What's a good discount on a brand new 2020 bike?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

What's a good discount on a brand new 2020 bike?

What would you consider a good discount on a new 2020 bike? Around 2-3k range.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    You may get a discount on some accessories, cages, bottles, computer or other ancillary purchases made when you get the bike. If you want a discount on a bike look at a 2019 model.

Proud luddite
    I agree with ogre...you shouldn’t expect a discount on a 2020 bike now. But in 2021 you can get a screaming deal on a 2020. 🙂

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I get pretty deep 'good customer' discounts at my local bike shop. I've purchased a couple of high end bike there over the years, and lots and lots of other miscellaneous crap.

I get anywhere from 10% to 30% off of just about everything I buy there... EXCEPT the latest model year bikes.

I wouldn't "expect" any discount on new releases.

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Also if it's a hot seller and your LBS has limited quantities, it may be sold out before you know it.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
    What would you consider a good discount on a new 2020 bike? Around 2-3k range.
    Why do you think you should be getting a brand new bike at a discount?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

What the what???
    As others have said, you probably shouldn’t expect a discount on a new bike. Instead, maybe see if they have a deal on a service (fitting, tune-up, etc.) with the purchase of a new ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

I love to climb!
    $1 would be a good discount on a new 2020 bike. Seriously, most models aren't even available, yet. Those that are, why should they even consider discounting?
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

δanned
    Do you feel entitled to a discount because it's a major purchase? If so, why?
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Definitely not like buying a new car - there are no doc fees, holdback, PDI fees, appearance packs... Go in swinging at the car dealerships - they created the game.

But a bike is just a product on a shelf - like a box of cereal or pair of shoes. Do you ask for discounts there? Not trying to be a $&#@. Really. That the bike costs a lot is immaterial.

Now, once that product on the shelf has been there so long that the new ones are showing up, yeah - there will be discounts. At that point, you're kind of doing the shop a favor - helping them get rid of old stock.

But, don't wait for that deal too long. I tried to game the system once - waited... waited... and then they didn't have my size. The guy at the shop did point out that they had my size in the current year. He did such a good job not laughing in my face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    meh, a ridiculously vague question...are you really expecting a useful answer...?

depends on the bike, the shop, the sales area, and more than a few other variables.

ask for a free water bottle or inner tube instead of a discount.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I'm relieved to have read through this thread because I never get a discount on anything.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Why do you think you should be getting a brand new bike at a discount?
    Maybe he thinks he's charming.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Last two bikes I purchased I asked for and got a discount on the current model year. 10% the first time and close to 5% the last bike. Why wouldn't you ask for a discount? They can decline and you still get to pay MSRP if you want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I want to keep my LBS in business, so I just pay up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Whatever the price of a very 'basic' fit and a little break on a new stem and pedals if needed is about what I'd expect.

I'm not really up on groupsets and the world of disc brakes and how those relate to 2019 vs 2020 but it's generally pretty far from a given that newer means better. Frames tend to not change in meaningful ways and cheaper specs are just as likely as better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Trolling with this question.

2020 is still 4 months away. Sales are on current 2019 models. If a shop has 2020 bikes in stock, they are probably waiting in a box until the 2019's clear out or the week before January, whichever comes first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Click here to edit signature.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    You may get a discount on some accessories, cages, bottles, computer or other ancillary purchases made when you get the bike. If you want a discount on a bike look at a 2019 model.
    My wife got a screaming deal once on a year-end close out. In the Fall of 2014 she bought a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10, with a high end aluminum frame and complete Ultegra Di2 shifting and the rest components also Ultegra. It was listed at $4200 but what Cannondale learned was for that money, most consumers wanted a carbon frame. So Cannondale was stuck with a bunch of CAAD 10s that were not selling....so they instructed dealers to mark the bikes way down just to get them sold. She was able to get one of those bikes for $2400! An amazing deal for a really, really nice bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by vic bastige View Post
    Why wouldn't you ask for a discount?
    No one said you shouldn't ask. The OP's question was what discount should be expected. I think the consensus is that the expectation is zero percent. Especially if the bike is a new design for that year.

Bikes that are in high demand (for whatever reason) and/or low availability are probably not going to get discounted at all. Same thing with "special orders".

It might be possible to get a slight 'good customer' discount on bikes that are just new colorways over the prior year, and perhaps on lower end SKUs.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    In 2021 you can get a screaming deal on a 2020.
    just think, in 2040, he can get a vintage ebike for, like, $100.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    No one said you shouldn't ask.
    It was a rhetorical statement.

And the keeping my local bakeshop in business sentiment is nostalgic, but paying more to keep a place in business when the goods/service can be had elsewhere cheaper is largely an unsustainable effort. Might as well just donate your money, but that argument has been been covered over and over again. Their future is service and they are happy to work on my Canyon at a very profitable rate...and I am happy to pay it because that service can't be found elsewhere cheaper. All business is forced to adapt and overcome. Bikeshops will and the strong/competitive will thrive.

On topic, I still have been able to get a price reduction on the last two bikes I have purchased other than the Canyon.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfaas View Post
    Trolling with this question.

2020 is still 4 months away. Sales are on current 2019 models. If a shop has 2020 bikes in stock, they are probably waiting in a box until the 2019's clear out or the week before January, whichever comes first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Not likely at all.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by vic bastige View Post
    It was a rhetorical statement.

And the keeping my local bakeshop in business sentiment is nostalgic, but paying more to keep a place in business when the goods/service can be had elsewhere cheaper is largely an unsustainable effort. Might as well just donate your money, but that argument has been been covered over and over again. Their future is service and they are happy to work on my Canyon at a very profitable rate...and I am happy to pay it because that service can't be found elsewhere cheaper. All business is forced to adapt and overcome. Bikeshops will and the strong/competitive will thrive.

On topic, I still have been able to get a price reduction on the last two bikes I have purchased other than the Canyon.
    Generally, if you frequent a bike shop for repairs, they will give you a discount when you buy a bike. I never ask, but I got about a 10% discount on the last two bikes I bought from my shop.

Be a good customer, buy lunch for the mechanics once in awhile. Discounts will come.

Older leftover bikes are a different story. They want to get rid of them. In Oct. 2007, I got a leftover $2,400 bike for $1,800.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I have a Giant dealer here in So Cal who gives me 15% off on ANY bike with no tax. That comes out to 25% off.