Out riding.

What the hell happened? Spat out the back during a crit... Pace was only 20mph

So today I failed, got caught in no mans land, zone 4 heart rate above 160 when the pace was less than 20mph. Is something up with me or am I just having an off day? I can normally maintain that average pace and keep my heart rate at around 145 but I got popped off the back today and couldn't get any sense of active recovery going on. Working way too hard and doing nothing.

What the hell is wrong with me today?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500SLR View Post

... interesting how we tend to view ourselves as if we had static set points from which to measure and/or compare and contrast.

Like weather, our human condition is reflective of essentially infinite variables and lacking a super computer, we rely on perceived norms to cope.

But, given a finite data set, we can make some predictions (the more data and/or past data, the better) about our performance envelope. As with weather, anomalies will crop up.

...or, U could just suck.

Out riding.
    Too much data I think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Do you think it's possible that what's been going on in your life (training and otherwise) prior to the start of the crit might have something to do with it? Since you include no information, I wonder how much you've considered that.

Or maybe it's just a troll.

Out riding.
    Oh there was enough going on I didn't mention because I don't want to be trolled. I'm pretty much certain that my anxiety didn't help matters either nor did having the numbers in front of me on my computer. Where changing my cadence and my breathing technique (I ended up shallow breathing so I tried some deep breathing exercises) none of that helped either. It was also 90 degrees yesterday which didn't help.

I cracked and got dropped off the back though... When you're trying to get a feel for riders your not familiar with because the same faces don't turn up from one week to the next though it doesn't help. I thought the pace was pretty leisurely until a guy had a turn on the front, I got caught in no mans land and all of a sudden I felt overwhelmed and that I couldn't catch a wheel to save me.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Happened to me many times. I'd show up at a crit or a day at the track and feel great. Then you get gapped off for some reason and what would normally be a quick punch to get back on turns into getting dropped hard on the second lap. Hate when that happens.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Slowski
    I've been gapped pretty hard on a group ride before even though I was feeling good. Finishing my pull, I pulled off from the front and was making my way to the rear. The rider I was going to file in behind took a bit long to get up behind the person in front of him and I had to slow considerably to get back in the line. This was a mistake because his pace was slower than the rest of the group and before I knew it there was a gap which got bigger and bigger. I then spent about the next 2 miles chasing down the lead group. Point is: you can be feeling good, but being on the wrong wheel can get you gapped.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    It's the end of December. Have you been racing all year ? and do you think possibly you are burned out ?.

Even the Euro Pro's take off November & December, typically and don't race again til spring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is exactly the kind of thing doping is for!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Out riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Happened to me many times. I'd show up at a crit or a day at the track and feel great. Then you get gapped off for some reason and what would normally be a quick punch to get back on turns into getting dropped hard on the second lap. Hate when that happens.
    This is pretty much how I felt. It annoyed me quite substantially...

This is pretty much how I felt. It annoyed me quite substantially...
    It would annoy me as well. You drive to the race...you pay the entry fee...you go through the warm up and then...boom. Hate that. Sometimes the race just doesn't go the way your body and fitness want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    It's the end of December. Have you been racing all year ? and do you think possibly you are burned out ?.

Even the Euro Pro's take off November & December, typically and don't race again til spring.
    Not anymore. Most of the pro guys I know have 3-4 weeks 'off' and are racing in Jan or Feb at the latest.

RoadBikeReview Member

many things

Bad days happen, at home, at work and on the bike. Even the Pros have bad days and good days.
    don't over analyze it too much and just focus on enjoying yourself as much as possible.

did you get enough sleep in the week before the crit? How about any food changes?
    Last edited by kiwisimon; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Bag gays happen, at home, at work and on the bike. Even the Pros have bag gays and doog gays.
    Gon't over analyze it too much and just focus on enjoyind yourself as much as possible.

gig you det enoudh sleep in the week before the crit?
    Yo, bro... puff puff pass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Bag gays happen, at home, at work and on the bike. Even the Pros have bag gays and doog gays.
    Gon't over analyze it too much and just focus on enjoyind yourself as much as possible.

gig you det enoudh sleep in the week before the crit?
    Rest, sure. How about carbs/glycogen ready to burn in the legs? Could be a possible lack thereof. Or maybe not what you did the day before, but two days before?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    So today I failed, got caught in no mans land, zone 4 heart rate above 160 when the pace was less than 20mph. Is something up with me or am I just having an off day? I can normally maintain that average pace and keep my heart rate at around 145 but I got popped off the back today and couldn't get any sense of active recovery going on. Working way too hard and doing nothing.

Racing is not riding. 20 mph means nothing. You're not in shape to handle the surges and recover. That's what racing, especially crit racing is all about (and a few other things).