use ebay again.
    waterproof*

Angry Well, I'll never use ebay again.

If the constant spam and phishing emails aren't enough, apparently my account has been compromised.

Not sure how, but does it matter? I haven't bid or posted in at least a year, hell I can't remember the last time, it's been so long. But... ebay thinks I owe them $17 bucks. Sheesh. We'll see if this ever gets straightened out.

Thanks for listening.

Creak.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Banned forever.....or not
    Please send me your credit card number and your SS number, and I will fix things up.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    If the constant spam and phishing emails aren't enough, apparently my account has been compromised.

Not sure how, but does it matter? I haven't bid or posted in at least a year, hell I can't remember the last time, it's been so long. But... ebay thinks I owe them $17 bucks. Sheesh. We'll see if this ever gets straightened out.

Thanks for listening.

Creak.
    I'm with you - converting to more Amazon transactions. If it isn't an auction with friends artificially inflating the price, it's some f**!tard trying to rip you off in one way or another. Ebay has become the internet mugging machine!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    It still has one use. The very hard to find obscure objects. I have found some things you would never believe.

Actually it has another too. If you buy cables of any sort and buy them at say a Best Buy you will pay 20Xs as much as you do from an ebay store...

Stick to stores, I dont use ebay as much as I once did but I will again in the future if I need that hard to find item.

other than that i agree with the other BS

Lemur-ing
    never used ebay before.

Probably would not use it too after all these scares.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

unfortunately

Thanks for listening.

Creak.
    stolen accounts are rampant. If you have an inactive account, its probably better to shut it down and start over when you come back, unless you have a lot of transactions that you dont want to lose. EBAY is relatively good about straightening out stolen acct issues (practice makes perfect). They should have a record of someone else's email attached to your account. As far as I know, the credit card/bank accts have never been compromised, they are kept separately. When mine was stolen I swore off too, but I came back....a little wiser

b21

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1021
    stolen accounts are rampant. If you have an inactive account, its probably better to shut it down and start over when you come back, unless you have a lot of transactions that you dont want to lose. EBAY is relatively good about straightening out stolen acct issues (practice makes perfect). They should have a record of someone else's email attached to your account. As far as I know, the credit card/bank accts have never been compromised, they are kept separately. When mine was stolen I swore off too, but I came back....a little wiser

b21
    Yeah stolen accounts suck big time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

banned

Ebay is Good.

I've never had any problems w/ Ebay or PayPal. I have had 1 fraudulent fishing email. It was easily recognized & I reported them to Ebay. Just donít give your info to suspicious requests. I have purchased so many things on Ebay for Ĺ price, & saved thousands of dollars to quit because of a little trash. Bikes 1 year old w/ 5 mi for half price? You canít get it any where else.

Jan 2006
    I've been on Ebay for years and only recently had a single bad experience with a 14-year old punk who "swears" he sent me the carbon handlebars I won/bought. Well that was in November of 06. He has my money and I don't have my bars. I was too patient and waited too long to file a complaint/claim and now I can't get ANY money back.

Even so... I've had numerous transactions since then and everything has gone just fine.

waterproof*
    Yep... I'm an IT guy by profession... I make it a point to dissect the phishing emails I get, and I never click thru an email anyway, always open the site from a new window. And the email account is not one that gets much spma anyway.. so I'm just not sure how the acct got stolen, which really concerns me. See, I'm a traveler and I'm very loose and promiscious with wireless connections... what else did some dude get?
    * not actually a Rock Star

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Over the past two years, I have had two credit card numbers hacked. Exactly how it happened, I have no idea. Both were caught relatively early because I check my accounts online frequently. The first started with a $3.?? charge for a weightloss supplement at the beginning of a billing cycle, which I thought my wife might have ordered, and then it ended with a $54.?? charge for the same weightloss supplement, which was ordered via a website, while we were in the Outer Banks with no internet access. So, I asked my wife about it and they were fraudulent. The other matter just happened this month. I started using a card that I haven't used in 2 years because of the cash back reward on it. I used it at Office Depot and Staples via the swipe method and used it to pay my cell phone and Vonage bills online. With only 4 or 5 transactions on the card, somebody got the number and used it to register for Paypal and Yahoo wallet and bought something through Paypal for $364.??. Now, I am waiting for the Affidavit pertaining to the transactions and my new card.

This entire identity theft/scamming issue really pisses me off. They should make the criminal penalties extremely high for this kind of stuff. Problem is that some countries promote this type of behaviour.

Aug 2006

Not sure how, but does it matter?....
    Last I heard about was the email-thing; people would send your eBay message box a message with a link in it, and if you hit that link to respond, it stole your account info because of some security hole in eBay's stuff.

--------

eBay was a great idea.

The only problem is that for every additional $50 an item costs, there's about a half-again chance that you're gonna get ripped off buying it or selling it (whichever applies).
    ~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Well there was a rumor

Yep... I'm an IT guy by profession... I make it a point to dissect the phishing emails I get, and I never click thru an email anyway, always open the site from a new window. And the email account is not one that gets much spma anyway.. so I'm just not sure how the acct got stolen, which really concerns me. See, I'm a traveler and I'm very loose and promiscious with wireless connections... what else did some dude get?
    more than a rumor really because it quoted some knowlegeable people, that EBAY accounts were stolen in successive order which would mean that the server was hacked, but EBAY has denied this. I am not sure how they got mine, I had been relatively inactive too, nothing else was hacked, and EBAY returned it in a few days. I had a buyer that the same thing happened to, and his was returned as well. As an IT guy you would know better than I, but I think the hackers get them through means other than phishing or hacking into our PCs, but I am not sure how.

b21

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

True that scams

Quote Originally Posted by Doug8002
    Last I heard about was the email-thing; people would send your eBay message box a message with a link in it, and if you hit that link to respond, it stole your account info because of some security hole in eBay's stuff.

--------

eBay was a great idea.

The only problem is that for every additional $50 an item costs, there's about a half-again chance that you're gonna get ripped off buying it or selling it (whichever applies).
    ~
    increase with the price, but I still believe that if you venture in it with the understanding of the dangers and the knowledge what to look for, it can work for you. I probably have had 700 auctions and the only problem that I had was a 2nd year law student berating me for my shipping on a $9 mirror. On the other hand my wife used it once and was scammed. I would say at least half the items involved went for $350 to $2000 too. I use it like I ride-defensively!!

b21

RoadBikeReview Member
    I still love ebay. I got brand new dura ace chain, 105 cassette (ten speed), 105 sti shifters, lightly used ultegra triple crankset, and a new 105 rear derailleur all for about 300 bucks. Those shifters alone would have been $300 plus shipping from a store, and they're new anyway.

Ebay is starting to turn into a seller's market; there are fewer and fewer deals, at least with what I'm buying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Yep. More and more people know about ebay, so it is really tough to find deals anymore. What ebay is good for is the sale of used stuff. I sold a bunch of stuff earlier in the year that I would have had to throw in the trash because I would have never been able to find a buyer. Trying to find a bargain on new bike parts is tough, but it can still be done. Sometimes, I can find a deal on ebay that is lower than any retailer's price, but it involves a lot of patience.