Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Patches

banned
    Nov 2009

Who Patches

I bought a pint sized tin of glue and have been patching. I put the patched tube back in bike tire and return new tube to spare status. Seems to be working good and it feels like Iím doing something for the environment. Win win

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    That's what I do. While I've never had a patch tube fail (at the patch), I always keep a new tube in the saddle bag. Patched tube goes on the bike the night before to make sure it's leak free.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    That's what I do. While I've never had a patch tube fail (at the patch), I always keep a new tube in the saddle bag. Patched tube goes on the bike the night before to make sure it's leak free.
    Around here itís most always goat heads so that makes patching easy.

I rode dirt bikes for years but the flats were pinch flats so we never patched.

Although I did pinch a rear roadie tire the other day jumping off the curb over some rocks in the road cause by those do it your self pre mixed concrete trailers that dump some of their load on the road out the back of trailer when taking off from a stop because trailer is too full.

RoadBikeReview Member
    been patching tubes for decades. far more economical and environmental that tossing one just because it has a pinhole leak.

I wait until a have a dozen or so and do them all at once. uses up most of a tube of glue that way.

had a patch party while watching one of the Tour stages...was a perfect way to spend a blazingly hot afternoon.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    I wait until a have a dozen or so and do them all at once. uses up most of a tube of glue that way.

had a patch party while watching one of the Tour stages...was a perfect way to spend a blazingly hot afternoon.
    Same here. I'll usually do it twice a year. Once while watching the Tour. Another on a snowy winter day.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

banned
    Nov 2009
    Patching on the ride just never worked for me as usually more often than not the tube was bone dried up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Patch tubes in the garage, unless all your good tubes are used. On the bike carry self glue patch kit, for when all else fails. But by then all my canisters would be depleted, but someone may have a pump.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was one of few cyclists I knew who patched my own tubulars back in the day

I reflexively patch my tubes .. but then they sit around in my shop unused a lot. I like to carry a new tube because they come really really tightly packed and tiny, in shrink wrap. and cost like pocket change these days.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    I also have a can of glue. I patch and put back on if it's not too damaged to do so. Some tubes have quite a few patches. I don't have a max that I would do.

Usually carry new as spares and one patched up one to give out to a fellow cyclist in need.

I also used to ride sew ups and patch them myself. Now that was a pain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I replace the tube on the road and patch it when I get home. Once patched it replaces the spare I used on the road.

I also carry glueless patches "just in case". I left one of those in the tire till the tire wore out and never had a problem with the patch failing. About 800 miles.
    Too old to ride plastic

Russian Troll Farmer
    I patch both tubes and tubulars, although I usually wait until I have a few, then do them on a cold, rainy day. I prefer Rema patches, and I buy a box of a dozen of those little glue tubes; the cans always dry out before I'm half done.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I bought a can of glue but found its too much for my needs. Most of it dried up in the can. False economy. Walmart has large tubes of glue made by Slime for cheap.

Neophyte
    A tube of Rema cement seems to last forever for me, haven't really had one dry out. Patching is good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I replace the tube on the road and patch it when I get home. Once patched it replaces the spare I used on the road.
    That's what I do. I do carry patches on the road as well just in case I get more than one flat. Though I do carry two tubes in my saddle bag.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I think I have only patched three tubes since I started working at a shop over 25 years ago. Tubes are really cheap wholesale, but I admire people who patch them for the sensibility of it.

The last time I patched a tube I was out in the boonies gravel riding. When I pulled out my extra tube, I noticed it was schrader valved tube!

Back in the day, (way back) I wouldn't even carry a spare tube, but just patched 'em as I got flats. Now I always carry a tube and a patch kit.

Banned forever.....or not
    A few years ago, I bought a box of 100 Rema Tip Top patches from Amazon.....I got tired of buying the small kit with 5 patches, and then running out. I've been known to ride a tube with 3 or 4 patches on it. I don't patch tubulars anymore. I send them in to tirealert.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    A few years ago, I bought a box of 100 Rema Tip Top patches from Amazon.....I got tired of buying the small kit with 5 patches, and then running out. I've been known to ride a tube with 3 or 4 patches on it. I don't patch tubulars anymore. I send them in to tirealert.
    I've got a few tubes with 3-4 patches.
    100 box of Rema is the way to go. And a can of vulcanizing cement. Doesn't dry up and lasts years. Can get it at most auto supply stores for under $10.
    https://www.autozone.com/sealants-gl...ent/576761_0_0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I've got a few tubes with 3-4 patches.
    100 box of Rema is the way to go. And a can of vulcanizing cement. Doesn't dry up and lasts years. Can get it at most auto supply stores for under $10.
    https://www.autozone.com/sealants-gl...ent/576761_0_0
    Interesting that it's called vulcanizing, which it doesn't do.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    In college I had a tube with 14 patches.
    It was some sort of a bet...

banned
    Nov 2009
    When I was a mere lad back on the farm we couldn't afford tubes so we made a facsimile out of patches, and we liked it!

a real member's member
    i patched the seat of my black jorts the other day.

iron-on. worked pretty well.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I patched a hole in the sole of my Chuck Taylors back in my youth.

It didn't work so much.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    My rule of thumb is after five patches, the tube is done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And a can of vulcanizing cement. Doesn't dry up and lasts years. Can get it at most auto supply stores for under $10. https://www.autozone.com/sealants-gl...ent/576761_0_0
    Thanks for the tip. I got a sheet of patches on eBay but didn't know what to do for adhesive.

I carry a Parks patch kit on the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    In my younger days, I had a tube with 27 patches. It was still usable, but I retired it. When I was a child, I remember the process of hot vulcanizing the patch. I don't think that is done anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast