Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Who invented the Boa lacing system?

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  chang100 
#1 ·
#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
I guess I'll find out if this system does suck if the Specialized S-Works road shoe I ordered fits. I couldn't find any feedback on how good it works either. Do you know personally that it's crap?

trijunior said:
does it matter? it still sucks!

unless you get the PI flamer shoes

#5 ·
I've got a pair...

High Gear said:
I gues I'll find out if this system does suck if the Specialized S-Works road shoe I ordered fits. I couldn't find any feedback on how good it works either. Do you know personally that it's crap?
I've got a pair, and to say that they suck, I'd severely disagree with that assumption (this is assuming said person has probably never worn the shoes). Other than what I would consider a pretty cool appearance, these shoes fit superbly because of the boa system, are comfortable, and are pretty stiff (I had been using Sidi Ergo Carbons, and these are much stiffer). So I'd give them a 2 thumbs up.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. Do you have the Specialized or the PI's? I tried the Specialized S-Works on today and did like the fit. If you have the Specialized, do they kind of custom mold to your foot after a while with this lacing system?

magnolialover said:
I've got a pair, and to say that they suck, I'd severely disagree with that assumption (this is assuming said person has probably never worn the shoes). Other than what I would consider a pretty cool appearance, these shoes fit superbly because of the boa system, are comfortable, and are pretty stiff (I had been using Sidi Ergo Carbons, and these are much stiffer). So I'd give them a 2 thumbs up.

#7 ·
I hate not having individual straps

magnolialover said:

One adjustment for the whole shoe does "suck" for me. I run my bottom strap very loose and my middle and top strap tight. I tried these shoes (Specialized) and they're is not individual adjustment. Also, I kept envisioning me cranking down on that fragile wheel and line only to have it snap minutes before an important race, gave me willies.

#8 ·
Yes, I can see your point. I thought what would happen if that line broke while I'm far from home. I talked to the purchaser at a high-end shop in the Boston area and she had lots of faith in the system. It has been out and in use for quite a while in more demanding conditions like snow boarding. I guess if a big company like Specialized takes a chance in using an unconventional system like this, they probably did their homework. I had a very special pair of road shoes years back made by Sidi calle the Tecno. It used a front holding system using a single dial that had a fishing line like line and dial. It really gave a secure hold of my foot. I think this will be the same.

OnTheRivet said:
One adjustment for the whole shoe does "suck" for me. I run my bottom strap very loose and my middle and top strap tight. I tried these shoes (Specialized) and they're is not individual adjustment. Also, I kept envisioning me cranking down on that fragile wheel and line only to have it snap minutes before an important race, gave me willies.

#9 ·
both

magnolialover said:
i have worn both. pi's seem to be much narrower, but maybe that was just me. i can assure you that if you crash hard you will wish you were smarter. replacing that system is much more expensive than you would think. I think specialized is a little better, but it there are 3 straps or more on most shoes for a reason. the uppers don't exactly contour to every persons foot. 3 straps give a custom fit, not a fit that puts the upper in the same tension everywhere throughout the shoe. if you aren't racing, maybe they will be more comfortable for you, but in a race situation, being able to custom tune your shoes, running the upper straps tighter for sprints and keeping the toes loose on hot days, is priceless. the specialized white carbon soles reflect the heat of the road, so they are definitely "cool". hahahaha

just my opinion though, probably will work awesome for some people.

#10 ·
I had this (or very similar) system on running shoes (guess it was "Puma") somewhen 10 years ago. It was Ok and quite comfy till lace brokes, and it has brocken quite fast (half a year). At that moment no replacement lase was available so shoes were directed to trashcan.

For me shoes with lacing system that can provide "catastrophic" failure and are not easily reparable on road are out of question.

High Gear said:
I thought Specialized was the only one with this lacing system, but it's used on the PI Road Viper shoe along with some others I found. You'll be surprised.

http://www.horsesdacor.com/HorsesDacor/catalog/boaboots/Boa-HorseBoot.shtml

http://www.the-house.com/nw2qc075zznorthwaveboots.html

BTW Can you tell I'm board? I'm at home sick today.

#11 ·
www.boatechnology.com

To answer the original post question: Boa Technology invented the lacing system, and it's used in a variety of athletic footwear. It's best when used in snowboarding and ice hockey boots, because it has a steel cable that is almost impossible to break. The problem with cycling or running shoes with Boa is that instead of steel, there's a nylon monofilament line (think fishing line) instead of steel cable. The nylon line is a lot lighter and less bulky, resulting in a smaller Boa reel that reduces weight, but it's a lot easier to kink or break the line. In order to save weight and bulk, you lose reliability, which is why I'm sticking to cycling shoes with straps. However, Boa works great on snowboarding boots--it's a proven technology that makes getting in and out of the boots fast and easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.