What's new in the world of saddles?
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Reputation: old_fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,629

    What's new in the world of saddles?

    I've been riding the same 2 saddles for about 10 years now, and they've simply become uncomfortable for me. The oldest one, a Selle Italia tri saddle, has begun to wear down my shirts; the newest one, a Bontrager (from a Gary Fisher road bike) just sits weird under my sitbones and causes enduring pain lasting for days after even the shortest ride. Both saddles were perfectly comfortable in the past; that's why I ultimately stuck with both of em for so long.

    So, since I've been out of the saddle market for 10ish years, I have no idea what's out there anymore. Can you fine folks kindly point me in the right direction?
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,721
    You can try this direction.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,998
    I don't know then Selle Smp hit the scene in the US but their design is the only thing I can think of that you might view as new in a meaningful way.

    Doesn't sound like carbon rails and other weight weenie things are what you care about but there's that too.

  4. #4
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,198
    I picked up a Selle Italia Flite saddle in the early 1990's and have been riding them ever since. Many of us panicked when Selle Italia reinvented it in the 2000's, only to come back with the original a few years later. You can find them for $80-$100 around the web.

    I have been intrigued by this company's custom saddle, but a little afraid to try it since they're almost $300 -- and if I got one and loved it, I'd need to buy three more. They get rave reviews (see a recent velonews article)

    https://www.meld3d.com/

  5. #5
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Reputation: old_fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I don't know then Selle Smp hit the scene in the US but their design is the only thing I can think of that you might view as new in a meaningful way.

    Doesn't sound like carbon rails and other weight weenie things are what you care about but there's that too.
    Looks intriguing! You're absolutely right, I'm not into weight shaving and all that...I rarely even track the distance of my rides (I mostly just go out for a few hours at a time). A Brooks is on the top of my list, but the reason I started this thread is to get some feelers out there and see what's currently on the market.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,998
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Looks intriguing!
    They work great for me and that seems to be the general consensus with most who have used them. The problem as with a lot of saddles is they are expensive. Which is fine if they work but sucks if they don't.

    I don't know if this is 'new' in the last 10 years either but it's pretty common now-a-day for bike shops and even some on-line dealers to offer a demo program. I'd definitely suggest that if possible.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I have been intrigued by this company's custom saddle, but a little afraid to try it since they're almost $300 -- and if I got one and loved it, I'd need to buy three more. They get rave reviews (see a recent velonews article)

    https://www.meld3d.com/
    Only the initial one is full price, then the subsequent purchases (from same mold) are less.

  8. #8
    Pack Fodder.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    I'm a big fan of the Specialized Power saddle these days. Snub-nosed saddles with generous cutouts are all the rage currently.

    Worth a shot.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    893
    Trek/Bontrager now has a sort of 'etch-a-sketch' device that measures the distance between your sit bones. Bontrager saddles now come in three different widths (I don't know if women's saddles add more width options).

    I recently went on an MTB ride with a Trek demo bike and a friend who had the same bike but with a different frame size. He had the narrow saddle (I'm medium, 138mm) and after about twenty minutes on his bike, it became rather painful.

    I think some of the other major players have different saddle widths as well.

  10. #10
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Reputation: old_fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Trek/Bontrager now has a sort of 'etch-a-sketch' device that measures the distance between your sit bones. Bontrager saddles now come in three different widths (I don't know if women's saddles add more width options).

    I recently went on an MTB ride with a Trek demo bike and a friend who had the same bike but with a different frame size. He had the narrow saddle (I'm medium, 138mm) and after about twenty minutes on his bike, it became rather painful.

    I think some of the other major players have different saddle widths as well.
    My wife got to use one of those devices for both her Specialized MTB and her Cannondale roadie! They're super slick! Maybe I oughta go talk to my bike shop buddies and see about getting my silly ass onto one of them...
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

  11. #11
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,273
    Hey, Fuji, now's your chance to become "that guy" who shows up at the club ride with a Moon saddle!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  12. #12
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Reputation: old_fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Hey, Fuji, now's your chance to become "that guy" who shows up at the club ride with a Moon saddle!
    I've always wanted to be a Fred!
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ROAD&DIRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    996
    There are many saddles out there and in todays market, many different sizes and shapes. It would be hard to point you in the right direction as saddles are very personal so to each there own... with that said, I landed on the Selle SMP "Drakon" and haven't looked back. Love the fit, size and shape.

    Your best bet is to find an on-line store or a locate LBS that offers a demo program so you can try many different styles before plunking down a lot of hard earned cash
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

    "There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

    "Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,374
    Large cutouts and snub nose saddles seem to be growing in popularity from what I can tell. Lots of brands making these to choose from.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  15. #15
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Reputation: old_fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,629
    Stopped in at the LBS today, and was incredibly taken by the Brooks C-17 saddle. Also, the guy recommended a few offerings from Fabric. Unfortunately, they only offered demos on the Fabric saddles, not the Brooks. I've been flirting with buying a Brooks saddle for ages now, and have been looking at the leather offerings on Amazon...but, having seen this rubber-coated one, I'm also intrigued.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,855
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Stopped in at the LBS today, and was incredibly taken by the Brooks C-17 saddle. Also, the guy recommended a few offerings from Fabric. Unfortunately, they only offered demos on the Fabric saddles, not the Brooks. I've been flirting with buying a Brooks saddle for ages now, and have been looking at the leather offerings on Amazon...but, having seen this rubber-coated one, I'm also intrigued.
    I been real happy with mine. My 1st one was tearing up by the nose, which was an issue with the 1st ones, supposed to be corrected. I replaced it at 11,000 miles and the 2nd one just passed 10,000 problem free.

    I put the 1st one, the tore one, on the bike I use on the trainer during the winter months and it hasn't gotten any worse. I've seen them on sale for less than $100.

    If you're looking for leather there's also Gilles Berthoud and I've heard that Ideale saddles are being made again, tho I haven't seen any.
    Too old to ride plastic

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I picked up a Selle Italia Flite saddle in the early 1990's and have been riding them ever since. Many of us panicked when Selle Italia reinvented it in the 2000's, only to come back with the original a few years later. You can find them for $80-$100 around the web.

    I have been intrigued by this company's custom saddle, but a little afraid to try it since they're almost $300 -- and if I got one and loved it, I'd need to buy three more. They get rave reviews (see a recent velonews article)

    https://www.meld3d.com/
    Every time I finish a ride and look at my Flite, I keep thinking that I should get another one in case they discontinue it. It fits me that well.👌

  18. #18
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    27,991
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Looks intriguing! You're absolutely right, I'm not into weight shaving and all that...I rarely even track the distance of my rides (I mostly just go out for a few hours at a time). A Brooks is on the top of my list, but the reason I started this thread is to get some feelers out there and see what's currently on the market.
    FYI, with Selle SMP, how comfortable they can be is very sensitive to adjustment particularly tilt. If you have a gen1 1-bolt seatpost, beware--you're going to have lots of "fun" getting it right.

    I have SMPs on my bikes, love the things. Look goofy, but work on my derriere.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  19. #19
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    ....... and I've heard that Ideale saddles are being made again, tho I haven't seen any.
    "Classic" Ideale saddles, or just something with the Ideale brand stuck on it? I was a bike mechanic 'back in the day' when Ideale was just going out of business, and back then they were noted as being incredibly fragile saddles, rarely lasting longer than a single season. There's a reason restorers pay big bucks for good examples of them; by the early 80's there was hardly one left that hadn't broke!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Similar Threads

  1. New saddles, a pro bike fit, new shorts, vaseline, etc
    By NYBigfoot in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 09:47 AM
  2. Saddles, saddles and saddles
    By AlanS in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 03:27 AM
  3. Saddles, saddles everywhere
    By bikersteve in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 04:47 AM
  4. Saddles & Wheels, Wheels & Saddles
    By BigFatSal in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 12:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.