What Music Do You Listen To In Spin Class ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

What Music Do You Listen To In Spin Class ?

Peloton Is Being Sued by Music Publishers for $150 Million

I think this is pretty funny, but I don't expect that it will stop with just Peleton. Probably every spin studio in the world blasts some sort of copyright music during their sessions.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...204212506.html
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post

I think this is pretty funny, but I don't expect that it will stop with just Peleton. Probably every spin studio in the world blasts some sort of copyright music during their sessions.

almost certainly they do. Question is if they pay for using the music or not.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Oh the sweet irony of Peloton that sought to trademark the term "Peloton" getting pimp slapped by copyright lawyers.

https://road.cc/content/news/253747-...g-word-peloton

Russian Troll Farmer
    That's why restaurants, bars, companies that prove 'on hold' music, etc. all have to have an ASCAP license. Anybody using music as a part of their business is required to pay royalties. Nothing new there......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    circa, 547,000 years ago.

Guy one on a log: Boop Boop Bop.

Guy two on a log: Boop Boop Bop.

Guy three: The first lawyer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    No music I socialize. Take that carbon dioxide!!!

a real member's member
    can't help but spin and twirl in my man skirt when i hear the dead playing.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Oh no, if Peloton loses and goes under how will rich people in the Hampton's get their workouts?

RoadBikeReview Member

Here ya go: Interval training!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSPUYqpPlhY

Best cut: 28:15 - 46:07.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 03-19-2019 at 09:03 PM.

[REDACTED]

Sure. But they don't care about the small fish. The big fish have $$$, so the music publishers will go after them.

Only Specialized picks on the small fish when it comes to protecting copyrights.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Oh no, if Peloton loses and goes under how will rich people in the Hampton's get their workouts?
    a twitter series trolling them.

Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    a twitter series trolling them.

This was posted a couple of weeks ago. Funny stuff. Peloton gets an A at pretentiousness

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    That's why restaurants, bars, companies that prove 'on hold' music, etc. all have to have an ASCAP license.
    I just learned this from the bartender at a local distillery and was really surprised. I figured it would all be like the radio, just turn it on and listen. She also said that she could have the Super Bowl on as long as she didn't advertise that fact.

As for the music I listen to in spin class? Just the sweet sounds of gasps and groans from the wannabes who think they can keep pace with me!

JK, I haven't been to a spin class in over a decade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    As for the music I listen to in spin class? Just the sweet sounds of gasps and groans from the wannabes who think they can keep pace with me!

JK, I haven't been to a spin class in over a decade.
    I was about to line the sheets with rose petals pop a bottle of bubbly and serve choco covered strawberries...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Yakety Sax would be super realistic for spin classes given how our local group rides proceed in a disorganized gaggle down the road.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I just learned this from the bartender at a local distillery and was really surprised. I figured it would all be like the radio, just turn it on and listen. She also said that she could have the Super Bowl on as long as she didn't advertise that fact.
    This sounds a bit far out. From what I understand, it's OK to play radio since you are not selecting specific songs from a playlist.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This sounds a bit far out. From what I understand, it's OK to play radio since you are not selecting specific songs from a playlist.
    I heard that too. Something about not using the music as an integral part of the presentation. It's just background music, like the gasps and groans.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sure. But they don't care about the small fish. The big fish have $$$, so the music publishers will go after them.

Only Specialized picks on the small fish when it comes to protecting copyrights.
    It’s like I can’t rep anybody any more! Haha! Well said!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    I heard that too. Something about not using the music as an integral part of the presentation. It's just background music, like the gasps and groans.
    I think the key point with the music publishers is not being able to play a specific song on demand. There is plenty of free radio both over the air and on the internet, but you are at the mercy of their playlists. Although on platforms like I Heart Radio and Pandora, you are allowed to skip a certain number of songs per hour.

In the old days where the only radio was terrestrial, record companies would give radio stations the singles to play which they wanted to promote. The record companies were in total control and they liked this.

Today with internet and satellite (Sirius XM) radio, these players must pay royalties to the music publishers for the privilege of being able to make up their own speialized genre playlists.

If you remember back in the late 1990's and early 2000's, there were many internet radio startups including a few where you could be very specific about songs you wanted to play. Not exactly able to play a song on demand, but you had great control over what you heard. On one, Launchcast, you could "x" a song and it would never be played again and give songs ratings which would determine their frequency of playing. These services had to pay royalties which were paid for by advertisers. But then music publishers decided they didn't like the lack of control they had, so they spiked their royalty fees until these services couldn't afford it and had to fold.
    Last edited by Lombard; 03-20-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Proud luddite
    The good news is that pretty soon you won't have to pay to play the songs of Michael Jackson and R Kelly. That music could become the hallmark of spin studios.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think the key point with the music publishers is not being able to play a specific song on demand. There is plenty of free radio both over the air and on the internet, but you are at the mercy of their playlists. Although on platforms like I Heart Radio and Pandora, you are allowed to skip a certain number of songs per hour.

In the old days where the only radio was terrestrial, record companies would give radio stations the singles to play which they wanted to promote. The record companies were in total control and they liked this.

Today with internet and satellite (Sirius XM) radio, these players must pay royalties to the music publishers for the privilege of being able to make up their own speialized genre playlists.

If you remember back in the late 1990's and early 2000's, there were many internet radio startups including a few where you could be very specific about songs you wanted to play. Not exactly able to play a song on demand, but you had great control over what you heard. On one, Launchcast, you could "x" a song and it would never be played again and give songs ratings which would determine their frequency of playing. These services had to pay royalties which were paid for by advertisers. But then music publishers decided they didn't like the lack of control they had, so they spiked their royalty fees until these services couldn't afford it and had to fold.
    Interesting history I pretty much missed. I was still recording tape cassettes off of vinyl or worse, off the radio. . I can find any music I want off the internet for free. Youtube has 5 or 6 options under "Pipes of Pan at Joujouka," including several documentaries on the genre. I'm amazed.

Hear tell lots of listeners have their playlists on internet providers. No idea how money is transferred. My tastes, ethnic, folk, classical, are a small portion of the market. I've had fun giving discs as presents, but never amassed a library. My older bro likes Italian opera, and has 100s of disc recordings not published anymore, kind of like books. I've found the greatest classical music mastered on tape in the '50s and '60s keeps being remastered for the latest medium and is still available.

Internet is a quantum leap forward accessing archives of the world's music, photography, motion pictures. Its instantly accessible memory, its ability to think, surpasses the Library of Congress and La Bibliotheque Nationale. This explosion of knowledge presents opportunities in human affairs few could have imagined 75 years ago.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Interesting history I pretty much missed. I was still recording tape cassettes off of vinyl or worse, off the radio. . I can find any music I want off the internet for free. Youtube has 5 or 6 options under "Pipes of Pan at Joujouka," including several documentaries on the genre. I'm amazed.

Hear tell lots of listeners have their playlists on internet providers. No idea how money is transferred. My tastes, ethnic, folk, classical, are a small portion of the market. I've had fun giving discs as presents, but never amassed a library. My older bro likes Italian opera, and has 100s of disc recordings not published anymore, kind of like books. I've found the greatest classical music mastered on tape in the '50s and '60s keeps being remastered for the latest medium and is still available.

Internet is a quantum leap forward accessing archives of the world's music, photography, motion pictures. Its instantly accessible memory, its ability to think, surpasses the Library of Congress and La Bibliotheque Nationale. This explosion of knowledge presents opportunities in human affairs few could have imagined 75 years ago.
    Well when people used to make copies of LP's or the radio onto cassette tape, that was technically illegal, but since these copies were analog and never a 100% perfect copy, music publishers didn't really care as there was never a mass market for "bootlegs" of recordings. Unless you made hundreds of copies and sold them, nobody cared.

When digital music came along (CD's and the internet), a 100% perfect copy was possible. This scared the [email protected] out of the music industry. Finally, a song was nothing more than a stream of 0's and 1's. Do you happen to remember the digital music sharing site, Napster?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napster

Sure, you can still find just about any song or music video on You Tube and play it there, but you can't copy it and play it in your car.

But hey, MP3's are so cheap at $1 per song, there really isn't a great incentive to try and get it for free. Heck, 45rpm singles were almost $1 back in the 1970's and early 1980's. What would that be in inflation adjusted dollars?

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    The good news is that pretty soon you won't have to pay to play the songs of Michael Jackson...
    don't hate. sharing my bed is the way i show love.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well when people used to make copies of LP's or the radio onto cassette tape, that was technically illegal, but since these copies were analog and never a 100% perfect copy, music publishers didn't really care as there was never a mass market for "bootlegs" of recordings. Unless you made hundreds of copies and sold them, nobody cared.

When digital music came along (CD's and the internet), a 100% perfect copy was possible. This scared the [email protected] out of the music industry. Finally, a song was nothing more than a stream of 0's and 1's. Do you happen to remember the digital music sharing site, Napster?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napster

Sure, you can still find just about any song or music video on You Tube and play it there, but you can't copy it and play it in your car.

But hey, MP3's are so cheap at $1 per song, there really isn't a great incentive to try and get it for free. Heck, 45rpm singles were almost $1 back in the 1970's and early 1980's. What would that be in inflation adjusted dollars?
    Didn't know you can't copy any of those Youtube selections. It figures.

When driving the car, I like to listen to talk radio or the local NPR affiliate, or scroll through the local stations. Lots of that local flavor is missing now, but the radio still connects to the environment. Playing my own selections was never an option, but I wouldn't miss it.

Those cassettes really sucked. The audio quality wasn't as good as vinyl. The tape was so thin it would stretch, crumple, or break in the transport, or slip on the rubber rollers as they got gunked up with iron oxide magnetic particles that held the audio signal, and it would deteriorate over time.

MPEG2 lifted the signal out of the analog realm; no needle scratches, no background noise, no loss of high end after hundreds of playings. MPEG samples the analog audio signal at microsecond intervals. Some loss of detail is evident, despite the denials of the engineers. On a loud bass reflex speaker, I can hear the slight loss of harmonic overtones. The high frequencies are there, but it sounds a little more "canned" than the analogue version. In the early '60s, we'd turn up the volume on the stereo and had the best seat in the concert hall. Haven't had that experience listening to digital. It never seems to equal the "presence" or "depth" of analog. That may be as much electronic instrumentation and processing, no longer strictly acoustical instruments playing to a small audience without electronic amplification.

Wouldn't it be great to invite a local band to play acoustical guitars, harmonica, drums, cymbals, flutes, violins, cellos, live voices, right there in the room, playing in tandem with the spin class?

Some Archive recordings in the '50s of the Bach Brandenburg concertos were recorded with two mics hanging from the ceiling. On vinyl it sounded just like it probably did to the audiences back in the 18th century. Those same recordings are still available on CD.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 03-21-2019 at 10:57 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    maybe we should just return to the Statute of Ann of 1709, copyright music for copying purposes only, for 14 years, then it is all public domain. playing, performing also public domain from day one. This idea of musicians becoming billionaires is a fairly recent thing in the last 50 years. Now at least in the Spotify era, musicians are motivated to go on tour to make their cash instead of relying on radio and record sales.

But also there is so much music out there and producing music on a laptop is fantastically easier than it as just 15 years ago, there is no need for Peleton to use expensive copyrighted music. Just use music from music makers with more reasonable prices (or free). I have kind weird tastes and only listen to new music from some obscure genres of musicians - they make a little bit on my Spotify streams and I am not shovelling money into fat rich old dried up stars from the 70s, nor corps who hoard these copyrights and chase around kids for downloading songs.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 03-21-2019 at 11:28 PM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast