What road bike to buy ? And on budget :)
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1

    What road bike to buy ? And on budget :)

    I'm trying to buy a new road bike, this is my first time to buy a bike and i dont know what to buy. Any suggestion ?? My budget is only $300 - $600

    Sent from my CPH1727 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,708
    Most manufacturers have bikes at the top end of your budget. Head to your local LBS and test ride.

    I've always advised customers that 1/3 of the budget should be for accessories. My suggestion is to save a little longer so you have the funds to purchase the add ons - spare tube, seat bag, inflation kit (pump or CO2), cyclometer, helmet, clothes, etc.
    You can't fix stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

    I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Akirasho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,870
    Quote Originally Posted by juliusciptajaya2000 View Post
    I'm trying to buy a new road bike, this is my first time to buy a bike and i dont know what to buy. Any suggestion ?? My budget is only $300 - $600
    Question. Is there a reason you want a road bike? Do you have cycling goals and/or expectations?

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,651
    When you say this is your first time buying a bike, are you saying you're new to biking? What is your riding history? Do you ride in a bike share or are you new to riding?

    $300-600 won't get you more than a used bike or a knock-off brand. Even a new steel entry level road bike from a reputable brand will run you $700:

    https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/questsport.html

    Good solid bike, but heavy as road bikes go. More money will get you better componentry and less weight. Also, as ferdfandc said, you will need to budget in necessary accessories like a helmet, clothes, spare tubes, seat bag, inflation kit (pump or CO2), cyclometer, etc.

    If you have a good bike shop near you, head on over there and test ride some bikes.


    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,575
    Do you have friends? Maybe someone is looking to upgrade and you can get a deal. $300-$600 is not a very friendly budget. You'll be getting something quite basic

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mtrac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,415
    I got my first bike at the link below, for $500, a while ago. It has about 10K miles and I'm still happy with it and looking forward to spring. At this point I've replaced almost everything. Be aware that if you buy on line you're mostly on your own regarding support. Budget for a helmet, pump, spare tubes, and at least enough tools to change a tire.

    I wouldn't buy anything used unless you know the seller.

    https://bikeisland.com/index.cgi

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,651
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    I got my first bike at the link below, for $500, a while ago. It has about 10K miles and I'm still happy with it and looking forward to spring. At this point I've replaced almost everything. Be aware that if you buy on line you're mostly on your own regarding support. Budget for a helmet, pump, spare tubes, and at least enough tools to change a tire.

    I wouldn't buy anything used unless you know the seller.

    https://bikeisland.com/index.cgi
    Looks like most of the products on this site are either no-name brands or new/old stock. If my budget were severely limited and I wanted a bike, I would go for new/old stock on a known brand before I would trust a no-name brand.

    If you have replaced almost everything in 10K miles, you have probably spent at least $1,000 in new parts. Unless you enjoy replacing parts, you may as well have bought a $1,500 bike.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    20,925
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    It has about 10K miles and I'm still happy with it and looking forward to spring. At this point I've replaced almost everything.
    In 10K miles on my bikes, I would have replaced only tires and a chain. Not sure you saved any money compared to a higher line bike that would have required only maintenance replacements.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    25,939
    Quote Originally Posted by juliusciptajaya2000 View Post
    I'm trying to buy a new road bike, this is my first time to buy a bike and i dont know what to buy. Any suggestion ?? My budget is only $300 - $600

    Sent from my CPH1727 using Tapatalk
    Best bet would be a used bike, IMO. For $300.-600. you could get an aluminum frame with Shimano Ultegra or "105" shifters and rear derailleurs, and B or C level components, A being top of the line. It'll weigh 17-22#, a nice weight for climbing and a responsive ride.

    Correct size is essential. Determine from the online programs, and don't get the wrong size. Plenty of nice $1200. road bikes out there in NOS condition, people bought but never rode, wrong size, not enough time, too hard. Private sellers would gladly take $500., although they may ask for more.

    Factor in $300. for helmet, shorts, jersey, spare tube, tire levers, water bottles. Of course you don't have to get all that stuff right away. A $40 helmet will get you legal in most jurisdictions.

    I wore out at least 2 pairs of denim jeans and two pairs of khaki shorts before finally springing for padded lycra. Got strong and fit wearing t-shirts and tennis shoes before going to sweat wicking jerseys and nice stiff cleated shoes. Gloves are entirely optional.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Looks like most of the products on this site are either no-name brands or new/old stock. If my budget were severely limited and I wanted a bike, I would go for new/old stock on a known brand before I would trust a no-name brand.

    If you have replaced almost everything in 10K miles, you have probably spent at least $1,000 in new parts. Unless you enjoy replacing parts, you may as well have bought a $1,500 bike.
    Sometimes it's easier to spend over a period of time than all in one go. It's why I recommend sometimes for someone to buy the cheapest bike with the best frame they can get, then replace the components over time as parts wear out. Although these days, even the low end drive trains perform like the top end ones from a few years ago

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    20,925
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Sometimes it's easier to spend over a period of time than all in one go. It's why I recommend sometimes for someone to buy the cheapest bike with the best frame they can get, then replace the components over time as parts wear out. Although these days, even the low end drive trains perform like the top end ones from a few years ago
    Easier? Well it certainly is a false economy because buying the parts is WAY more expensive than buying them as part of a bike. Especially since in this buyer's price range he really should get a used bike. And at the quoted price range a new bike will have very low-end parts.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    25,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Easier? Well it certainly is a false economy because buying the parts is WAY more expensive than buying them as part of a bike. Especially since in this buyer's price range he really should get a used bike. And at the quoted price range a new bike will have very low-end parts.
    And a low end frame to match.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,267
    I did not say buy new, I said best frame they can get for their budget, which includes used. And while yes, new parts individually cost more over time, if you only have $X dollars to spend, you only have $X to spend. Spending $500 now, and then $50 here, and $100 there over time is feasible. Spending 600 now is not if you only have 500.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    25,939
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    I did not say buy new, I said best frame they can get for their budget, which includes used. And while yes, new parts individually cost more over time, if you only have $X dollars to spend, you only have $X to spend. Spending $500 now, and then $50 here, and $100 there over time is feasible. Spending 600 now is not if you only have 500.
    Well, sure, the used bike will not only be a better frame, but will also have better components, unless previous owner stripped them off and put cheaper stuff on to sell the bike.

    Chances are good, the way mid-level road bikes go, the used bike won't have all that many miles on it to require replacing components. Put on a new chain if the bike has over 2000 miles on it, maybe new cassette gears if over 6000 miles. Check the tires. If everything works, upgrades could be put off for another 10,000 miles. How long would that take?

    A high quality frame will have high quality components, except for wheels. Nobody notices the wheels, distracted by the 105 or Ultegra shifters and derailleurs, but cheaping out on the wheels is the first thing manufacturers do to lower the price. A nice set of wheels would be worth the investment. They could be transferred to the next build when the itch gets strong, and take care of the second most important component determining the ride quality of the bike, the frame being the first.

    Also, a $2000. bike with Ultegra might be the exact same frame as its budget oriented brother with 105 or Tiagra components, priced at $1500.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    22
    Save your money.the more you spend the longer it last. Don’t rush to buy!

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    22
    Last years Trek 01 road bike was $600.00bucks now it’s 900.00! I’m sure the parts are better but spend more 𝐆𝐞𝐭 more!

Similar Threads

  1. A Retro/Modern SS Conversion Budget/Blown Budget Build
    By Opus51569 in forum Fixed/Single Speed
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-27-2013, 05:18 PM
  2. help a novice buy a bike, ~$350 or so budget tops, for bike paths/etc.
    By Kremlar in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 12:44 PM
  3. Replies: 121
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 09:20 AM
  4. making a tri bike out of my road bike on a budget
    By Neibe in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-03-2007, 02:55 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2006, 10:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.