Whatís Your Top Speed?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cleavage Of The Tetons

Whatís Your Top Speed?

https://strava.app.link/sIMH0QNUT6

I just did 61.9 mph on my gravel bike coming down Teton Pass. It may not be the fastest i have ever gone, but it felt damn smokiní. 38 file tread tires, Felt SO stable compared to 25ís or whatever. Top gear 11/48, but I donít think that matters at those coasting speeds.

Whatís yours?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Truly impressive. I think I once did fifty. Nowadays I'm happy if I hit 30.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

I just did 61.9 mph on my gravel bike coming down Teton Pass. It may not be the fastest i have ever gone, but it felt damn smokiní. 38 file tread tires, Felt SO stable compared to 25ís or whatever. Top gear 11/48, but I donít think that matters at those coasting speeds.

Whatís yours?
    Fastest I've ever gone was coming down Mt. Wilson, CA, a 22 mile run. Took two hours to get up it, about 30 minutes back down. Couldn't push through that wall of air faster than 48.5 mph, as much as I tried getting aero. The air got thicker the lower I got. The next highest was going due north along a beach road in Rehobeth Beach, DE. A steady tailwind blew me several miles at 30 mph, spinning the 53-13 like Bernard Hinault. It was wonderful. Paid for it dearly coming back.

You said your bike was so stable at 61 mph. Those things are so lightweight, the slightest disturbance could lead to wheel wobble or a wipeout. A gravel bike could handle it properly, though. Bigger tires? Sure! I did it on 28 mm tubulars, almost as good! The trusty DeRosa SL/SLX lugged frame on 36 spoked wheels held as steady as a motorcycle. Whipping through La Canada with traffic at 25 mph felt like the Tour De France.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I remember riding down US 24 in Colorado Springs (in the earl 80's when it was legal to ride on that road). I had a Cateye computer with a wheel magnet. I learned that day that the speed display maxed out at 55 mph, and at that point the display just blinked "55" until you dropped below that speed. I have no idea exactly how fast we got up to. It was surely over 60mph. The highway had just been paved and it was smooth as a babies butt, and I was riding 23mm tubular tires at about 110psi. We were flying (it was an afternoon team fast group ride). I remember thinking, just at the point we had to start slowing, about all of the things that could go wrong (tire failure, spoke failure, hub failure, brake failure, rider failure, etc..). I know that if that front wheel had failed and the fork blades hit the pavement, it would have launched me into Kansas. That was the first and last time I was over 50mph. I do dearly love a fast descent to this day. I have much better equipment now, but I don't ever see much over 35-40 these days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    45 coming down from Clingman's Dome, my compact crank didn't help any.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

xxl
    [QUOTE=rideit;5420949]https://strava.app.link/sIMH0QNUT6

Wow, that's positively sphincter-closing!

My fastest speed was 52 MPH, downhill on a fully-loaded tourer. I flatted the front tire while doing so, but miraculously did not dump the bike.

I'm not sure my sphincter has ever recovered from that!
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are 2.6 million covid cases in the United States (as of June 30), five months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Truly impressive. I think I once did fifty. Nowadays I'm happy if I hit 30.
    I used to be a pretty good descender, but as I've aged, I'm turning chickenshizzle, and much over 30 is scary.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are 2.6 million covid cases in the United States (as of June 30), five months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    So this one time I passed a guy on a crappy old hybrid at the top of Crawford Notch in NH. He was easily 280 pounds, gym shorts and sneakers, no helmet, worn out from the climb he was barely moving, you get the picture.

On the descent he passed me like I was standing still. I looked down and I was doing 45. I'm still amazed by it.

I haven't used a computer in years but I don't think I've been beyond 48 which is the highest I remember recording.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    51 miles coming down the first foothill below Cheaha Mt, in Alabama, but as others have said i'm getting old and 35/40 is about all I will do now.

Old enough to remember ..
    Did just over 80 kmh a few times back in the days, which was fast enough that cars wouldn't pass.
    Cheers

HJ
    ------------------------------
    Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream, BC Canada

RoadBikeReview Member

Strava is BS

Strava doesn't count. The maximum speeds are very inaccurate. On a gravel bike your tires have a lot of rolling and wind resistance. So does your bike. I've never reached a speed of 60 on that ride on a much faster bike than your gravel bike. Bike computer speed?

Huge in Japan
    I don't remember if it was 59.5 or 59.7 mph, it seems dumb that all I can recall is that it wasn't 60. That was 20 or maybe a bit more years ago and in a 30 mph zone which made me proud (coasting though mind you). Now days when I get over 45 I start to sit up or move my knees to wind brake, I'm a little bit more risk averse with age. A little.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

Whatís yours?
    About 50 and it was a scary experience. The road had a canopy of trees over top so it was somewhat dark but then I was getting blinding flashes of light when the trees opened up, which made it really hard to see.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    45 mph on my mtb coming down a paved mountain road in PA.

Saw my life flash before my eyes when a mama deer and her fawn decided to mosey across the road ahead of me.

Fortunately, the deer and I avoided being road kill.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlaloc View Post
    Strava doesn't count. The maximum speeds are very inaccurate. On a gravel bike your tires have a lot of rolling and wind resistance. So does your bike. I've never reached a speed of 60 on that ride on a much faster bike than your gravel bike. Bike computer speed?
    Wahoo Bolt computer with a speed sensor.
    It counts.
    And it looks like my bike is faster
    Last edited by rideit; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:07 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    1960's 13 years old on my new Schwinn Varsity a cable driven speedometer 50 mph on the steepest hill in Clyde Hill Washington. I was a small wimpy kid on a bike that was too big for me, the seat was all the way down, but when on the bike I felt like superman. Still do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I remember riding down US 24 in Colorado Springs (in the earl 80's when it was legal to ride on that road). I had a Cateye computer with a wheel magnet. I learned that day that the speed display maxed out at 55 mph, and at that point the display just blinked "55" until you dropped below that speed. I have no idea exactly how fast we got up to. It was surely over 60mph. The highway had just been paved and it was smooth as a babies butt, and I was riding 23mm tubular tires at about 110psi. We were flying (it was an afternoon team fast group ride). I remember thinking, just at the point we had to start slowing, about all of the things that could go wrong (tire failure, spoke failure, hub failure, brake failure, rider failure, etc..). I know that if that front wheel had failed and the fork blades hit the pavement, it would have launched me into Kansas. That was the first and last time I was over 50mph. I do dearly love a fast descent to this day. I have much better equipment now, but I don't ever see much over 35-40 these days.
    Yup. I was riding with a guy whose speedo was already topped out at 55 and I was pulling away from him pretty quickly. A legend in my own mind.

flinty-eyed moderator
    high 50's on an aero race bike with aero wheels- but caliper brakes. I tapped out even thought there was more to be had (steep road descent) as an error or idiot squirrel would have been calamitous.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

What the what???
    I hit 53 dropping into the Mississippi river valley at the end of RAGBRAI in 2007. All I could think was that one turtle with a case of wanderlust and that would be the end of me...

As for Strava, I don't know. I can say I got done with a ride a few years ago using Cyclemeter and was surprised to see my top speed for the ride.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Opus51569; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:59 AM.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    52 mph many years ago. I got dropped on a climb in a race and was trying to chase back on (I didnít).

I hit mid 40ís regularly on my local Blue Ridge rides. Last summer I hit 49 or 50 coming off the Blue Ridge Parkway by Wintergreen. Thatís a really nice descent because thereís a brewery at the bottom. I stopped there and a lady told me she wanted to pass me (In her car) but I was going too fast.

Banned forever.....or not
    On a downhill?......On the flats, by yourself?....In a field sprint???
    1)...Somewhere in the 50's, in a group.
    2)Ö???
    3)...38 mph.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Last edited by rideit; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:51 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Donít recall exact speed but it was 55-ish on Transmountain Rd in El Paso, TX...long downgrade with sweeping curves. Was exhilarating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Yup. I was riding with a guy whose speedo was already topped out at 55 and I was pulling away from him pretty quickly. A legend in my own mind.
    Another legend here...

I really don't like going much over 50mph, but bombing our local canyons in the 35-45 range is a lot of fun!

Hearing about pros doing 80mph down Simlon Pass in Switzerland gives me a pucker factor of 11+. As one pro requested, "Don't tell my mom!"
    There I was...

Russian Troll Farmer
    My top speed was 160 mph in a borrowed Porsche 930 turbo. Don't ask....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast