What road bike to buy ? And on budget :) - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 57 of 57
  1. #51
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    Again, what we have here are people who seem to have forgotten how much time, money and energy it took to learn to be bike mechanics, advising someone who wants to Ride A Bike to instead buy a bike which needs repair and Learn to Repair Bicycles.
    i offered advice to buy a $300 bike that works and the tools to keep it that way. the bikes i sell for $400 are fully refurbished, like new, and will need nothing for a few years except tires and basic maintenance.

    i think learning to repair bicycles is great ... but it's not what the Original poster wants to do right now.
    see above. or read my first post.


    but who cares ... after all, we are just here to support our own limited views, right? We aren't here to help people who want to start enjoying this wonderful activity, cycling, which has grown to be such a big part of all of our lives.
    speak for yourself. i offer advice i would've liked as a new cyclist

    You acknowledge that learning to be a bike mechanic is a journey, a challenge a test of the will and spirit … And for You, it was ultimately a worthwhile journey, but you know there were obstacles... there are Always obstacles... It will be frustrating but also very satisfying, based on my experience.
    depends on the bike. just because a bike is used doesn't mean it needs a lot of work.

    However … that is NOT what the OP wants.
    no one knows that. he's on a budget. i offered my advice to get into cycling. advice that will be rewarding.

    The OP wants to buy a bike he can ride Right Now. A bike which already works, a bike which a shop will fix if it needs fixing. If the OP later wants to delve into bike mechanics … Great! But that is NOT what the OP said he wants. We Could stop trying to force people to follow in our footsteps and instead actually listen to what other people are asking … that is an option we do have.
    read my first post and buy a bike that works and learn to maintain it.

    or stay a slave to a bike shop. which do you think the guy on the budget wants?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  2. #52
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Getting all the knowledge and tools up front just to be able to ride would have been dumb, unless of course I was more interested in bike mechanics than riding.
    depends. if he found a great bike that needed a lot of work, it may be the most rewarding thing he's ever done.

    or maybe he could find a great bike for $300 that works and systematically acquire the tools to keep it that way.

    .

    regardless, he's going to have to learn basic maintenance that is just as difficult as overhauling a bike. one takes $100 in tools, one doesn't. that's the biggest difference.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  3. #53
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    and i can see thousands of other guys asking an internet forum for free suggestions and getting helpful answers in return telling him to go to his local co-op, shopping ebay, shopping for a new one online (like a nitto), and even getting some offers from forum members.
    Right, because that is what the OP asked for … a BIKE HE COULD NOT RIDE.

    The OP wants to Ride a Bike. He did not come here asking for advice about fixing an old bike. He said he wants to Buy a Bike to Ride, not go on EBay and spend a week looking every night for parts for an old bike, parts maybe he doesn’t understand and cannot identify, so how would he even know what to look for?

    Oh, right. He could come back here where he tried to get a working bike and got dragooned into buying the bike Some Other Guy wanted. So now he can’t ride … but he can get more bad advice from people who haven’t listened to him so far.

    I have an ’84 Raleigh and an ’83 Cannondale. I have been through the parts runaround. I knew what to buy, and I still had to wait a week for most stuff to show up—at least I didn’t have to send it back and try again. This poor guy would be buying a bike which he didn’t understand and couldn‘t fix and couldn’t ride.

    Yeah … Awesome investment advice. Exactly what he was looking for.

    As far as bike shops in his area … who knows if he even has one? And if he does have a bike shop nearby … why would it stock 27-inch wheels, considering that those haven’t been on bikes in 30 years? Shops stock what sells.

    So … the shop could order a wheel or a tire for him … and he could wait even more to finally Ride His Bike.

    Same with quill stems and headsets. A shop could order them, and charge him a considerable markup … or he could go online and shop for stuff which might or might not be right because he doesn’t know.

    And what about freewheels versus freehubs? He won’t know if his bike has one or the other because he doesn’t know they even exist. He could buy a wheel which didn’t fit because he wouldn’t know any better … until it showed up and the 130-mm axle didn’t fit in his 126-mm dropouts.

    Or … people here could do what he asked and send him to get a decent $600 bike which he can ride for a few years to see if he really likes cycling.

    Imagine that—actually Helping the OP instead of selfishly repeating personal preferences.

    Maybe no one told you, Blackfrancois … but this thread is about Helping the OP get What the OP Wants, not hearing your personal preferences, which are exactly what the OP doesn’t want.

    You know … you can start your own thread about the joys and wonders of buying old bikes.

    How about you be a decent human being and not hijack this guy’s thread?

  4. #54
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    Right, because that is what the OP asked for … a BIKE HE COULD NOT RIDE.
    you quoted me responding to the need for a shorter stem, not the op. nice try, though.

    The OP wants to Ride a Bike. He did not come here asking for advice about fixing an old bike.
    they could be the same thing. he's on a budget, and i offered advice that would get him on the road. a $300 vintage bike will often do that if you follow free advice from knowledgeable people like myself.

    i didn't read the rest of your strawman argument.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  5. #55
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    How about you be a decent human being and not hijack this guy’s thread?
    Hijacking this guys thread?

    The OP didn't do anything but light a match and throw it in a barn, and ain't been back since. That was over a month ago, so it's probably safe to quit worrying about what is best for the OP.
    Too old to ride plastic

  6. #56
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,134
    Quote Originally Posted by mml373 View Post
    Lots has been said here. My take from a guy who wasted all kinds of money on bikes back in tha day...and I'll state up front I don't know if you're just starting out or what.

    But if you are just starting out, you are likely best served to buy a vintage steel road racing bike (I assume this is your sport, not mountain biking) for about $200 on ebay and starting from there. Find every long group ride you can, talk to others about a good training program, and do the work. Do intervals after you've built up a couple months of good training base mileage each week.

    If you make it past six months, have a good set of wheels built. Light, well-built wheels will make a big difference. Keep riding.

    A year or two in, then you'll know if you want to spend more money on a new bike. eBay has plenty of great, vintage road bikes that'll get your started for the low price of $200 or so. How do I know? I ride a 32 year old Specialized Allez as my daily ride after trying the latest and greatest bikes. For entry-level races, the old tech will suit just fine.

    Bottom line: you'll do better with a less expensive bike that fits, with good wheels and tires, than going into debt for something newer.
    I have mixed feelings about this advice. First, there's a lot of $4000 road bikes gathering dust in garages or basements of people who bought them and realized biking wasn't their thing. BUT .... second, will a 32 year old used steel bike really light the fire under you and motivate you to ride? Before you venture into racing, you need to get some experience riding. Third, assuming the OP doesn't know a lot about what fits him, what are the chances that 32 year old gem from ebay is going to fit?

    My advice would be to go to a LBS and buy something lower to middle of the road. Unlike department stores and Wal Mart, real bike shops don't have $250 road bikes that fall apart after a year. And they can help you get something that fits. If the salesman tries pushing something on you, go someplace else. If you're still riding it 18 months later, then you will undoubtedly be dreaming about a new high end road bike. You don't know what that is now, but you will then.

  7. #57
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    46
    Save one and buy used

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. A Retro/Modern SS Conversion Budget/Blown Budget Build
    By Opus51569 in forum Fixed/Single Speed
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-27-2013, 05:18 PM
  2. help a novice buy a bike, ~$350 or so budget tops, for bike paths/etc.
    By Kremlar in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 12:44 PM
  3. Replies: 121
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 09:20 AM
  4. making a tri bike out of my road bike on a budget
    By Neibe in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-03-2007, 02:55 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2006, 10:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.