Will road bike easily fit inside ‘13 Avalon? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Most people don't want to dismantle their bike to the extent of putting into one of those cases. If you're doing more than removing the front wheel every time you drive to a club ride, it's a royal PITA.

Get a hatchback, wagon or SUV.
    Porsche. There is no substitute.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Car? YDNNSC! I put mine on the bmw. ... moto!
    BANNED

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    Porsche. There is no substitute.

Yea but the rear wheel is removed.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yea but the rear wheel is removed.
    Yeah, but this person gets an "A" for commitment, and providing a possible alternative...plus "baller move".

But if its necessary to use a car to take a bike to a ride's starting point, the effort required to install two quick release bike wheels shouldn't be an "issue"...IMHO.

That said, FWIW, I have no problem getting a 48s Colnago C60 in the back seat of my '13 Jetta, with only front wheel removed. Nor said bike, along with a 56cm standard geo steel frame in the trunk. However both bikes' wheels were removed.

I could barely get the C60 in the back seat if an M2 with just the front wheel removed...trouble was the transmission tunnel, and back of center console which made it tight. Found that out by taking bike to dealer and salesman allowing a test fit, echoing what was stated in earlier post.

The Cayman is also an option:

Last edited by colnagoG60; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:20 AM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagoG60 View Post
    But if its necessary to use a car to take a bike to a ride's starting point, the effort required to install two quick release bike wheels shouldn't be an "issue"...IMHO.
    Not an issue if you're doing it occasionally. But if you're doing it frequently it's a real PITA. Removing the rear wheel means you have to take extra care to keep the chain from getting grease all over your car. And the rear derailleur is more susceptible to getting banged.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Makes you wonder: what do mobsters drive these days? You can't do that with a Prius
    I remember traveling up to Ann Arbor MI once to meet with EPA fuel economy experts. I rented a Chrysler 300 with the V8. I could have gotten at least two of those EPA guys in the trunk. Three if I used a chain saw, but that's such a mess.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Not an issue if you're doing it occasionally. But if you're doing it frequently it's a real PITA. Removing the rear wheel means you have to take extra care to keep the chain from getting grease all over your car. And the rear derailleur is more susceptible to getting banged.
    Completely agree. I drive to a parking lot when I commute every day, so I get my bike in and out of the car a lot. With most bikes these days having lawyer tabs on the fork, even taking the front wheel off is a PITA. Having to remove both wheels would really suck. And if I did own a Porsche, I wouldn't put a greasy bike in it. If the OP really wants that Avalon, he should consider a roof rack.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Completely agree. I drive to a parking lot when I commute every day, so I get my bike in and out of the car a lot. With most bikes these days having lawyer tabs on the fork, even taking the front wheel off is a PITA. Having to remove both wheels would really suck. And if I did own a Porsche, I wouldn't put a greasy bike in it. If the OP really wants that Avalon, he should consider a roof rack.
    Forget the sedans and get one of these:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...st-hatchbacks/
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Most of those cars are going to require removing the front wheel. And there's only room for one bike, unless you pile them on top of one another. Hard to beat a minivan if you're going to be hauling a bike (or bikes) around a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Most of those cars are going to require removing the front wheel. And there's only room for one bike, unless you pile them on top of one another. Hard to beat a minivan if you're going to be hauling a bike (or bikes) around a lot.
    my 'hot hatch' holds two bikes with front wheels removed. have a mover's blanket that eliminates any bike-bike contact. loading takes 2 minutes.

I'd give up cycling before I'd drive a mini-van...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    I'd give up cycling before I'd drive a mini-van...
    Meh, they're handy with little kids. You get used to them. I never had to figure out how to fold up the stroller. It would take a lot more than what car I have to drive to make me give up cycling. I put more miles on my bikes than my car.

And its hard to beat opening the hatch, rolling two bikes in and closing the hatch. No wheels to remove, no moving blankets to screw around with. But like I said above, they don't come with any styling points -- not that I care about that at this point in my life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I hadn't realized there were that many hatchback options on the market. I prefer that option over a "same as everyone else SUV". I have a Fit now. Its great for transporting bikes and cheap to own, but its not for those that value performance and luxury

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    My girlfriend literally said "eww, you drive a minivan?' when we first met.

For someone who hates them as much as she does, she sure does borrow it a lot.

I can fit three 61cm/XL bikes inside if I need to.

Best part? It cost me $12k (was a 1 year old rental return). I paid cash and have lots of money for bikes to put inside

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm amazed no one has referred to this yet.

https://youtu.be/hVbHijaOpuI

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I kept mine installed during riding season, when I was bringing bike to work:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12