What a difference 3/4 of an inch makes!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Iíve been on my Litespeed for over a year now. Three to four times a week. Minimum ten miles each ride (after work), averaging fifteen to twenty miles. Iíve spent a lot of time riding this bike, and the Ridley Noah before it. The Ridley has a seat mast that had to be cut, and a seat clamp that offered little by way of adjustment.

Two days ago I went on a ride and noticed for the first time that my knees were going outward ever so slightly on the upstroke. Yesterday, before riding out, I raised the saddle by roughly 3/4 of an inch, and boy.... what a difference did it make in every aspect of the ride. It never occurred to me after this much time that my saddle was too low. Mate it wasnít even too low, per se. But I raised it anyway. And it was a fairly small change in saddle height, but the difference in ride and my performance was profound. I rode markedly faster in climbs and on level road. And, as you can imagine, my upper body was positioned better.

So, check your saddle heights, boys. I cannot believe such a small change could make such a big difference.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    3/4" is not small, that's HUGE.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    You still may be way off!
    When riding, take your foot out of the pedal, put your heel on the pedal and soft pedal, when your leg is just slightly bent at the bottom of the stroke, you are getting really close.
    BANNED

Proud luddite
    Thatís what she said.

What the what???

Living in the Midwest, Iíve learned to drop my saddle a bit in the fall before putting my bike away for the winter. After a few rides in the spring I can slowly raise it back up a bit. I wrap a bit of electrical tape around the seat post to maintain a reference point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    You still may be way off!
    When riding, take your foot out of the pedal, put your heel on the pedal and soft pedal, when your leg is just slightly bent at the bottom of the stroke, you are getting really close.
    Yep.

Meaning, put heel on the pedal straight legged, then notice when pedaling on the balls of the feet, a slight bend in the leg at the bottom of the stroke? The fit kit prescribed 75 degrees.

Congratulations, Waspinator. Very possible your seat was 3/4" too low. Seat posts frequently slip down in the seat tube over a season or two, so slowly, rider doesn't even notice. Racers check them all the time.

Just be nice to the knees working in their glorious freedom!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Yep.

Meaning, put heel on the pedal straight legged, then notice when pedaling on the balls of the feet, a slight bend in the leg at the bottom of the stroke? The fit kit prescribed 75 degrees.

Congratulations, Waspinator. Very possible your seat was 3/4" too low. Seat posts frequently slip down in the seat tube over a season or two, so slowly, rider doesn't even notice. Racers check them all the time.

This is why I keep a wrap of tape on my seat post, when I see it starting to bunch up I raise the post that little bit to smooth the tape back. The tape makes a good visual reference.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    ...she said "let me have that thing". .....
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    Let's also remember than different shoes have different sole thicknesses. I found that the optimal seatpost position is 1/4 inch different between summer and winter shoes. And believe me, I can feel 1/4 inch difference. As CX said, 3/4 inch is huge.

I have two fairly unobtrusive markings I made on my seatpost with a knife.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Yep.

I have to confess... I had no idea that happened - ie seatposts slipping down. I always tighten my clamp thoroughly. Thatís good to know.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    I have to confess... I had no idea that happened - ie seatposts slipping down. I always tighten my clamp thoroughly. Thatís good to know.
    Some carbon frames are known to be prone to seatpost slipping. Carbon paste helps stop that.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Let's also remember than different shoes have different sole thicknesses. I found that the optimal seatpost position is 1/4 inch different between summer and winter shoes. And believe me, I can feel 1/4 inch difference. As CX said, 3/4 inch is huge.

Yep. Winter garb, specifically tights and winter shoes, have me lowering my saddle just a bit come cold weather.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are over 5.2 million covid cases in the United States (as of August 12), seven months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Yep. Winter garb, specifically tights and winter shoes, have me lowering my saddle just a bit come cold weather.
    Really? I find I have to raise the saddle with winter shoes since the soles are thicker.

The extra layer of tights is insignificant.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I fine tuned my seat height, horizontal adjustment, and cleat position -- millimetres at a time -- to rid myself of a chronic left knee ITBS problem.

If I moved the seatpost 3/4 now, I'd probably end up needing a cane to walk.

xxl
    Really? I find I have to raise the saddle with winter shoes since the soles are thicker.

The extra layer of tights is insignificant.

Insignificant? Remember, we're talking a situation where a fraction of an inch is "huge."

I agree, tights aren't that much of a change, but I notice...and once I do, well....
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are over 5.2 million covid cases in the United States (as of August 12), seven months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

Banned Sock Puppet
    Insignificant? Remember, we're talking a situation where a fraction of an inch is "huge."

I agree, tights aren't that much of a change, but I notice...and once I do, well....
    Interesting. I don't notice anything with tights. Shoes, definitely.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member

Interesting. I don't notice anything with tights. Shoes, definitely.
    Are you two talking padded tights or non padded worn over padded shorts? One makes a difference, the other, not so much.
    Too old to ride plastic

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Are you two talking padded tights or non padded worn over padded shorts? One makes a difference, the other, not so much.
    I wear non-padded tights over padded shorts. I wouldn't think either would make much difference.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Lombard Fit Method for seat height is to make it even with the bars.

And I hope your seat post is carbon with your knife marks. Great advice again.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rudge66 View Post

My seatpost is alloy. No, I would not recommend doing this with a carbon seatpost. That would be almost as stupid as your posts.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid

You should find another forum to troll, really. Your crap is not even fun, it's just tiring.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    3/4" is not small, that's HUGE.
    I think it was a 3 mm change to Bernard Hinault's seat height that resulted in knee surgery for him.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    I think it was a 3 mm change to Bernard Hinault's seat height that resulted in knee surgery for him.
    3mm is about one tenth of an inch. I can definitely feel one quarter of an inch. One tenth could conceivably make a difference.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You should find another forum to troll, really. Your crap is not even fun, it's just tiring.
    The Prairie Dog Method:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard
    I have my road bikes adjusted so the bars and saddle are pretty much level with each other. ...it's an easy enough fix to flip the stem and tilt the bars up a little.
    Sorry, but he (Lombard) is not properly fit to a road bike and unable to evaluate its potential. This would be immediately apparent on a group ride... before we even leave the parking lot.
    Last edited by rudge66; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:20 PM.

Banned Sock Puppet
    The Prairie Dog Method:

Sorry, but he (Lombard) is not properly fit to a road bike and unable to evaluate its potential. This would be immediately apparent on a group ride... before we even leave the parking lot.
    You might be surprised when I pass you up that 15% grade.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast