Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Iím still in withdrawals since it ended. You get used to the mental escape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    I've only watched the first four stages, still have the rest recorded and ready to go. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    good entertainment. Thomas was impressive. I would not have minded if Froome won as he is a modern legend and greatest cyclist in the pro circuit (and nicest gentleman in the Pro circuit too), but I would not mind if any of these great champions won it. What I really wanted to see was other teams putting real pressure on Sky, but Movistar played their cards poorly and only Dumoulin did everything right - he did put big pressure on Sky.

so many ex-Sky riders touted as the next big thing while with Sky .. never seem to amount to the next big thing (Porte, Landa, Nieve)
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 07-31-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    In that case, the term "Brit" fits better I suppose.
    "Brit" or "British" certainly fits better than "English" (which is simply not accurate). I don't know whether a Welshman might prefer "Welsh", however. I know that people from Scotland generally prefer to be called "Scottish" or "Scots" rather than "British," but I don't think Wales has the same intensity of nationalist feeling.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

Off the back
    Most rider's tires sure looked closer to 23mm than 25mm.
    Must be a sound reason for it, other than tradition or superstition.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I miss it already.
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    "Brit" or "British" certainly fits better than "English" (which is simply not accurate). I don't know whether a Welshman might prefer "Welsh", however. I know that people from Scotland generally prefer to be called "Scottish" or "Scots" rather than "British," but I don't think Wales has the same intensity of nationalist feeling.
    70 years ago the Welsh were looked down upon as country rubes, speaking their own Celtic language until recently. Are they where the expression "to Welsh out on a payment" comes from? Possibly why they don't brag about their cultural identity like the Irish or Scots.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    Noticed teh same thing. Could be its the new "wide rims." Anyone else notice the big fat aero rims are gone? They're all riding gossamer compact rims, like back in the old days. They all used these rims in the mountain stages, lighter, less susceptible to sidewinds at 45 mph. Good riddance to those fat rims. They always ruined the look of the bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I thought the Taylor Phinney stuff was sophomoric. "Hey everybody, watch while I spin around in a circle and take photos." Ugh.

The Tour itself, I very much enjoyed. I recorded every stage and watched them, fast forwarding thru commercials and such. I really enjoy when they ride thru the small towns. The scenery is so beautiful.

I was glad to see Sagan do well, and I like that it wasn't the "Froom show".
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I learned that having most of elite sprinters eliminated made the final stage more boring than it already has been. I hope they do something about it next year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    I thought the Taylor Phinney stuff was sophomoric. "Hey everybody, watch while I spin around in a circle and take photos." Ugh.

The Tour itself, I very much enjoyed. I recorded every stage and watched them, fast forwarding thru commercials and such. I really enjoy when they ride thru the small towns. The scenery is so beautiful.

I was glad to see Sagan do well, and I like that it wasn't the "Froom show".
    It was nice Froome helped Thomas like a gentleman, when he realized he wasn't going to eliminate his time deficit. Must have had breathing difficulties! Heh heh.

Sagan will always be cool. Those new guys breaking away and winning stages were cool, too.

The beautiful scenery and scale of the roads and towns, perfect for bicycling, got me lusting after doing those same routes with panniers, stopping to eat and drink along the way, taking up the whole summer. A sweet life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Van Avermaet for me was the big deal of this TdF.

scott s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Noticed teh same thing. Could be its the new "wide rims." Anyone else notice the big fat aero rims are gone? They're all riding gossamer compact rims, like back in the old days. They all used these rims in the mountain stages, lighter, less susceptible to sidewinds at 45 mph. Good riddance to those fat rims. They always ruined the look of the bikes.
    did you really look into it?

stage1 - winner Gaviria .. on Roval clx50 'at 29.4mm one of the widest rims on the market'
    stage 2 - winner Sagan Roval clx50 , same as Gaviria
    stage 3 - TTT Team BMC. PRO wheels, Corsa 25mm tires. wiide

GVA riding in Yellow several stages on BMC Team Machine - Dura Ace 9100 rims C60, 25mm tires wiiide modern tires

need we go on?

the riders have always used svelte stuff in the mountains, but for the non mountain stages, they go with what works, and that is not 23mm tires nor pinky-finger-deep GP4 rims.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Sagan continues to demonstrate his bike racing skills and always adds that extra excitement to any race he is in.

Sky is the best team out there. Money helps, separate laundry machines and 3D printed TT bars and strong riders.

NBCSN coverage was very good between guy on moto, Bob and Christian and of course the video angles. Much better than ever.

Taylor Phinney as a rider very impressive but his Vlog stuff was total fail. I used to like the guy's commentaries in the past but his TDF stuff was pretty lame, not sure what was going on there.

Lawson Craddock is amazing!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    Guys...Every stage was won on wider rims. 7 stages won by Roval wheels with external widths ranging from 32mm-27.4mm with internal of 21mm; 6 stages won on Shimano with 28mm external width; 3 stages won on Campagnolo with 24.2mm external width; 2 stages won on PRO (I assume TT discs) with 24mm external width; 2 stages won on Corima WS+ with 26mm external width and finally 1 stage won on Bontrager Aeolus XXX with as best I can tell 21mm internal (not sure on external width but if 21 internal they are well past 24mm external which is wide).

Given every stage was won on wide rims I'm guessing the minimum width tire used was 25mm-28mm (depending on manufacturer) to match external width. The one possible exception are the 2 TT stages where they may have run 23mm for aerodynamic reasons but, I don't know.

Point is...wider is better. Wider is here to stay. Try it. You may find you like it. I know I did and would subjectively say it's one of the few improvements you may be able to notice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    did you really look into it?

stage1 - winner Gaviria .. on Roval clx50 'at 29.4mm one of the widest rims on the market'
    stage 2 - winner Sagan Roval clx50 , same as Gaviria
    stage 3 - TTT Team BMC. PRO wheels, Corsa 25mm tires. wiide

GVA riding in Yellow several stages on BMC Team Machine - Dura Ace 9100 rims C60, 25mm tires wiiide modern tires

need we go on?

the riders have always used svelte stuff in the mountains, but for the non mountain stages, they go with what works, and that is not 23mm tires nor pinky-finger-deep GP4 rims.
    Ok, a few riders were on the fat aero rims on the flat stages. Still, those gossamer minimum weight rims they rode up the mountains are back to the future. If these rims were "wide" a 25 mm tire would look about like a 23 mm tire on the rim. Most of those guys are still riding tubulars, aren't they?

And hey, I wouldn't want to descend a mountain at 45 mph on "pinky-finger deep GP4 rims!" They were crap, anyway. Spoke tension would distort the brake surfaces. Actually, that's exactly what I had going down Mt. Wilson, CA, my only true mountain experience. Clinchers would have been smoother, and probably faster.

Nice to see svelte minimal rims and more spokes. Makes sense in terms of load distribution in the wheel and repairability. IMO, not to mention weight.

Also noticed skinnier frame tubing and those short seat stays that connect further down on the seat tube. Could see the two as improvements in response as well as comfort.

Proud luddite
    I learned that the TDF organizers need to figure out a way to keep the elite sprinters in the race all the way to Paris. That sprint on Sunday was pathetic. Seriously....Kristoff???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Point is...wider is better. Wider is here to stay. Try it. You may find you like it. I know I did and would subjectively say it's one of the few improvements you may be able to notice.
    Anyone that has been around elite world class athletes knows they have a lot of strange ideas and are adverse to change that is proven for the better but flies in the face of "tradition or myth."

Tire width on the bikes, in general, is one such example. Wider is in most cases
    better. Faster and more comfortable. In the near future, I believe you will see wider tires on many more bikes and the new standard will be wider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    Anyone that has been around elite world class athletes knows they have a lot of strange ideas and are adverse to change that is proven for the better but flies in the face of "tradition or myth."

Tire width on the bikes, in general, is one such example. Wider is in most cases
    better. Faster and more comfortable. In the near future, I believe you will see wider tires on many more bikes and the new standard will be wider.
    Rim width (outer but more importantly inner) is what really makes a wider tire feel good and perform imo/e. A 25mm on a 21 internal v. an older 13, 14, 15 are worlds apart. Yeah wider tires great but wider rim to make the tire shine...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Rim width (outer but more importantly inner) is what really makes a wider tire feel good and perform imo/e. A 25mm on a 21 internal v. an older 13, 14, 15 are worlds apart. Yeah wider tires great but wider rim to make the tire shine...
    Yep. Been riding on 19 mm internal width rims since I started in the early '80s, running 25 mm tires always, except the commuter, 28 mm. I know, I know, the slight 2 mm increase to 21 mm would surely make a difference, but I'm almost there, so will probably stick with what I got: bullet proof 36 spoked aluminum touring rims.

The "fat" rims I'm referring to are the vertically fat TT rims, not the horizontally "fat" rounder rims. Those are lust worthy! Mostly aesthetics. Massive looking wheels are out of proportion to the skinny frames they're on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Yep. Been riding on 19 mm internal width rims since I started in the early '80s, running 25 mm tires always, except the commuter, 28 mm. I know, I know, the slight 2 mm increase to 21 mm would surely make a difference, but I'm almost there, so will probably stick with what I got: bullet proof 36 spoked aluminum touring rims.

The "fat" rims I'm referring to are the vertically fat TT rims, not the horizontally "fat" rounder rims. Those are lust worthy! Mostly aesthetics. Massive looking wheels are out of proportion to the skinny frames they're on.
    Ah I misunderstood your post. Apologies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I like when they take a quick diversion to talk with Jens. He cracks me up with a good sense of humor, and an interesting accent.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

banned
    Nov 2009
    I like Bobke he said he prefers rim brakes!

My Man!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    What I learned:
    Jens can't pick the winners but is funny as heck
    Nairo isn't as boring as I had thought
    Descending is scary even for pros
    Taylor talking about how fast the finishes are sounds like he is a fan

flinty-eyed moderator
    That we have been saying Jens last name wrong for 15 years!
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast