Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
Those cassettes really sucked. The audio quality wasn't as good as vinyl. The tape was so thin it would stretch, crumple, or break in the transport, or slip on the rubber rollers as they got gunked up with iron oxide magnetic particles that held the audio signal, and it would deteriorate over time.

MPEG2 lifted the signal out of the analog realm; no needle scratches, no background noise, no loss of high end after hundreds of playings. MPEG samples the analog audio signal at microsecond intervals. Some loss of detail is evident, despite the denials of the engineers. On a loud bass reflex speaker, I can hear the slight loss of harmonic overtones. The high frequencies are there, but it sounds a little more "canned" than the analogue version. In the early '60s, we'd turn up the volume on the stereo and had the best seat in the concert hall. Haven't had that experience listening to digital. It never seems to equal the "presence" or "depth" of analog.
It does seem that no matter what the current source, nothing seems to be at the quality of good old FM radio through my early 1980's vintage stereo system. Not CD, MP3, Sirius XM, or internet streaming. CD's technically are in a lossless WAV file format. But hey, we like to store lots of digital music in smaller spaces. So along came the "lossy" formats of MP3's.

I still think FM radio sound is king. No snap, crackle, pop of an LP, no hiss of a tape or tinny canned high frequencies of a CD and other digital formats. And personally, I can't tell much difference between a lossless WAV (CD) file and a lossy MP3 file. But that's just me.