• 09-04-2015
    junior1210
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    The correct answer is Jeannie (Ginger was a bimbo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfGgiETAg1I

Indeed
    Quote:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ibericb again.
  • 09-04-2015
    JCavilia
    Outside this little world of cyclists talking to one another, I think by far the most polarizing cycling-related topic is whether *sshole drivers or *sshole cyclists are the major cause of bad traffic interactions. Just read the online comments following any story of a cycling traffic incident. Talk about polarized.
  • 09-04-2015
    cxwrench
    Posting in the wrong section on RBR.
  • 09-04-2015
    ibericb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Posting in the wrong section on RBR.

And here I foolishly thought it would the improper adoption of the word "brifter".
  • 09-04-2015
    SwiftSolo
    Don't even think about using the word "brifter" in the wrong section of RBR. It is the ultimate Faux Pas. Picking your nose while reciting your wedding vows is a distant second.
    Quote:

And here I foolishly thought it would the improper adoption of the word "brifter".

• 09-04-2015
    Jackhammer
    Quote:

The correct answer is Jeannie (Ginger was a bimbo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfGgiETAg1I

Ok, her too!

Negative when you get to Rosie O'Donnell but I don't think she's interested anyway.
  • 09-04-2015
    ibericb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Don't even think about using the word "brifter" in the wrong section of RBR. It is the ultimate Faux Pas. Picking your nose while reciting your wedding vows is a distant second.

Is there a right section of RBR where the word "brifter" is appropriate and acceptable?
  • 09-04-2015
    stevesbike
    Quote:

Is there a right section of RBR where the word "brifter" is appropriate and acceptable?

The lounge - I don't think the people who post there come out of their parent's basement long enough to ride, so wouldn't even know what it means. Wait...was that polarizing?
  • 09-04-2015
    PBL450
    Quote:

SRAM folk don't brifter.
  • 09-04-2015
    cxwrench
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesbike View Post
    The lounge - I don't think the people who post there come out of their parent's basement long enough to ride, so wouldn't even know what it means. Wait...was that polarizing?

You got 'em w/ the polarizer.
  • 09-05-2015
    ibericb
    Quote:

Wait...was that polarizing?

Only to those in the Lounge.
  • 09-05-2015
    dracula
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pittcanna View Post
    If you had to pick the single most polarizing topic in cycling to date what is it?

I think over viewing the forum here and other places, it has got to be the topic of strava.

Boutique low spoke count factory vs. hand built wheels.

Which is also indirectly related to 'weight vs aerodynamic'.
  • 09-05-2015
    SwiftSolo
    Well, "elecdrolic brifters" belong in the "politics" forum--"rim brake manual brifters" in "doping".
    Quote:

• 09-05-2015
    ibericb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Well, "elecdrolic brifters" belong in the "politics" forum--"rim brake manual brifters" in "doping".

This will probably get cx's shorts in bunch - Harris Cyclery has now adopted "brifter" and is selling them -- "The return of 7 speed "Brifters" !.
  • 09-05-2015
    mpre53
    Quote:

Ahem. That would be the Lownje. Moreon. :D
  • 09-05-2015
    JCavilia
    Quote:

This will probably get cx's shorts in bunch - Harris Cyclery has now adopted "brifter" and is selling them -- "The return of 7 speed "Brifters" !.

This is not a new development. Sheldon Brown used the term unapologetically, and may have coined it himself -- I know his site is the first place I saw it, a loooooong time ago.

Personally, I think it's a perfectly fine word. But out of deference to curmudgeonly sensibilities I don't use it here.
  • 09-05-2015
    ibericb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    This is not a new development. Sheldon Brown used the term unapologetically, and may have coined it himself -- I know his site is the first place I saw it, a loooooong time ago.

The term dates back to pre-2002. The late Sheldon Brown credited Philly area cyclist Bruce French with the origin of the term. French died in 2005 from injuries received in auto accident that occurred while he was driving to a bike ride.

I share your sentiment - if it was good enough for Sheldon Brown, it's more than good enough for me. But I too avoid it's use here in the interest of community peace.
  • 09-05-2015
    cxwrench
    Quote:

The term dates back to pre-2002. The late Sheldon Brown credited Philly area cyclist Bruce French with the origin of the term. French died in 2005 from injuries received in auto accident that occurred while he was driving to a bike ride.

I share your sentiment - if it was good enough for Sheldon Brown, it's more than good enough for me. But I too avoid it's use here in the interest of community peace.

It is the most complete and total 'fred' term there is in cycling. No self respecting mechanic or other industry employee would ever use the word.
  • 09-05-2015
    Jay Strongbow
    Quote:

It is the most complete and total 'fred' term there is in cycling. No self respecting mechanic or other industry employee would ever use the word.

And no self respecing cyclist would give a flying fck or look to mechanics or industry employees for approval on what terms they use.
  • 09-05-2015
    wgscott
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Sheldon Brown used the term unapologetically

Look how that wound up for him.

Quote:

Sheldon Brown credited Philly area cyclist Bruce French with the origin of the term. French died in 2005...

Note the disturbing pattern.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    And no self respecing cyclist would give a flying fck or look to mechanics or industry employees for approval on what terms they use.

It could potentially be helpful if you want to get something repaired or replaced.
  • 09-05-2015
    Jay Strongbow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    Look how that wound up for him.

Note the disturbing pattern.

It could potentially be helpful if you want to get something repaired or replaced.

0 for 3.
  • 09-05-2015
    Oxtox
    Quote:

if I'm referring to the unit in relation to shifting, I call it a shift lever.

if the issue is braking, I call it a brake lever.

I've never heard a cyclist or a mech call it a brifter.
  • 09-05-2015
    tvad
    The latest posts clinch "brifter" as the answer to the original question.

Well done all.
  • 09-05-2015
    ibericb
    Quote:

No self respecting mechanic or other industry employee would ever use the word.

So, by your assessment then neither the late Sheldon Brown, nor the good folks currently at Harris Cyclery, were self respecting.
  • 09-05-2015
    Trek_5200
    It used to be choice of group-set manufacturer. These days I'd say disc brake vs caliper.