Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Why donít roadies burn weed like our MTB brethren ?

The disc debate thread got me to thinking, most all mtbrís stop and burn zeppelins every chance they get but us higher educated, culturally refined roadies seem to forgo the devils lettuce.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mtn bikers come in two (well, at least two) forms:
    1. Cyclists who like to ride mtn bikes
    2. Outdoorsy, earthy, campers, hikers, etc... who see the mtn bike as means to further explore the mtns.

Neither is righter than the other, but one group is much more in tune with nature.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Some local cat 2/pro riders here locally like to burn/ingest for looong road rides...
    Last edited by rideit; 09-07-2018 at 12:32 PM.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    The disc debate thread got me to thinking, most all mtbrís stop and burn zeppelins ...
    Nope.

I've been on the trails for decades, and even hit some early MTBR gatherings. The idea that most people out there are sparking while riding is just not even in the realm of believability. I've seen it, I've smelled it, but rarely, certainly on less than 5% of my rides. And this includes Colorado and California before and after legalization.

I have seen it on 100% of rides with one particular person, who I have not ridden with in years.

As to why there seems to be more use on the trail, there are many reasons (such as the mentioned "explore" motivation). One big one is stops. When I ride the road in a group, I don't expect to stop for the entire ride. On the trail I expect to stop at the top of climbs to regroup, or when there is a mechanical, or just to play on some stuff that looks good to people. More stops, more chances to burn. Road tends to be a couple hour thing, mtb in a group tends to be an all day thing, with food after usually.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

a real member's member
    i live by the mantra, "smoke 'em if ya got 'em."
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    All those cars make me paranoid. Trees, not so much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Back when I was still imbibing alcohol was my drug of choice.
    Too old to ride plastic

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Back when I was still imbibing alcohol was my drug of choice.
    It is much more difficult to ride a bike efficiently while drunk in comparison to being high.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    ^^^^^^^Exactly what I was thinking.^^^^^^^^^^

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Nope.

I've been on the trails for decades, and even hit some early MTBR gatherings. The idea that most people out there are sparking while riding is just not even in the realm of believability. I've seen it, I've smelled it, but rarely, certainly on less than 5% of my rides. And this includes Colorado and California before and after legalization.

I have seen it on 100% of rides with one particular person, who I have not ridden with in years.

As to why there seems to be more use on the trail, there are many reasons (such as the mentioned "explore" motivation). One big one is stops. When I ride the road in a group, I don't expect to stop for the entire ride. On the trail I expect to stop at the top of climbs to regroup, or when there is a mechanical, or just to play on some stuff that looks good to people. More stops, more chances to burn. Road tends to be a couple hour thing, mtb in a group tends to be an all day thing, with food after usually.
    Pretty much. I rarely see safety stops while riding except with a few certain people. And they are usually those who imbibe while doing pretty much anything.

You can also factor in that at least here in Colorado, many people are way past smoking, especially when not at home. Edibles and vaporizers are more popular in the active set.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I suspect that roadies are more health conscious that their MTB brethren.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    I suspect that roadies are more health conscious that their MTB brethren.
    Uh huh...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    The disc debate thread got me to thinking, most all mtbrís stop and burn zeppelins every chance they get but us higher educated, culturally refined roadies seem to forgo the devils lettuce.
    I think you just hit upon the next anti-drug campaign, calling it the Devil's Kale. No kid would ever touch the stuff if that name stuck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Cause weed reduces the effectiveness of all the EPO, growth hormone and testosterone we take. Duh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    I think you just hit upon the next anti-drug campaign, calling it the Devil's Kale. No kid would ever touch the stuff if that name stuck.
    Yeah, but to middle aged guys with emerging guts, lettuce is low fat. So there is that. Kale would be masochistic on a bike ride, I would think.

After watching Sanjay Gupta's excellent docs, the term "cannabis" covers it all. Gupta says cannabis restores nerve connections in the brain that have been destroyed by opioids. For a few users interviewed, it was the magic key that got them off opioids. Nothing else worked. They always wanted to go back on opioids to feel normal. Only with pot did they lose their cravings. They literally pulled their lives back together as the brain cells re-connected. Weed lessened the pain not by deadening the nerve endings, but by relaxing the body and affecting attitude, a major cause of chronic pain the older you get!

Old age is a great time to get stoned. Primary daily responsibility is going out for food. Everything else is your time to do whatever you want. Good to know the plant that will enhance the experience is gaining the status of fine wines or cigars. Alcohol and nicotine are so 20th century!

RoadBikeReview Member
    That sure depends on the trail. I gave up mountain biking hitting a big rock hidden in weeds. Almost broke my teeth out. How do you avoid the gnarly tree roots, rabbits, and snakes? Went back to the roads where I can see where I'm going.

To hell with the cars. Most bike-car accidents are at intersections. Very few cyclists get hit from behind statistically. The speed differentials are low. Motorist has plenty of time to plan his move.

If its good weed, I see your point. Paranoia would increase the more crowded the road, not a great place to contemplate the wonders of nature.

Proud luddite
    We get in trouble with our HOA if we burn our weeds. Weíre supposed to put them in yard waste bags instead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Yet...
    -tree-monster-elisia-cosentino.jpg

-8266779097_2de4c98f04_b.jpg

-tga-7050ph-1107-1_10.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great photos on the subjective nature of reality!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    And after a hit of weed, they would become more subjective.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Weed isn't exactly a performance enhancing drug.
    Ghurarmu shirkushí agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. GŻl-ní anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I can see I'll be doing a little more MBiking in the future. I... a.... think it's better for base miles.

and we don't see too many 'trees' around here, mostly rocks, they are more 'object'ive.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    -kale.png

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    And after a hit of weed, they would become more subjective.
    That depends entirely on the mental baggage user brought to the table. . Generally speaking from a couple of the guys I used to ride with, situational awareness is enhanced rather than reduced; rider is less susceptible to making the wrong decisions than if he were straight. .

The obvious downside is the smoke and tar in the lungs. Edibles take care of that, but have to be digested in the gut, which takes much longer, and if one takes too large a dose, will surely distract from situational awareness and possibly ruin the ride.

The 2 puffs one takes on the doob before kicking off or in the mid-course break, quickly gets expelled from the lungs. Its what rider smokes later that night that'll screw up his lungs. Research still hasn't definitively answered: how much? But no question smoking the stuff isn't going to improve VO2 max, as much as great THC might get one to believe otherwise.

TDF riders used to say the same about the high nicotine Gaulois cigarettes they smoked mid-ride to get stoked for the finish. They probably died of lung cancer in old age, too, unless they gave it up. Yes, Sauron is right on. You pay for what you get.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    and we don't see too many 'trees' around here, mostly rocks, they are more 'object'ive.
    So far...

-jmtmonster.jpg

-5f9b5197-ec8c-4845-94fe-4408c290a86d-banner.jpg

-spooky-rock-near-lake-cumberland.jpg

-grand-staircase-escalante-spooky-rock-formation-715.jpg (Jabba the Hutt?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast