Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Your post assumes the rider won't instantly disable such limiting equipment after purchase...which is a very very funny assumption.
    In some cities like NY, e-bikes with a throttle are illegal, but e-assist bikes are OK. Granted the messengers use e-bikes all the time including on sidewalks and the laws are never enforced.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Banned forever.....or not
    I was under the impression that e-bike motors in the U.S. are limited to 30 kph before the motor stops assisting you. Anything over that has to be provided by your legs propelling a 30+ pound bike. There are things out there that will go faster than 25 mph, but they aren't bicycles.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Their rear wheels will be highly coveted just like tandems rear wheels are on the flats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Your post assumes the rider won't instantly disable such limiting equipment after purchase...which is a very very funny assumption.
    I don't think you understand how some of them work. The only way to get the assist to kick in is to turn the pedals. There is nothing to be disabled that would make getting assist without turning the pedals possible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Not a problem for me. I want more people to ride bikes whether assisted or not. My thinking is more people on bikes will in general increase advocacy and awareness for everything bicycle related. This is good for everyone imho.

Specifically for group rides which I do 2 to 3 each week...again not a problem. I train to race but, love the social and competitive aspect of the group rides I do. In many ways they push me further than what I can do in my own training. I want more people to race. If this gets more people out and involved maybe some will get the bug to be competitive.

Obviously, there are always exceptions. I'm seeing more hybrid type ebikes out there lately. They look like a shared bike you see in many big cities these days. Those riders have no business on the group rides I do and I'm positive they have no desire to a part of what we do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I am bad at formatting posts on this board

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Absolutely. If another cyclist wants to come on the group ride they are welcome. Why wouldn't I want more people riding bikes in my group? It doesn't affect me if they climb the hill with assist or not.

If they don't ride with the group, drop people on the hills, or aren't willing to wait at the top, then I wouldn'tn invite them back, but that wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that they had pedal assist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    Why wouldn't I want more people riding bikes in my group?
    that's a different topic all together, but you really can't imagine why someone would want to limit the size of a group?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    I was under the impression that e-bike motors in the U.S. are limited to 30 kph before the motor stops assisting you. Anything over that has to be provided by your legs propelling a 30+ pound bike. There are things out there that will go faster than 25 mph, but they aren't bicycles.
    From the Giant website:

"In Europe, an E-bike can have a maximum power of 250 watts, assisting the E-Bike to a maximum speed of 25 km/h. In the U.S., the rules are different. There, E-bike motors can have a maximum of 500 watts and assist up to 20 mph (32km/h)

There are also E-bikes that support up to 45km/h (28 mph). These are referred to as pedelecs."

Giant's Road-E+, their most "roadie" e-bike is in the 28 mph category.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    Why wouldn't I want more people riding bikes in my group?
    Why WOULD you? IMHO, 5 is company, 10 is a crowd. More is not merrier.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    No way would I ever let that happen! But mainly because I ride alone and not in a group.
    Like George Thorogood's approach to drinking, when I ride alone I prefer to be by myself.

Back to the original question: Ebike in a group ride? Insert frame pump "A" into spokes "B" of ebike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    From the Giant website:

"In Europe, an E-bike can have a maximum power of 250 watts, assisting the E-Bike to a maximum speed of 25 km/h. In the U.S., the rules are different. There, E-bike motors can have a maximum of 500 watts and assist up to 20 mph (32km/h)

There are also E-bikes that support up to 45km/h (28 mph). These are referred to as pedelecs."

Giant's Road-E+, their most "roadie" e-bike is in the 28 mph category.
    In the EU it's 250w nominal which peaks @700w, and it kicks out at 15.5 mph. In the US, it's 750w nominal and 20 or 28 mph depending on the class, throttles or not is your choice.

Ebike on a group ride? Who cares if they can ride in a paceline. Send them to the front on the windy days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It depends...

- if it's a "fast day" training ride, then No.
    - if it's a more casual pace ride, then No.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you bring a motor to the ride, then you are on the nose ALL DAY LONG.

No way am I cool with letting a motor into my hard earned draft.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    It depends...

- if it's a "fast day" training ride, then No.
    - if it's a more casual pace ride, then No.
    If a really strong rider on a regular road bike showed up at your group ride, would you also say no?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    No way am I cool with letting a motor into my hard earned draft.
    Can you tell the difference between a regular road bike and an e-bike when they're behind you?

Pooped a refrigerator.
    I say let them come, but have some fun with them. Make note of the e-bike model that rider has and look up its max range online. Then plan the next ride to meet or exceed that range on a very hilly course and preferably a cooler day. Then watch them try to pedal their boat anchor uphill after the battery dies well before the end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    I say let them come, but have some fun with them. Make note of the e-bike model that rider has and look up its max range online. Then plan the next ride to meet or exceed that range on a very hilly course and preferably a cooler day. Then watch them try to pedal their boat anchor uphill after the battery dies well before the end.
    It's not that simple. The range of an e-bike depends on how much "boost" is used. The guy I ride with routinely rides 60+ miles at 20+ mph in groups (and solo) and he still has battery left at the end. He's got a lot of matches to burn ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    When they start pulling away at 21MPH+ without pedaling I call the cops. Unlicensed and unregistered motor vehicles are illegal.

Many mopeds are advertised as 28MPH capable on motor power. Funny how calling a moped an "ebike" suddenly makes a moped desirable. All about branding.
    Interesting timing of this thread.. This just posted earlier today.
    https://vitals.lifehacker.com/should...ike-1829596904

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    It's not that simple. The range of an e-bike depends on how much "boost" is used. The guy I ride with routinely rides 60+ miles at 20+ mph in groups (and solo) and he still has battery left at the end. He's got a lot of matches to burn ...
    yeah, I rented one in Portugal where it was as hilly as I can imagine anywhere on earth being and managed to keep it charged all day without too much trouble. The do wear down pretty fast if you get lazy but any reasonably fit cyclist should have no problem contributing enough to keep it charged.

I did see a few tourists walking up hills pushing them though. Presumably they got to lazy or were not reasonably fit enough not to lose the charge.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    That wouldn't really work. They don't give the range, they give the watt-hour rating. And you'd have no idea how much the rider is using the battery. Obviously they wouldn't be running it constantly.

The bike in the OP has a 250watt-hour battery. On a 5 hour ride, he could use it @ 100w boost for one minute, 30 times per hour. That would allow anyone with mediocre fitness keep up quite well for 100mi.
    And that battery is expandable to 750watt-hour!
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Only if it had a built in speaker that made engine noises.
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I'm showing up for the next ride on my kawa!
    Eat Dirt S*heads!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    Thoughts? Will we all have to buy ebikes someday just to keep things even? I hope not
    Keeping things "even" is for races. If ebikes are going to be racing they should be in their own class.

Otherwise, someone riding an ebike doesn't impact how rewarded I feel about my own riding. Perhaps I'll only be able to talk to the ebiker about the scenery rather than how hard a climb was.

It would be like me getting upset at my coworker when he passed me in his car during my morning bike commute.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Only if it had a built in speaker that made engine noises.
    When I was a kid I had a Tony the Tiger mounted on my Schwinn Stingray that made roaring sounds when you turned the crank. Would that work?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast