Wilier Izoard on the way!
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

Wilier Izoard on the way!

I just pulled the trigger on an Izoard with the Rival group from competitive cyclist. I must say, I feel like a kid on Christmas. Well, not yet. That will come when it arrives. Competitive was fantastic to work with. I recommend them completely.

I know some of you may say that its disgraceful to put anything other than Campy on a wilier, but dollar for dollar you can't beat the '09 Rival group. I'd love to throw on record, but dont quite have the pockets for that and even if I wanted to the lady might murder me in my sleep (although she doesnt know the price of any of it. "so how much is this all going to cost?"...."about $1500" Ha!). Plus, I told myself that I can always upgrade components and am increasingly becoming partial to SRAM although I've only put fairly extensive time on Shimano.

Anyways, as soon as it gets here and I throw on my wheels I'll post pics!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    very nice. i have campy but wish i would have bought red. very nice ride, i agree that the competitive cyclist folks run a good outfit. they are my LBS..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Well, here it is! I just finished putting it all together, but have yet to get out and ride it! It's raining where I am now and is supposed to be for the next week.

Specs:

Full Rival group
    Neuvation R28s
    Michelin Lithion Tires
    Specialized Toupe Gel Seat
    3T Pro Stem
    FSA Omega Compact Bars
    FSA SLK Carbon Seatpost
    Ultegra Pedals

I tried to keep it as economic as possible so made some trade offs but overall couldnt be happier and I'm sure will be much happier once I get out to ride!

Enjoy and let me know what you think!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wsrobert; 05-05-2009 at 06:57 PM.

the fist
    looks like good fun...i like the paint job.
    get a set of these for those rival shifters: http://www.treefortbikes.com/209_333...-Bar-Tape.html
    I have a set of white on mine.
    FlexiSexual

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I've actually thought about white hoods, but am more interested in just picking up some red bar ends to bring in some of the red to the front of the bike.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is a beautiful bike! I love the look of the WIliers. Nice job!!!!

the fist
    Quote Originally Posted by wsrobert
    I've actually thought about white hoods, but am more interested in just picking up some red bar ends to bring in some of the red to the front of the bike.

Thanks for the suggestion though!
    Probably doesn't help, but the hoods and tape come with red bar ends.
    FlexiSexual

Broken Legs Suck
    Very nice!

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    That bike looks SWEET! Give us a proper ride report once you have a chance, since, well you know, it could very well be a nice-looking bike that rides like crap. LOL!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    So, I feel like my legs got stronger over night. Pedaling appeared effortless in comparison to my old bike (Bianchi Via Nirone). I only got about 15 miles in because the rain was coming and I wasnt about to get caught out in some nasty weather on my maiden ride. I stopped twice to make a few minor adjustments, but over all it is just a night and day difference. Acceleration was incredibly faster and it just seemed to float once it got up to speed. It responded as it should in the few corners I was able to take at speed...very solid and responsive. The ride in general is just far and away better. The road feel, the way it feels while going over bumps or cracks its just crazy. I was smiling the entire time and quite astonished. I mean, it was everything I was hoping for. Now, I dont have crazy amounts of experience with dozens of different frames, but I spent 2 years on an all aluminum, not quite a year on a mixed carbon/aluminum and rode four different carbon frames before deciding on the Wilier and its just amazing.

Also, the rival group IMHO smashes Ultegra. I had read things about it being "noisier" and more "mechanical" and "not as smooth" and for the most part thats all true, but I dig it. It sounds like its working and I can hear it working. With the weight and cost savings, its a total no brainer for me. And, the shifting really is genius. It took me about 2 seconds to get used to it, but now it just makes sense.

Oh, and a note about the Neuvation wheels. Silent, dead silent. It was almost weird. They make absolutely no noise. Different from most wheels, but again I really like it.

I'll report back again when I've put more miles on and see if I'm still on cloud 9.

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Sounds like my first ride on my Damocles last year. Donít worry, the novelty doesnít wear off!