What to do before I regret something.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Roll Out Jeremy

What to do before I regret something.

SoÖIím in a cooling off period. Riding home from work, minding my own business I had an encounter I need some help with. The road is quiet, 2 lane, designated bike route. Iím on the white line 6 inches from the curb. A woman pulls next to me in her Suburban, screams ďget the #uck off the road and ride on the sidewalk you a$$holeĒ! Then proceeds to cut me off. The next day Iím riding the same time same place and the same woman blows by me pretty darn close for comfort, cars coming the other way, you guys know the deal.
    My problem is this, I know where she lives. I ride this route all the time. I want to set fire to her Suburban (hence the cooling off period).
    Iím thinking about writing a note to her that just states my legal right to not be harassed on the road, including state laws. But will defer to this boards advice. Maybe just ignore it for awhile? I feel like Iím being harassed and endangered by a neighbor.
    I need an appropriate response.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Break out the zippo...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    you could always call the police and see what they do, i would think a officer showing up and explaining to her that what she is doing is illegal would have a much bigger impression than a note. Also a note could be seen as threatening. Kinda i know where you live so dont mess with me thing.

Notifying the police that there is a problem also establishes that it is a pattern of behaviour so if she ever does clip you you will have a basis to go after her for everything she owns.... including the damn suburban.

or you could get one of the tools to steal her valve stems....

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordy
    So?I?m in a cooling off period. Riding home from work, minding my own business I had an encounter I need some help with. The road is quiet, 2 lane, designated bike route. I?m on the white line 6 inches from the curb. A woman pulls next to me in her Suburban, screams ?get the #uck off the road and ride on the sidewalk you a$$hole?! Then proceeds to cut me off. The next day I?m riding the same time same place and the same woman blows by me pretty darn close for comfort, cars coming the other way, you guys know the deal.
    My problem is this, I know where she lives. I ride this route all the time. I want to set fire to her Suburban (hence the cooling off period).
    I?m thinking about writing a note to her that just states my legal right to not be harassed on the road, including state laws. But will defer to this boards advice. Maybe just ignore it for awhile? I feel like I?m being harassed and endangered by a neighbor.
    Cops. Her name in the paper (assault with a deadly weapon?) will cool her tail.

TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Contact police

SoÖIím in a cooling off period. Riding home from work, minding my own business I had an encounter I need some help with. The road is quiet, 2 lane, designated bike route. Iím on the white line 6 inches from the curb. A woman pulls next to me in her Suburban, screams ďget the #uck off the road and ride on the sidewalk you a$$holeĒ! Then proceeds to cut me off. The next day Iím riding the same time same place and the same woman blows by me pretty darn close for comfort, cars coming the other way, you guys know the deal.
    Iím thinking about writing a note to her that just states my legal right to not be harassed on the road, including state laws. But will defer to this boards advice. Maybe just ignore it for awhile? I feel like Iím being harassed and endangered by a neighbor.
    I would definitely contact the police since this indivivdual has commited a crime, reckless endangerment, assault with a deadly weapon, etc. Even if they do nothing, you will have documented this individual's behavour, in case there are future incidents. Hopefully the police will make contact with this individual and acheive the desired deterrent effect.

This type of life threating behavour must be dealt with before someone is injured or killed.

RoadBikeReview Member

Yep, Cops.

Inform the local authorities about her threatening behavior. Worst case, you've got some background set up. Best case, they pay her a visit and explain things politely, including what will happen if she doesn't change her ways.

Feb 2004

Two wrongs don't make a right

Stay on the correct side of the law here. I am not an attorney, but I am pretty sure arson is illegal.

The SUV driver has already broken the law--you could notify the police about what happened and who did it, or you could let her know that she is required to share the road with cyclists, and that you know who she is. Or both.

My sense is that drivers won't yell/harrass/threaten someone they know, and are even more reluctant to hassle someone who knows who they are.

jm3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by commuterguy2
    Stay on the correct side of the law here. I am not an attorney, but I am pretty sure arson is illegal.

The SUV driver has already broken the law--you could notify the police about what happened and who did it, or you could let her know that she is required to share the road with cyclists, and that you know who she is. Or both.

My sense is that drivers won't yell/harrass/threaten someone they know, and are even more reluctant to hassle someone who knows who they are.

Yes, yes, yes, file a report with local law enforcement. She has committed a crime, and they will investigate. Since you know who/where she is, they will interview her for her statement or, if you're lucky, they'll watch for her to do it again as you ride in that area. Keep in mind that you're probably not the only one she does this to, and she needs to be "cooled off."

Aug 2004

bad boys bad boys whatcha gonna do

Call the cops. It's not like she just rolled down her window and called you a lycra clad ****... She (according to you) cut you off. As others have said definite wreckless driving. Possible ADW (assualt w/ deadly weapon) and/or harrassment.

FILE A REPORT!

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    I'd definately let the police know. Take a picture of her Suburban and tag number and give it to the police. I'd also make a donation to some national/local share the road group in her name and address. That way, she'll get flooded with literature
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    I'd definately let the police know. Take a picture of her Suburban and tag number and give it to the police. I'd also make a donation to some national/local share the road group in her name and address. That way, she'll get flooded with literature

Great idea relative to the donation in her name. Maybe furnishing the group her telephone number, so they could perfect their telemarketing techniques, would even be better.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBWPI
    Great idea relative to the donation in her name. Maybe furnishing the group her telephone number, so they could perfect their telemarketing techniques, would even be better.
    Maybe a couple of "Share the Road" bumper stickers slapped on the back of her Suburban?
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member

I see a Suburban...

I see a Suburban with a "Share the Road" sticker on its bumper. ;)
    Last edited by biknben; 08-23-2004 at 12:49 PM.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    And I thought I had considered every possible use for my suppressed uzi

RoadBikeReview Member

Please update this story as it progresses... I am very curious

what the police will say when you tell them all this. I live in NYC and I can't imagine calling the police to tell them about something like this - not that I shouln't be able to, I justthink they wouldn't give me the time of day.

I vote for telling the cops. Please let me live vicariously through you if they do something. Tell us all espcically if its good - like they read her the riot act or anything.

People have to be responsible for their actions and words - and she could have easily killed you with her actions.

-Nik
    Where to find the best desserts in New York?
    www.dessertbuzz.com

Jul 2004

Notify the police, but beware the fallout

Ask the cops to advise you when they've talked to the psychotic b*tch.

If she truly is nuts, then you might want to keep a special lookout during the days following her scolding by the police.

If she makes ANY other fuss towards you thereafter, then get a restraining order (and of course file another complaint).

Couldn't hurt to have a microrecorder with you in your upcoming rides. Easier and safer (for you, steering wise) than busting out a camera, and you can at least get some audio evidence about her threatening behavior. Carry it in your pocket right next to the pepper spray (which you do have, right?)...

------------
    Perhaps you could let us know the town in which this occurs... And don't do anything to her car for now. A bumper sticker could be viewed as vandalism, and she might be a real kook. As in the murderous/crazy b*tch who ran down a sidewalk full of pedestrians at South Tahoe back in the 70's, or the crazy b*tch who ran down several cyclists in Danville, CA in the 80's (resulting in one of the cyclists losing a leg).

Glenn Close's character in Fatal Attraction does not have the monopoly on scary actions, albeit fictional. Real life is worse. Let's not forget the Houston "windshield murderer" who hit a pedestrian, then left the pedestrian (who got lodged in her windshield during impact) to die (over a 2-3 day period) while her car sat in her garage. Monster.
    Last edited by Nate Haler; 08-23-2004 at 11:34 AM.

Done
    Mar 2002

Exclamation Handle This By The Book

Call the cops, and leave it at that. No notes, no bumperstickers (as tempting as it may be), and no junk mail (could be construed as harrassment). But do call the cops -- and be even more vigilant while riding, as a visit from the cops will totally wind her up...
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Realistic expectations

I agree whole-heartedly with all of the recommendations to report this driver to the police, though I'd advise against expecting too much to come of it. One of the riders in my group was recently riding solo - at least two feet into a bike lane - when a driver swerved in and clipped his hand/bars with their mirror. My friend was bounced into the side of her car several times before getting clear of the vehicle, yet somehow managed to stay upright. (Those MTB instincts kick back in when you need them most!)

Anyway, he got the driver's tag number and statements from two witnesses, so he felt pretty confident that he had reasonable grounds to file a report with the police. Not so, apparently. Over the next few days he spoke with no fewer than four different departments of local law enforcement, but consistently got a "no blood, no foul" response. Apparently since he wasn't seriously injured and his bike didn't sustain more than $50 of damage, they didn't consider the incident serious enough to pursue. Needless to say, my buddy formed a fairly long list of appropriate responses, but opted not to pursue any of them lest he become the bad guy and risk the reputation of all riders in the area.

Still, what a crock...

hi, I'm Larry

Lawyers, Guns & Money

Try the cops first. Don't get too surprised if they don't do anything.

If you got money, hire a lawyer and see if they can get a restraining order placed on the woman. Clearly she made a threat to your well being with the verbal yelling and then subsequently trying to force you off the road with 2 Ton SUV. And then the followup close calls can be reasonably taken as threats to your wellbeing.

Or get a gun, a big one with armor piercing shells and blow a hole through her engine block at 3 AM. When she gets a new SUV, do it again.

A Friend of mine had a sniper rifle that would be great, 50 caliber rounds. Accurate to within an inch from over a mile away. Just sit up on a hill somewhere and smoke the SUV. (Buy the gun black market and just don't tell anyone)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Okay so first you follow her when she drops the kids off at school and take pictures of the little buggers. Than you cut some letters out of magazines and newspapers and make a ransom note...

Seriously, call the cops asap. If this is happening in the same area at roughly the same time, maybe they can catch her in the act. She'll get the first degree plus maybe a ticket, and she won't have any reason to suspect you of anything.

In my eyes this is a serious situation. First, she is elevating her anger toward you like a good psycho does. Second, she's driving a Suburban. I won't even expound on the female capacity to operate large SUV's, but I will say that big trucks have a tendency to turn normal people into aggressive roadhogs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd tell the cops she tried to kill you twice by running you off the road and that you want to press charges.

Oct 2002

If you go the official routeÖ

Be prepared:
    - to go to court, possibly a few times
    - for her to know YOUR address
    - to prove your assertions

FWIW, she sounds a bit high strung. This is a prefect example of how people feel powerful and anonymous in their vehicles. It will be a huge wake-up call when she figures out you know her.

Oh, and donít blame the truck Ė sheíd be an a-hole now matter what the vehicle. I know I am.

Nov 2001
    First see what the olice can do. If they cant do a thing, then If you have a friend lawyer, have them write a letter to her HUSBAND explaining the law and the consequences..

May 2002
    Place a paper bag with dog poop in front of her door. Light it and ring doorbell. Take pics of her stomping the fire out with her slippers on and post here.

Ya, what ATP said...!

It is assault

Assault is the apprehension of a battery. If a person squares off on you and cocks their fist back but doesn't hit you, that's assault. If you felt you were in danger, it is assault. Yes, the police can take a report on it (or try to talk you out of filing a report since it's paperwork). If you do fill out one, they have to go and talk to her about the incident. They canít do much more than that since they didnít witness it and she probably wont admit to almost running you off the road but it will give her a wake up call that she canít live life with perpetual PMS. If she does it again after they knock on her door, then it becomes personal for the cops. They donít like being ignored.

Whatever you do, donít confront her, donít take matters into your own hands, even if it is a peaceful discussion in the driveway with witnesses. It shows that you do know where she lives and went there with purpose, even if it was to discuss the matter. You didnít just jot her lic plate number down and give it to the police and is grounds for her to make up some BS to serve you with a restraining order. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast