What high price bike did you regret buying and why?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

What high price bike did you regret buying and why?

So just to have fun at no one's expense. Ok so have you ever bought a expensive bike after maybe reading the reviews here and then thought what the heck was I thinking after 1year of ownership and regretted that purchase for just the bike? Or was it a case of the bike being really overrated and you just hated the bike.

I am only asking cause have been looking on craigslist for a used bike and have seen high price bikes where people after 1 yr are almost asking for the same price back.

Sluggo
    At the time all my bikes seemed expensive, but I haven't experienced buyer's remorse over any of the purchases. Just the opposite, I wondered why I waited so long.

But I have seen cases where guys have bought a bike then let it sit after a ride or two because "biking is hard."

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    My bike was $900 used, but never regret it. I think I hear more often that people buy an entry-level bike, then after a year wish they would have stepped up for a mid-level Ultegra-grade bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quite a few people buy an expensive bike when they're in love for the first time. The bike doesn't fit, or there's something they don't like about the ride or component package, so they get another a year later, and decide to trim down the stable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by francoaa
    ...I am only asking cause have been looking on craigslist for a used bike and have seen high price bikes where people after 1 yr are almost asking for the same price back.
    Craigslist is notorious for people asking ridiculous prices. I'm not sure why.

Team Tom's
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxattax
    At the time all my bikes seemed expensive, but I haven't experienced buyer's remorse over any of the purchases. Just the opposite, I wondered why I waited so long.

But I have seen cases where guys have bought a bike then let it sit after a ride or two because "biking is hard."
    This happens a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can also get more $ for bikes this time of year (in my area). So some people might buy low in the winter and sell high in the Spring. I did that with my first road bike after a couple years riding it and still made $100.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Nobody's stepped up and confessed yet, and I certainly don't regret any high priced bike purchase I've ever made, but there were still a couple purchases that were less than stellar.

1. My first good bike -- a Gitane Tour de France I got in 1972. Within a couple weeks, I realized I'd never be happy with the Simplex derailleur. I had to have Campy. I also got fitted with the bicycle while wearing one inch heeled boots, so the bicycle was a size too large. I got rid of it within a couple years, replacing it with an all Campy Nuovo Record Italvega, which I happily rode for the next eleven years.

2. A Rivendell Ramboulet I bought in 2004. This time, I bought a bicycle that was too large on purpose, following the dictates of Mr. Riv. Like sitting on top of an elephant or a camel. I bought into the kool-aid regarding 'weight doesn't matter' and discovered I wasn't having very much fun trying to drag the beast along. After eighteen months or so of piloting the Ram, just for kicks I took my old Somec Italian Racer for a spin. I put the Riv on ebay, soon afterward.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    A lot of yuppie types, getting into it, buy the most expensive gear, to show status and penis size. Then find out they don't really care for sweating too much, and think they can recoup their losses. Some get new bikes every year, just to have the latest and greatest. A lot of racers and shop employees get new bikes every year too.

I bought a bike off CL. It was about a 6 month old $3,600 bike. He wanted $2,900. I offered him $1,100 (all I had in the bike fund atm), and he was so desperate for the cash, he took it. Turns out, he was a college kid, who lost his student loans when Fannie Mae collapsed. Best deal I've ever gotten... certainly no regrets by me...he probably does though.

YMMV.
    Last edited by d365; 05-18-2010 at 01:06 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I would guess people ask crazy high prices because people make crazy low offers....so they try to offset that up front. That's the decent people, obviously there's a lot of sleeze bags out there too.

I've only sold one thing on CL ever (not related to cycling) and put it out there for a rock bottom price and got all sorts of crazy low offers. The item (a tent) was going for literaly 2x my asking price on Ebay so I'm not just guessing that my price was good.

The guy that eventually bought the thing was a really nice guy but there are a ton of d-bags using CL too.
    I suspect a lot of the bikes are stolen.....so that probably gives a good indication of the persons pricing philosophy.

A lot of people became unemployed last year and are probably at the point of needing to sell stuff now. Or the debt racked up to buy the bike in the first place is coming home to roost. That's probably a factor for seeing semi-new bikes out there too.

Anyway, I've never regretted a bike purchase. Generally, my regrets are going to cheap not to expensive.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Cinelli Super Corsa. I just never felt right on the bike....and it had terrible paint
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

duh...
    never rely on just reviews for big purchases... yrs ago I got a "dream bike" derosa neo pro frameset, which had fantastic road feel but did not fit great so ended up selling it. got a cannondale (saeco vintage), felt pretty meh on the test ride and returned it. have test ridden many blah-feeling high-end frames

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Oh, let's see: In the mid-seventies, as a teenager, I bought a Viscount Aerospace Sport. Broke a crankarm bolt and took 3 weeks to get another one because the threads were non-standard. Then I stripped the derailleur hanger. The bike didn't last a year.

My first custom frame, which I ordered in 1979. I won't mention the name, but he's highly respected now. I knew just enough about frame dimensions to get me closer to where I needed to be, but not all the way from my current bikes, and I had no idea the framebuilder could "fit"you. Thus, the frame never quite fit as it was about 2cm too long in the top tube and I couldn't bear the thought of using a 7cm stem. I was still dumb and wasted money having braze-ons installed and a new paint job. Rode it for about 1 more year for maybe a total of three years, then dumped it.

Then I had a friend who dabbled in framebuilding, make me a frame. Now I had the dimensions down pat; it's just he didn't have framebuilding down pat. The frame wasn't straight and you couldn't ride it no-hands, though I was reasonably successful racing-wise, on it. I got rid of that frame after a year.

My first commuter bike: I tried using a mountain bike (it was 1984). It was dog slow due to the weight and big tires. Fortunately, the bike shop took it in on consignment and I bought a sport touring bike instead.

Most recently, I took delivery of a custom mountain bike frame from a "popular" professional builder. The frame, and the partial parts order, were just a cluster%^&! of problems. After receiving a replacement frame that wasn't straight, I wound up getting a refund and paying only for the parts.

Power Napper
    My most expensive purchase, which I do now regret, was actually a mountain bike. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike. Santa Cruz Juliana, nicest parts I could afford. But i got injured a week after I bought it. By the time I could ride again it was winter. Never got back into mtn biking at the same level, and don't think I will again. Selling it now.
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

Pinarello Prince 2003?

I didn't regret it when I bought it at the factory in italy with the $/euro exchange @ 1/.90cents...and a great deal to boot. I went from a 1984 Gios Professional @ 25lbs+ to an aluminum with carbon stays bike16-lbs. My first ride- the bike almost rode itself from the italian dolomites into osterreich-it was 70 miles but felt like 10...I could have rode forever...the acceleration, responsiveness, speed- I had never experienced before...unbelievable and unforgetable...fast forward 2yrs 3mths later...cracked chainstays-both...no help/no recourse...pinarello lost my return email...1 or 2 yr warranty i forget but still seemed surprisingly short.... hello team-deal ridlley excalibur...throw away price for full carbon... great ride...who cares if i crash it in a corner purchase....pinarello who? what?...lesson learned and never ever again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Nope. I've bought one expensive bike, back in '97. A Colnago MasterXLight. I still ride it, quite often. I was out on it today.

This past year I built up a bike on a PedalForce RS frameset. I'm happy with that one too, even though it was a LOT less expensive than the Colnago.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I think a better question might be, What low end bike purchase have you regretted the most?"
    High end bikes? I have two regrets, a Klein & a Cannondale 2.8. I will never again, and I really mean never, own another aluminum bike. PERIOD.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Bought a new Cannondale CAAD2 (1994/5, I think) after only owning an '84 steel tourer. Was just too stiff and kicked my ass to much on any rides over an hour.

This space for sale
    I think sometimes people want to buy what the pros ride. When they actually get out on the bike they find out that they aren't quite as flexible as required and the ride can be a little bit harsh.
    Of course plenty of people also like to splash their cash.

Adventure Seeker
    I regret buying a Miyata 512 on Ebay about 2 years ago. I ended up paying $170 plus shipping. It was heavier than the other steel frame I already had. It's just sitting in the garage now collecting dust, lint, and spiderwebs. I need to put it on CL to see if anyone will pay something for it. It was also too small, a 54cm. Pretty paint job was the only good thing about it IMO.
    I have a single track mind

What Would Google Do.
    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    what high price bike do you regret buying and why?
    all them! Not regret as such, more felt conned after bought a $500 frame after I had a $5000 bike, and there was no measurable difference
    but I wouldnt have believed anyone who tried to tell me otherwise...the same way a few/most peopole who are reading this wont

it wasnt all bad of course, far from it!, its nice to have a top of the line bike when you can justify it riding volume 6000 miles+ a year and depth (terrain conditions) and still only costing 1/4 of a bogstandard car
    you cant say 3rd without turd.

___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

Just Plain Bitter
    2004 Giant OCR1. I bought it on a whim. I put all kinds of money into it trying to make it more comfortable to me and it never did. That bike beat the crap out of me and I never really knew how bad until I got my 586 last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I know this is off the question -- I have only bought 3 bikes in my adult years - I still have them .. A 1980ish Sekia road bike, a 2007 Serotta Legend, and a 2010 Wilier Cento 1, I would not part with either of them.. Specially the Serotta or the Wilier-- what a great ride.

My guess is the bikes you see for sale those that others need the money to buy a different bike or the life style has changed. hmmm marriage can do that... kids can do that.. loss of job... many more..

Unsafe at Any Speed
    Oct 2005
    My first 'serious' bike was also the most expensive ever, relatively speaking related to income and value of money at the time.

For a college kid, the Peugeot Super Competition 531 frame cost a lot. The rest was not cheap either : Gipiemme crankset (bearings packed up after 6 months), Gipiemme pedals (spindle broke soon, nearly causing a bad crash) gold Regina chain (wore out in no time at all), expensive headset (ditto), Modolo brakes, the list goes on. All expensive and all wore out fast or was disappointing and replaced by more big buck parts. And fit was never great in spite of replacement bars and stems.

It was an expensive lesson in how not to build your own bike. And it showed me the some frustrations of using tubular tyres. Yes, I went through several of these rims plus two sets of clincher rims too. At least I learnt a little bit about building wheels.

When the bike was stolen 6 years later (1989) just about everything had been replaced already - even 2 forks - save the frame which had a fresh paintjob after the original paint had not held up at all great. It was a substantial financial loss considering the cash which had flowed into that clunker, but I did not dwell on the misfortune for one minute. I bought a one year old Cannondale R500, it was also expensive but well worth it - still in use today, actually still running the same hubs and crankset, and the Stronglight roller headset which I had fitted early on.

I ride in circles..
    I don't regret any of my cycling purchases. I've had those sick to the stomach am I really spending this much moments but once the cash flows I feel fine and happy with my new toy.

When I bought my Garmin 705 I was a mess.. I couldn't believe I spent that much on a cycling computer.. Then it arrived in the mail and I fell into geek love with it.

Pretty much any time I spent over a few hundred on anything I get like that.. Until I get it home and I feel fine.

If I were to go out and blow $5000 on a Cervelo or something similar and get it home to find it not perfect... yeah I'd be extremely bummed..
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast