What is your favorite smart trainer cycling app?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015

What is your favorite smart trainer cycling app?

I just got a Tacx and their app is nice but my trial is over. About to try Zwift. I like the engaging visual element of the Tacx videos and I imagine Zwift will have a similar component.

I love to climb!
    I've been using Zwift for 5 years. Great program
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisthebeave View Post
    I just got a Tacx and their app is nice but my trial is over. About to try Zwift. I like the engaging visual element of the Tacx videos and I imagine Zwift will have a similar component.
    I like Zwift, not just because of the solid graphics but because you are riding with other people (sort of). It can can expensive though to get a nice setup

Pack Fodder.
    I've been on Zwift since beta. Burned myself out for the road season a couple times by overdoing it on the platform, but it sure helps to pass the hours on the trainer.

A lot depends on what your goals are and how you're motivated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I've been on Zwift since beta. Burned myself out for the road season a couple times by overdoing it on the platform, but it sure helps to pass the hours on the trainer.

A lot depends on what your goals are and how you're motivated.
    To the OP, what has helped for me is keeping my rides on Zwift short but hard. Some people can get on a spin for 2-3 hours but for me that gets old really fast. Some people find that the groups rides or racing help keep them motivated

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Trainer Road for structure and RGT Cycling for interaction. I was on Zwift for 4 years but quit because of the video game nature of the application (dinosaurs, Irish elk, steering, etc), limited customer support, and the low quality of the video rendering (not a GPU issue, I'm not an apple fanboy). The routes available on Zwift is not my cup of tea also, basically all climbs and rollers. On RGT Cycling, I can ride my own routes although scenery is limited to forest meadow but not bored yet after 3 mos. I would have switched earlier but had a minor setup/configuration issue unique to my system and was too lazy to resolve (but glad it was resolved).

flinty-eyed moderator
    Zwift
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Opus was just napping
    I do all of my indoor running using the Zwift app.

I know it is popular for riders, but I love the running feature as well, my treadmill auto connects through blu-tooth and is ready to go.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Xert has been my preference since Jan 2019. I tried Zwift first, and overlapped it w/ Xert until December 2019, but didnít care for Zwift enough to keep using it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I used to be an indoor trainer hater, but I am a convert now. I use TrainerRoad and Zwift. I can get in training rides anytime now and not be weather dependent, so mix it up with indoor and outdoor training/riding. I've been Zwifting and training with TrainerRoad since around November 2019.
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
    '12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
    Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

Cannot bench own weight
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisthebeave View Post

Zwift is easily the best. No contest. Why? Well they don't try to do alternate reality where the visuals are real (which always have cars and janky frame rates).

Zwift is a video game and is rendered as such, and your smart trainer is the controller.

The GPS accurate models of Alpe d'Huez and Mont Ventoux are great. The other visuals are stimulating enough for me. It will only get better as time goes on.

I use a Wahoo Kickr and Climb, although the climb is overrated and not needed.
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008