Who's scratched their bike in a really stupid way?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Who's scratched their bike in a really stupid way?

Brand new CAAD10, just three weeks old, and it was mint. Today, I had my multi-tool in my right hand, and without switching hands, grabbed the top tube and carried it down the steps with the same hand, only to realize the tool was putting a small scrape in the paint, basically peeling the thin matte black clearcoat away like a sticker. It's tiny and from more than a foot away, you can't see it, but I know it's there, and man, is it painful to even think about. Considering the cost, I may be looking at that scratch for decades before I can replace the bike. I'll get over it, but man, that first scratch sucks.

Anyone else ever do something really dumb, not even related to normal usage, to nick up their expensive bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Black ... Sharpie
    Red ... Wifey's nail polish

First scratch on brand new bike always hurts, get some sleep, you might forget it happened, well, until you see the scratch again, lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanquiz View Post
    Black ... Sharpie
    Red ... Wifey's nail polish

First scratch on brand new bike always hurts, get some sleep, you might forget it happened, well, until you see the scratch again, lol.
    +1 ^ Excellent Advice!
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    +1 ^ Excellent Advice!
    I've personally found that fingernail polish works wonders on small scratches. For flat paint (especially flat black), just tape off the area surrounding the scratch, and paint Rustoleum flat black onto the scratch with a tiny paintbrush. Tape is needed in order to do it neatly.

Road & Trail Warrior
    My prized road bike is my 2006 Cannondale Six13. It's pristeen for a 7 year old bike. I've never even crashed it. Just 2 weeks ago, I carried it out of the house wearing my clipless shoes. I slip on the the cement steps and drop the bike on its side against the cement porch.
    Huge dent in the left chainstay with peeling paint with exposed aluminum where the dent is along with other scratches. I felt like I lost my first-born. Can't fix the dent, but I'll touch it up with black BBQ paint.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    I guess it's just the way the matte/BBQ paint was done, but the way it came off, it just looks like a piece of a sticker was ground away. I can even see where there's a piece of it hanging loose such that I could probably get my nail under it and peel the razor thin clearcoat off the whole bike. If I were to ever polish it or anything, it would actually get under the edges of the tear, just like a sticker would.

Regular road scratches from rocks I'm okay with because stuff happens, but it's still killing me to scratch it up in such a way.

Lost in Space...
    I use testor's enamels... I don't sand down the new paint, but I rub it a few times with an alcohol saturated paper towel a few days later. The alcohol dulls the gloss if it's a gloss paint but it leaves a nice clean transition after a few tries. If you play around, you can get a decent match.

I always put nicks in my bikes; I think I need a bigger garage! Some chip way more easily than others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Put a smiley face sticker on it.

Every time you see it, you will smile.

1.0x0.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    I shared this on a different thread, but...
    I wanted to get a few shots of my Colnago C50, so I propped the left pedal on a big rock, stepped back a few feet and snapped a shot, just then a breeze comes up and down she goes! Damn! Top tube hits the rock and chips the paint.
    Now here's the really dumb part. I prop the bike back up and step back for another shot, Yup, another breeze and down she goes a second time for a second chip in the paint. This story qualifies as scratching my bike IN A REALLY STUPID WAY.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by quikrick1 View Post
    I wanted to get a few shots of my Colnago C50, so I propped the left pedal on a big rock, stepped back a few feet and snapped a shot, just then a breeze comes up and down she goes! Damn! Top tube hits the rock and chips the paint.
    Now here's the really dumb part. I prop the bike back up and step back for another shot, Yup, another breeze and down she goes a second time for a second chip in the paint. This story qualifies as scratching my bike IN A REALLY STUPID WAY.
    This story is really hilarious!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by AW84 View Post
    Brand new CAAD10, just three weeks old, and it was mint. Today, I had my multi-tool in my right hand, and without switching hands, grabbed the top tube and carried it down the steps with the same hand, only to realize the tool was putting a small scrape in the paint, basically peeling the thin matte black clearcoat away like a sticker. It's tiny and from more than a foot away, you can't see it, but I know it's there, and man, is it painful to even think about. Considering the cost, I may be looking at that scratch for decades before I can replace the bike. I'll get over it, but man, that first scratch sucks.

Anyone else ever do something really dumb, not even related to normal usage, to nick up their expensive bike?
    Titanium frame, no paint. Basically scratch proof. It's in its 15th season with roughly 140,000 miles. Hardly a visible mark on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Riding with my son and fell right over without clipping. He cut me off and I stopped and just went right on over,no attempt to put my feet down at all. One big brain fart I guess.
    2014 Felt F2 w Williams System 45/60 carbon clinchers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Dont feel too bad. ABout a month after I got my Dogma I leaned it against a large bolder when I was taking a break (just the bars and seat). it has zipp 303s and the wind blew the bike over into the grass. very soft landing, not on the RD side. I propped the bike back up and the wind moved the front wheel enough for the bike to fall over the other way into the bolder. It only scratched the rear chainstay so I was lucky but stupid!
    a month ago I was prying one of the bar ends out and the small screw driver I was using slipped off and put a very small scratch in the side of the head tube. No one will ever notice it but it is there.

Now I get to just ride my bike and not worry about it
    Dogma, synapse disc, caad 10, de rosa neo primato, felt CX, epic, fat bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    I you worry about scratches on your bike it means you spent more than you can afford.

VKW
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Had my frame not yet built up sitting in my room against the wall. Got a new bike wheel bag and put it behind the frame and wall to save space. I saw that the bike bag was tipping over and thought for a moment maybe I should move the frame to be a bit more stable but decided it was probably fine. Later in the night, heard a crash had no idea what it was. Finally noticed right before going to bed that the bag weight had cause the frame to tip over....right onto the chain rings of my unassembled crank. Put two big noticeable chips in the silver paint into the white basecoat.

Luckily, I had a project one trek paint card in the same silver paint. Rather than find a non-matching silver paint, I cut out a section of the paint card, sanded it down thinner and clear coated it to the bike to get it to stick. Colors match perfectly so it is harder to see but if you get up close you can notice the raised section it if you know where to look.
    Last edited by VKW; 06-12-2013 at 06:23 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I had my brand new Orbea in the stand back in 2011. I hadn't ridden the bike yet and was still installing my "stuff". I was installing the computer sensor on the fork when I decided I could get the wire ties really tight with a pair of very pointy needle nose pliers. Yep, the pliers slipped and put a nice scratch on the front of the fork. I was sick.
    I disagree with the earlier poster who feels that if you are distressed over scratching your bike you spent more than your can afford. My kids are grown and gone. Now my passions now are my dogs, my bike and my wife. Pay no attention to the order in which they are listed. I care greatly for all of them and wouldn't want any of them damaged.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Marred the paint my girlfriend's new Cannondale with my bike rack on the way home from the shop....

I'm sure I'll be hearing about it for a long while ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Shortly after buying a new bicycle I rode to date a nice lady.
    She was so nice so that she made me dinner to take home on which I got angry (trying not to show it though) because cmon, going 20 kilometers back with that dinner bag in one hand?
    Well, skipping details I somehow attached the bag to the frame and went home just to notice the bag was tough and made nice, beautiful scar on a new, nice frame while riding. I still have this scar - ugly and big and still remembering that lady - so beautiful and nice. The dinner was awesome too.

Road & Trail Warrior
    Thanks for contributing.

We should now just get rid of our bikes.

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    Selle Italia Teknologika Flow Saddle - nice, glossy, new carbon, fancy schmancy. I flip the bike upside down in the train station to take off the wheels. Major scratches.

Since then, I've scratched it many other ways, so no worries. It's just the first one or two that hurt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Take it for a good long ride in the rain, and don't wash it for a couple of weeks afterwards. you'll stop noticing scratches then.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    You might check with the manufacturer for recommendations. The original paint color often is not the best because of difference in the application process and time.

When I contacted the builder of my steel bike, he wrote back that I should get Krylon enamel in red pepper color - a very specific recommendation that I took.

My other bike is unpolished titanium - no paint worries.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And we have a winner!

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    What would be a smart way of scratching your bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    What would be a smart way of scratching your bike?
    While reading an encyclopedia?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast