What about your upper body?
    banned

What about your upper body?

Do you have a pure bicyclist's physique (thin upper body)? Or do you also do upper body strength work. A lot of people gauge fitness as to how your upper body looks. I think it's a good idea to have a balance physique. I ride 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year (mostly on a single speed track bike). I also work out my upper body.

I use a Total Gym every other day whuch is very good for the shoulders, arms, and core. On the other days I do push ups (2 sets of 30) and pull ups (2 sets of 15) for power in the triceps and biceps. I did 21 pull ups at a Marine Corps pull up challenge (the max prize was for 20) without breaking a sweat. I am 5' 10", 156 lbs, and now have to wear large jerseys.

Admittedly, having a strong upper body doesn't help too much on the bike, but not all of us are training for the Tour de France. As we get older, we steadily lose muscle mass. Strength training can reverse that trend and keep your metabolism high.

RoadBikeReview Member

Shhhhhh!!! Don't give away the secret....

Quote Originally Posted by KillerQuads
    Do you have a pure bicyclist's physique (thin upper body)? Or do you also do upper body strength work. A lot of people gauge fitness as to how your upper body looks. I think it's a good idea to have a balance physique. I ride 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year (mostly on a single speed track bike). I also work out my upper body.

I use a Total Gym every other day whuch is very good for the shoulders, arms, and core. On the other days I do push ups (2 sets of 30) and pull ups (2 sets of 15) for power in the triceps and biceps. I did 21 pull ups at a Marine Corps pull up challenge (the max prize was for 20) without breaking a sweat. I am 5' 10", 156 lbs, and now have to wear large jerseys.

Admittedly, having a strong upper body doesn't help too much on the bike, but not all of us are training for the Tour de France. As we get older, we steadily lose muscle mass. Strength training can reverse that trend and keep your metabolism high.
    I do a regimen of exercises at home to stregthen the core and upper body. I have some lower back issues which crop up from time to time. In the last few years, I really made a point of exercising the core to keep the lower back pain away. I've found that a strong core can make a significant difference in bike performance. It's difficult to quantify but when you make a point of using those muscle on the bike, you can notice a difference.

I'm able to wring just a little bit extra out of my body by using the core muscles while climbing. You can get a lot out of using your arms and your legs to ride. The muscles in the middle have to be strong in order to get the full reward. I'll also able to pedal smoothly in a very aero position without discomfort. I also happen to MTB and find that the benefits of a strong core are even more pronounced in that discipline.

My exercises consist of Push-Ups, Crunches, Dips, and Leg Lifts. It's not much but I can do them in front of the TV without special machines or gym memberships. One night, I will do 3 sets of 30 push-ups. I vary the location of my hands with regard to my shoulders to make them more difficult and use different muscles. I'll also do 3 sets of 30 crunches, I tuck a dumbell under my chin to add difficulty and alter the exercise to use different ab muscles. The next night, I'll do the same number of Dips and Leg Lifts. Dips are done using my coffee table with a dumbell between my thighs. Leg Lifts are done with a dumbell between my ankles. I'll do these exercises about 5 days a week.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002

Upper body work for active recovery

I am a believer in complementing bike workouts with upper body training. My workouts are short, 30 - 40 minutes and provide a mental break from riding as well. The guys I ride with mix up the biking with gym workouts also.

Having the upper body strength has helped for steep climbs. Another benefit seems to be that during long rides, my neck and shoulders do not ache as much especially toward the end of a century ride.

Might also prevent more serious injury in the event of a crash...

The extra upper body mass could very well be a liability for prospective TDF riders, but how many of us fall into that category?

During the off-season, I will add more weight as upper body strength increases. During cycling season it is more moderate. One, because of the intensity of riding and two because our rides are rolling to hilly and prefer to keep the workouts more cycling specific.

Paul..

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Last edited by Foober; 05-05-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Looks fast, rides slow
    I try to do weight training on my non-riding days...but only for my upper-body. Right now I'm alternating between two types of workout: push (mostly bench) and pull (pull-ups, curls, etc)

I thing having strong upper-body really helps you on the climbs...plus it keeps your body more in balance.

K-Zero

banned

Total Gym

The Total Gym is not only good for the upper body, but also the core. You can do inverted sit ups and crunches (feet higher than your head) and inclined leg raises (feet below your head). This adds resistance and lets you get to the burn with fewer reps and a shorter time. It's a great time saver. Also, after I do the inverted sit ups, I hang head down by my feet for a few minutes to stretch out my back and decompress my intervertebral discs. This has greatly reduced my back problems.

I bought the Total Gym 5 years ago and have used it either every day or every other day since then. Sorry if it sounds like spam, but it works for me.

RoadBikeReview Member

Upper body work

I ride hills on a fixed gear.