RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018

Wet weather tires for Triathlon training

Hi Guys, It's been many years since I posted in this forum (even had to re-register due to changes in work email address), so please bear with me.

I'm a rather slow Triathlete, lucky enough to get a spot to the Ironman Wolrd Champs in Kona in October. Only problem is that I am in New Zealand, where the weather is heading towards autumn, and lots of cold wet weather on the training horizon. I'm also rather tall so my 61 cm P3 bike is rather unstable and akin to riding an inverted pendulum. I'm thinking that I need some decent wet weather tires for the next few months (local surface is mostly tarseal). My preferred race tires have been Vittoria Open Corsa 23mm clinchers but they don't fill me with confidence in the wet.

Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

banned
    Nov 2009
    I would consider buying some quality tires that are made to ride adequately in the rain, but that’s just me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Yes, that was the aim. Any recommendations?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    What air pressure do you use?
    If you can fit 25 or 28 and use fairly low PSI I think that'll do more for you than using specifically rain tires. Granted I'm not doing crits or going hard down mountains in the rain but Vit corsas and any other tires I've used has been fine in the rain.

Corsas may be too expensive and fragile to be a good choice for the type of training miles I imagine you need to do but I would think with proper PSI and size they'd be just fine in the rain.
    Roads only get really slippery when rain releases oil from the tar and I think the actual rubber compound has only a small effect on that compared to size and PSI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    What air pressure do you use?
    If you can fit 25 or 28 and use fairly low PSI I think that'll do more for you than using specifically rain tires. Granted I'm not doing crits or going hard down mountains in the rain but Vit corsas and any other tires I've used has been fine in the rain.

Corsas may be too expensive and fragile to be a good choice for the type of training miles I imagine you need to do but I would think with proper PSI and size they'd be just fine in the rain.
    Roads only get really slippery when rain releases oil from the tar and I think the actual rubber compound has only a small effect on that compared to size and PSI.
    I would agree with all of this. Use the widest tires that will fit and the lowest pressure you can get away with without getting pinch flats. AND....stay away from that slippery white line between the road and the shoulder!

And yes, for riding on wet roads, you will probably want something more puncture resistant. Wet roads pick up more debris and make punctures more likely. Maybe a pair of Vittoria Rubinos or if you really want to go bulletproof with albeit a little harsher ride, go with a pair of Maxxis Refuses.

Just a side note, I have seen bike tires marketed as being "hydroplane resistant". This is poppycock! The fact is bikes neither have a large enough contact patch nor do they ever go fast enough to hydroplane.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I ride through winter in NZ and have found conti 4 seasons a good wet weather tire with good puncture resistants you may be able to get 25's on your P3 28's may be to wide .I'm 94kg and run my conti 4seasons 28mm at 70psi no problems at all (riding Gaint TCR) 28's only just fit .