What’s Your Top Speed? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    My top speed was 160 mph in a borrowed Porsche 930 turbo. Don't ask....
    LOVE the 930s. My fastest - 193 in a modified Lamborghini (which does 220+)... owner said "Sorry" Me: "Why?" Driver: "I wanted you to be able say you did 200, but we ran out of road"

I hit 51 mph yesterday on my gravel bike - on a gravel decent. Okay well, my computer thinks we went 51. I don't. I saw high 36, 38, 41, 43, then 51 and back to 38. Granted I was glancing down, not "watching" the little Wahoo Bolt. But I'd all but guarantee the 51 mph reading was a GPS misread.

Strava shows my max speed for that ride as 51.4 mph... which of course, isn't accurate. If you're using a wheel/speed sensor for these numbers, your numbers are likely more accurate than the GPS.
    Last edited by OldZaskar; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:45 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Cool

On 2-wheel:

On a bicycle, descending Mt. Haleakala on Maui; I think I hit 62+ mph (100 kmh) on a rental Litespeed, back in 2010.

From Paia, to the top observatory, 3 1/2 hr pedaling up hill (with food stops), less than 30 min. to ride back down.
    Last edited by \"none\"; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:44 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    https://strava.app.link/sIMH0QNUT6

I just did 61.9 mph on my gravel bike coming down Teton Pass. It may not be the fastest i have ever gone, but it felt damn smokin’. 38 file tread tires, Felt SO stable compared to 25’s or whatever. Top gear 11/48, but I don’t think that matters at those coasting speeds.

What’s yours?
    Crazy. My fastest was around 41 or 42 mph, also on my gravel bike. All I kept thinking about was how long of a streak of skin I would leave on the road if a tire blew off the rim, etc. I'll pass on going any faster than that.
    Joe Biden: a case study in plastic surgery disasters.

Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli

Neophyte
    I have only been over 50 MPH a few times, and all on the same road. I think every time was pre-Strava so it doesn't even count :-) .

I've never really been that gung ho about that kind of speed, one bad bike crash in a lifetime is enough (and mine wasn't even that bad, just busted collarbone but helmet did save me from much worse). I feel MUCH more mortal as I've gotten older, and have a family that depends on me. Also, we all have so many friends that have crashed, don't we? Front tire blowing out, idiot car coming the other direction, turkeys and squirrels...

Descending definitely takes talent, there's skill in it for sure, but for safety's sake I invest my effort in the uphill endeavors more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quite a few years ago I was able to hit 46 on a straight downhill near where I grew up. I think I've only been in the low 40s since. Last summer we were in Lead, SD and that's the first mountain environment I've rode my bike in. Going down toward Deadwood I don't recall pedaling but was fighting to stay in the 30s. With all the curves and my not recovering from injuries like I used to I was a bit skeered.

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    https://strava.app.link/sIMH0QNUT6

I just did 61.9 mph on my gravel bike coming down Teton Pass. It may not be the fastest i have ever gone, but it felt damn smokin’. 38 file tread tires, Felt SO stable compared to 25’s or whatever. Top gear 11/48, but I don’t think that matters at those coasting speeds.

What’s yours?
    That's fast! Gotta' agree with you on the stable feeling of 38's. I'm riding on the road with 38's (Hutchinson Overide) and they roll very very well at 60-70 psi. I'm sure they suffer a bit in the aero department but I don't feel like I'm giving anything in terms of rolling resistance.

I've driven Teton Pass but never ridden it. It's steep! I can see how you hit 60.

My fastest is just past 50 going down Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons in Utah. I was on 25's then and started dragging the brakes at that speed. I'd like to give it a shot on my wider tires but I don't live there anymore.

Master debator.
    56.1 MPH on my road bike on a long steep descent. I've gone over 35 MPH on my mountain bike with trees whizzing by 3 feet away that is a lot scarier than the road bike. I've hit in the low 40's on a gravel cross bike on bumpy steep gravel descents on 32mm tires and that is scarier than fast and smooth on a road bike also.

I've also gone as fast as any vehicle I have ever had will go, including around 300 kph on a 1000cc crotch rocket.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    190 in a Volvo rental on the Autobahn going to the German GP in 2003. Of course, that was kph.

55.3 on a bike in a RR two years ago. Funny, that descent is not that steep (Strava has it maxing at 14.4%) or long (about 3/10th of a mile), and the approach is slow as you crest a pretty big hill, turn right, and then right into the downhill. You need to be in a group to exceed about 50, but it's good for high 40s solo (as I have found out previously after being dropped on that course). Funny that I'm not a great descender, but Strava has me in a 6 way tie for 5th fastest.

RoadBikeReview Member

GPS Speed?

Wahoo Bolt computer with a speed sensor.
    It counts.
    And it looks like my bike is faster
    On the internet the Wahoo Bolt is described as: "a high-end GPS cycling computer". Looking at the descriptions on sites that sell it it doesn't describe a speed sensor but it says it's ANT compatible. If it's getting your speed via GPS than your top speed is very inaccurate.

The many times I've ridden the pass my top speed has usually been 55. And this is on a road bike with 23c tires, descending in as tight of a tuck as I can with my hands holding the bars at the stem, not on the drops. Once I was doing this on the long straight and a big gust of wind came over the top and hit me with a blast of tailwind. My speed went to 58.5. The semi-aero wheels on the bike I have today would be faster. Still I think your computer is basing your speed on inaccurate GPS speed. Guys in Jackson say they go 65. I think that this could politely be called an exaggeration.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I roughly recall some 48 Mph’s on a bike.

Stuff in the 120’s in a 1978 Datsun 280Z.

...both when I wore a younger man’s clothes.

a little too stoked
    Warp Factor Nine.

Wanted to go faster, but this guy named Scotty kept yelling that it wouldn’t take anymore.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Over 20 years ago on a local decent I registered 56+ mph. On a slight blind turn I had to cross the double yellow line and almost hit the other side curb just to make the turn to stay upright. Lucky there were no cars coming towards me. That turn got me scared so much that I do not think I ever exceeded 45 mph ever since.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

~ Benjamin Franklin

RoadBikeReview Member
    155 mph on a motorcycle

55 mph downhill on my road bike - could have gone faster, but started thinking about what would happen if I hit a rock, had a flat, or needed to to stop quickly.

39 mph in a sprint

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Warp Factor Nine. Wanted to go faster, but this guy named Scotty kept yelling that it wouldn’t take anymore.
    I really don't think that applies here, as warp'ing is considered folding the fabric of space, doesn't really have much to do with 'speed'.
    BANNED

a little too stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I really don't think that applies here, as warp'ing is considered folding the fabric of space, doesn't really have much to do with 'speed'.
    I didn't say I didn't cheat.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12