Who's scratched their bike in a really stupid way? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seeking shades of grey
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Titanium frame, no paint. Basically scratch proof. It's in its 15th season with roughly 140,000 miles. Hardly a visible mark on it.
    As someone who just bought his first Ti bike (after riding for about two decades) this gives me a smile from ear to ear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    I bought my Cannondale back in '98. I had it for about a week. I was taking it for a ride on the local bike path (W&OD for those familiar with Northern Virginia). Anyway, I was riding behind some pretty girl and was trying to think of something to say to her. Anyway, she slowed to a stop at one of the road crossings. I unclip with my right foot like I always do but since the *ahem* view was better to the left, I leaned left.

Down I went. I had been riding clipless pedals for five or six years at that point without an issue. Scratched up the left seat stay pretty good, but was otherwise unhurt. On the bright side, she definitely noticed my presence. Unfortunately, I was too mortified to say anything other than "I'm fine".

δanned
    Quote Originally Posted by perpetuum_mobile View Post
    I you worry about scratches on your bike it means you spent more than you can afford.
    Do you posit the same thing with cars, too?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kfurrow View Post
    I bought my Cannondale back in '98. I had it for about a week. I was taking it for a ride on the local bike path (W&OD for those familiar with Northern Virginia). Anyway, I was riding behind some pretty girl and was trying to think of something to say to her. Anyway, she slowed to a stop at one of the road crossings. I unclip with my right foot like I always do but since the *ahem* view was better to the left, I leaned left.

Down I went. I had been riding clipless pedals for five or six years at that point without an issue. Scratched up the left seat stay pretty good, but was otherwise unhurt. On the bright side, she definitely noticed my presence. Unfortunately, I was too mortified to say anything other than "I'm fine".
    Been there, done that, only I was with my wife.

I got to watching a hottie in a bikini on roller blades and managed to catch my front wheel in a crack in the concrete. I went down in a heap and my Missus pulled up next to me, offered no help and asked "So, did she have a nice ass?" and laughed at me.

No damage to the bike and I've been laughed at before and since, so I got a fun memory out of the deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    While reading an encyclopedia?
    Rep'd!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Brand new Carbon Defy, first carbon bike. First time with Clipless, go for my first long ride in 20 year, get back totally exhausted, stop the bike and over I go in my driveway right by my wifes garden which is lined with big rocks. got my foot out in time to put it down but not before the seat post hit the rocks and chipped the paint in 3 places. I owned the bike for a total of 4 hours......

Chips are still there as a reminder to me to always unclip

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    After reading some of these, I kinda feel good about the chainstay dent I got from some fellow noob CAT 5 race I did.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF View Post
    After reading some of these, I kinda feel good about the chainstay dent I got from some fellow noob CAT 5 race I did.
    Picked up an New 2017 Scott Addict Disc 20 on a holdover 3 months ago, beautiful bike.

a month a go I was on a bike path during the evening and ebike came on my right without notice running me off the road. I fell to my left taking most of the blow skinning my knees and left elbow. Cracked the left Ultegra name plate and chain popped off and lightly scratched the top paint by the crank. Changed the name plate and put automotive top coat on the scratches

fast forward to last night, again on a path during the evening and a young child was in my way so I go onto the grass and then try to merge back on but the back tire hits the lip of the trail and I fell over again on my left. Chain popped off but this time barley no scratches probably due to the top coat I put on their previously. However I cracked my left name plate again lol and the metal part above the name plate and metal part on the shifter have gone to the bare aluminium.

Not great luck so far this Summer with this bike...

Russian Troll Farmer
    Wow, with that sort of record, you should see your doctor and have your reflexes checked. I'm not sure I'd be advertising my capabilities like this...

BTW, thanks for dredging up a thread that died 6 years ago!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Building a brand new custom steel frame, dropped a 5mm allen on the top tube while tightening the h/s top cap bolt. Knowing full well that the frame builder/painter didn't know **** about painting and threw one massively thick poorly mixed coat of paint that never dried on the frame I still managed to drop a tool.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Wow, with that sort of record, you should see your doctor and have your reflexes checked. I'm not sure I'd be advertising my capabilities like this...

BTW, thanks for dredging up a thread that died 6 years ago!
    I was thinking maybe it's time for a new hobby, preferably one that does not involve guns, cars, motorcycles, rackets, bats, hatchets, knitting needles, sewing machines, bows and arrows, chainsaws, knives, diving, caving, flying or climbing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I was thinking maybe it's time for a new hobby, preferably one that does not involve guns, cars, motorcycles, rackets, bats, hatchets, knitting needles, sewing machines, bows and arrows, chainsaws, knives, diving, caving, flying or climbing.
    Where's the fun in this?
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Where's the fun in this?
    I didn't rule out water balloons.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I didn't rule out water balloons.
    Well, yeah, that can be a damp good time.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Well, yeah, that can be a damp good time.
    Yes, provided the proper safety equipment is used, and the water balloons are not frozen solid.

PS: I see what you did there. But don't get an inflated sense of your joke potential.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, provided the proper safety equipment is used, and the water balloons are not frozen solid.

PS: I see what you did there. But don't get an inflated sense of your joke potential.

Safety equipment!?!?

We're not at work, we don't need no stinking safety equipment.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrasero View Post
    Picked up an New 2017 Scott Addict Disc 20 on a holdover 3 months ago, beautiful bike.

a month a go I was on a bike path during the evening and ebike came on my right without notice running me off the road. I fell to my left taking most of the blow skinning my knees and left elbow. Cracked the left Ultegra name plate and chain popped off and lightly scratched the top paint by the crank. Changed the name plate and put automotive top coat on the scratches

fast forward to last night, again on a path during the evening and a young child was in my way so I go onto the grass and then try to merge back on but the back tire hits the lip of the trail and I fell over again on my left. Chain popped off but this time barley no scratches probably due to the top coat I put on their previously. However I cracked my left name plate again lol and the metal part above the name plate and metal part on the shifter have gone to the bare aluminium.

Not great luck so far this Summer with this bike...
    Can't be intimidated by e bikes. Hold your line and he would have gone around, not drive you off the tarmac.

A young child won't take up more than half the path. Say something when you get behind him, like, "Say, could you move over so I can get by, young man?" Wait for him to respond and pass the little guy.

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. Don't feel alone. A yahoo on a big cruiser popped over the creek on a little bride and ran me into the hand hold rails. I'd crashed a week before and injured my shoulder blade. Well, I fractured it hitting the bridge and it hurt like hell. The guy exclaimed, "You ok?" I'm writhing in pain. "Yes, I'm doing ok!" Visited the ER that evening. The nure gave me some pain killers. "You fractured your collarbone, sir. Maybe you should give up bicycling, now that you're getting up there in years." "I'll give up cycling when they take the bike out of my cold, dead hands!"

Took a corner too fast on my svelt new full Campy DeRosa in '84, two days after purchase. Wham! The front brake caliper dented the downtube under the shift lever, and the handlebar drop dented the top tube. 40,000 miles later the bike fell over on a parking meter at a fast food stop, dented the other side of the top tube. 20,000 after that, picked up a coat hanger in the chain, pulled the derailleur out of the dropout and bent the hanger almost 45 degrees. Well, I bent it back straight, chased the threads and got back on the road. That was 15 years ago.

The bike is still my go fast bike, scars and all. Be proud of those scars. They show grit.

I love to climb!
    Brand new bike, hadn't ridden it, yet. Dropped the battery to the headlight and chipped the paint on the top tube. Not the end of the world on a mountain bike, but still...I figured scars would come from crashes, not fumble fingers.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12