What should I do? LBS messed up my Bianchi.

Jul 2004

What should I do? LBS messed up my Bianchi.

I own a 2001 Bianchi Veloche that I bought last fall new. It has Campy Veloche grupo. It rans super slick until I took it into my LBS last week. It now has phantom shifting in the higher gears (7-9) in back. It's worse in # 9. After my LBS tried three additional times to fix the phanton shifiting it's still there. My LBS told me that a Bianchi Chrmolite frame is for riders under 150 lbs. I'm 6' 3" 180 lbs. I called Bianchi USA and they thought my lbs (where I did not buy this bike) was full of dung.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriner89
    I own a 2001 Bianchi Veloche that I bought last fall new. It has Campy Veloche grupo. It rans super slick until I took it into my LBS last week. It now has phantom shifting in the higher gears (7-9) in back. It's worse in # 9. After my LBS tried three additional times to fix the phanton shifiting it's still there. My LBS told me that a Bianchi Chrmolite frame is for riders under 150 lbs. I'm 6' 3" 180 lbs. I called Bianchi USA and they thought my lbs (where I did not buy this bike) was full of dung.

Take the bike to another shop and never look back. Your right, Bianchi would know the weight limits more than someone would.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmotz
    Take the bike to another shop and never look back. Your right, Bianchi would know the weight limits more than someone would.
    I agree. Find a new shop, one with a reputable mechanic.

Apr 2004
    Go Postal on them. Do you have any ammo? Grenades? Oozies? Well, then get to it.

Apr 2004
    another lbs or fix it yourself. i recommend fixing it yourself, you'll never regret it, and it's always good to be in touch with your drivetrain. park tools website for full info on how to.

sd

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shaq-d
    another lbs or fix it yourself. i recommend fixing it yourself, you'll never regret it, and it's always good to be in touch with your drivetrain. park tools website for full info on how to.

sd
    I second that! Once I learned how to tune my drivetrain my bikes have never shifted better. The lbs does an ok job but they just never get it tuned to perfection. I get mine close in the garage then take a screwdriver out on a check ride and fine tune it on the road. Within one or two stops I've got it tuned to perfection.

eminence grease

I know just how you feel. Recently I won a bike, a rather expensive bike and it was to be built and delivered to me by an LBS. I picked it up, took it home and put it on my stand. Not only was it very noisy in the rear, the front derailleur was set so poorly that one quick shift would've sent the chain flying off the big ring.

So, I'll 3rd or 4th or 5th the recommendation to learn how to do it yourself. Rear Derailleurs are not hard, if you meticulously follow the instructions step by step.

The specific Veloce instructions can be found here:

http://www.campagnolo.com/pdf/REAR_DERAILLEUR.pdf English is about halfway through.

I have never found a single rear derailleur problem that couldn't be fixed by starting at Step One and following the directions. Look at it this way, you're already screwed up, it's doubtful you'll make it worse.

Frog Whisperer

no way

no way your LBS is going to get the drive-train adjusted right...unless they are taking it out and riding it for a couple hours in different road conditions. The drive train most certainly reacts differently under load than it does on a stand.
    I got a new Bianchi in 2003 (2002 model SWEET BIKE....still handmade in Italy according to the decals) and it took me a good 3 days to get the drive-train dialed in even though it was SUPPOSED to be perfct when I picked it up. (Fact is I was MISSING 8 GEARS, didn't even shift onto the 52 up front!) I never even mentuioned it...just fixed it RIGHT myself
    Thinking back.....I have only had one occaision out of maybe 10 that a shop DIDN'T screw up the drivetrain EVEN WHEN THEY WERE INSTRUCTED NOT TO TOUCH IT. (Things like changing the angle of front der...and straightening out a BOW that HAD to be in it to get an ultegra BB and ring/crank to shift well on a flat bar road bike)
    Do it yourself...if you don't know how...it is time to learn...remember...the LBS ain't going to be there when you are trying to get up that hill at mile 90 on the century and the thing keeps mis-shifting!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    second the DIY recommendation. they are full of dung. only ultra-ultralight aluminum frames have that sort of weight limit. for a steel frame to be for riders under 150, it must be under 2.5lbs. although one must admit that if you were flexing the rear triangle that much, phantom shifting would probably be one of the results.

Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    no way your LBS is going to get the drive-train adjusted right...unless they are taking it out and riding it for a couple hours in different road conditions. The drive train most certainly reacts differently under load than it does on a stand.
    This is actually true. Unless a shop test rides your bike, and it doesn't need to be for 3 hours, the shifting won't be right. Bikes do shift different in the stand, every decent mechanic konws this and that is why they test ride your bike. Unless the customer's bike doesn't come close to fitting me, I ride it after I adjust it. If it doesn't fit me, I make the customer ride it and tell me what it is doing, but won't let them leave until they ride the bike and give me a thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    I got a new Bianchi in 2003 (2002 model SWEET BIKE....still handmade in Italy according to the decals) and it took me a good 3 days to get the drive-train dialed in even though it was SUPPOSED to be perfct when I picked it up. (Fact is I was MISSING 8 GEARS, didn't even shift onto the 52 up front!)

That is simply due to normal cable stretch. The shop should have told you about it. Cables are braided stainless steel... they strech when new. A stretched cable won't go to a larger chainring or larger cog because once stretched, the tension on the cable is too low. But if shouldn't have taken 3 days to get it right.

I am not trying to pick on you, but read what you wrote... you are criticzing a bike shop for not getting your shifting perfect when you just said that it took you three days to get it so. Either that shop has bad mechanics, and not trying to be offensive, but you aren't so good either, or the rigging of your bent front derailleur made it nearly impossible for your bike to shift right because it was bent. If it took you 3 days to get the shifting right, are you really in a position to criticize some kid at an LBS who wasn't going to fiddle with a bent derailleur for 3 days so he didn't have to charge you $40 to get your bike to shift?

I know I wasn't there and don't know you, your shop, or anyone involved's wrenching skills, but if it takes 3 days to fix a front derailleur, you should go to a really good shop and have them show you how to make it work right, not good enough, but right. Bikes are simple machines and getting them to work right is not a hard thing, but then we are all also human and prone to making silly human mistakes along the way. No one is exempt from that.

Russ

RoadBikeReview Member
    If the der hanger is aligned properly and nothing is damaged and the cassette/chain aren't worn out, my guess is the cables/housing either need to be cleaned/lubed or replaced. Any mechanic with half a brain should be able to figure it out and make the fix in five minutes, max.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Buy a good book about bike maintenance

Buy a book about bike maintenance, such as Zinn & The Art Of Road Bike Maintenance, and some basic tools. Learn how to work on your own bike. It's not a rocket science. You will save time and money and your bike will run nice and smooth. It's rewarding and nice to not have you bike laid up in some LBS for a week or ten days until someone gets around to look at it.

Sounds like your rear der needs adjustment. Check the Park website, they will tell you how to do it, it takes about 5 minutes.

Jul 2004

Thanks to all

Wow!
    Thank you so much for all of the great advice. I have an appointment at The Wheat Ridge Cyclery this Friday. I am going to order the Zinn book. I have also bookmarked the Park web site. Is there a cool DVD out there for fixing road bikes?
    Now I am motivated to take control of my bike. I have an old Mt. Bike that I can ply Dr. Franknstein on before I wrench on my Bianchi.