Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    a real member's member

what did you learn from the 2018 tdf?

i learned ...

- about benefits of the trek isospeed "suspension" on the cobblestones.
    - the french are still relevant, winning multiple stages.
    - the first use of discs in the tdf was a success with stage wins.
    - watching is still a fantastic way to spend an afternoon (or 21 of them).

i started this here in "general" to get a wider range of views, especially from those that don't frequent the racing subforum. i'm trying to learn here, not read a bunch of trolling (which is getting really old).
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    anyone setting off smoke bombs/flares should be arrested and/or subjected to a beat-down by other spectators.

this moronic act is hazardous to the riders and can impact the race results.

it needs to stop.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Radios should be banned for all stages and the motorcyclist cameramen should be replaced by drones. Hard to draft a drone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I learned that the spectators who caused or attempted to cause a crash of racer/s weren't prosecuted. Thus the cycle will continue.

The Slow One.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Radios should be banned for all stages and the motorcyclist cameramen should be replaced by drones. Hard to draft a drone.
    Yeah, nothing could go wrong with that.

They just need to pull motorcycles off before descents or find some way to get them out of the way. The desire to get the perfect shot has created more than one dangerous situation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I learned that Chris Froome has a tongue

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    NBC Sport Gold subscription was/is well worth it. No ads, good commentary every stage!

Other than that I'm continually amazed at the energy expenditure these guys can do day after day especially guys who crash and continue...Lawson Craddock, etc...How can they perform with such a caloric deficit (during the stage). 6000-10,000 calories each stage and can probably consume half that? And then put out the power they do at the end of the stage? Damn.

Amazed at the sprinters humping through the mountain stages to make the time cuts. Arnaud Demare barely making the cut then winning the next stage! Wow! Guys like Cav not making it.

Love the clothing and how aero it all has become. Not surprised but, road speedsuits seem very common. Aero socks are common and in the TTT and ITT aero overshoes/socks are common.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    That Froome still looks like an ectomorphic monster on the bike...and that his constant head dropping is so he can breathe easier not look at his powermeter. I am sooooo glad he didn't win.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    For the Froome haters, this may be of good action.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    IMO, you still need cars/motorcycles to in the TdF... You know, clear the way from crazy fans getting in the way of the riders.

BlackFrancios, IMO, I don't think disc brakes were a "success" by any means. But if you're saying disc brakes were a "success" because Sagan, Gaviria, and others won multiple stages this year in the TdF... Then you're absolutely right.

But IMO, I don't think discs were a "success" because for all the stages won on discs, disc brakes had nothing to do with the wins.. All the wins have more to do with the riders than "brakes" since brakes are were ever not a huge priority on Sprint stages.

Also, majority of the peloton were still riding rim brakes... A lot of us thought discs will be the majority. But that wasn't really the case..

Lastly IMO, disc brakes are a failure for the pro peloton... Mainly because teams using disc brakes do not really rely on the neutral support. Because of the complexity matching rotor size, thru axles, and the host of other problems.

Disc brakes were also not a good look for manufacturers is because... When a rider was using discs and catches a flat, team mechanics rather swap out entire bike than to actually swap out tires... That says a lot about the complication of swapping out tires on discs...

On stage 21, Alaphilippe ran into a problem on the Champs. The team mechanic came to his aid with a spare rare wheel and a cordless drill... Rather than doing the wheel change, the mechanic felt it was easier/faster to do an entire bike swap...

RoadBikeReview Member
    That disc brakes are stupid and unnecessary on a road bike. There I said it. Lol. And Iím glad Froome didnít win.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    That the leaking of Froome's AAF together with all the subsequent negative publicity came back to bite the haters in the ass by forcing SKY to promote Thomas from domestique to co-leader in case Froome could not enter the TdF.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Craddock is the true success story! Broke his face and a collar bone on the first day. Still managed to raise thousands of dollars for his charity AND finished all 21 stages!! He should get a trophy for that!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    That disc brakes are stupid and unnecessary on a road bike. There I said it. Lol. And Iím glad Froome didnít win.
    Maybe qualify that to single road bike. I like them on our road tandem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That my arms are too big... especially if I want to ride for Sky.

And that maybe team budget caps are a good idea.
    Last edited by OldZaskar; 07-31-2018 at 04:03 AM.

Darling of The Lounge
    I don't miss the Borats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I learned that Christian Vande Velde can actually speak without stumbling over every other word. His commentary was much improved over past years.

And Taylor Phinney started to grow on me. I used to think he was a bit of an ass, like he was just "too cool for school". But I did find his vignettes to be quite entertaining. And it was nice to see him contest for some of the stages.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I learned that Mavic neutral support is nuts logistically, and they keep a list of what every rider is riding everyday (rim/disc, Look/SPD/Time).

Also, that Didi is still going hard:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    That's still really hard, if not harder, if not impossible to win the Giro and attempt to win the TdF same year.

Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenetsang View Post
    Craddock is the true success story! Broke his face and a collar bone on the first day. Still managed to raise thousands of dollars for his charity AND finished all 21 stages!! He should get a trophy for that!
    That some of these guys are tough SOBs, Craddock, Nibali, Sagan, Giviria, WOW,, A little tip of the hat is due!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    That some of these guys are tough SOBs, Craddock, Nibali, Sagan, Giviria, WOW,, A little tip of the hat is due!!!
    I 100% agree! meanwhile, as everyone was watching the World Cup this year... You have Neymar flopping around like a fish out of water for a supposed "tripping" call...

RoadBikeReview Member
    That Geraint Thomas is Welsh, not English, and he's named after a legendary king of Wales from back in the time when Arthur was king of England.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I learned that it's going to be the Egan Bernal era sooner rather than later

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I learned that the drama still sells, even in sports. I mean they (TV) try to inject it as much as possible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    That Geraint Thomas is Welsh, not English,
    In that case, the term "Brit" fits better I suppose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast