RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

wireless electronic shifting

is it coming anytime soon?

Menace to Society
    May 2009
    electronic but not wireless

banned
    Mavic had wireless with Mektronic. But that was then, this is now. Just Di2 and potentially Campy in the future. Cables work fine.

Just Plain Bitter
    Mektronic was actually pretty cool. The world was just not ready for it back then. I don't see wireless coming anytime soon. I could just see that in the peloton at 2.4Ghz and every time you shift a garage door opens or the other guys bike shifts. Discreet signaling would be a ***** in those tight quarters I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

not wireless not cheap, I friend has one of these in his

Just Plain Bitter
    One of these?

TCR Advanced SL Limited W/ Di2
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

yep he is the rep for Giant here and a friend of mine

Quote Originally Posted by rward325
    One of these?

TCR Advanced SL Limited W/ Di2
    rides with him and that is the bike he has in his garage, and no I won't tell you where he lives.

RoadBikeReview Member
    soon? its already here. how many thousands you got to spend?
    Not banned yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002

Rep *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by rward325
    Discreet signaling would be a ***** in those tight quarters I think.
    Accidental interference could be avoided easily by sending a coded prefix, the command and a CRC. But intentional interference by someone who wants to cause trouble could be a real problem. Even Keeloq can be hacked.

Shop Wrench
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs
    rides with him and that is the bike he has in his garage, and no I won't tell you where he lives.
    Electronic, yes. Wireless, no.

Wisely Inconsistent
    Wireless would require more than one battery pack, which would mean added complexity and weight.

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by hobgoblin
    Wireless would require more than one battery pack, which would mean added complexity and weight.

ding, ding, ding...... we have a winner.

wireless would dictate one shifting mechanism transmitting to a receiver for the FD (batteries on both ends of that transaction), and another for the RD. So -- at least three more batteries than the existing electronic system. The wires in the current system not only carry the control signals, but distribute power. Without those wires, the system gets bulky, cumbersome and heavy in a hurry.

The issue of interference is yet another can of worms....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Wireless technology is so old on a bike. I am waiting for nuclear powered bikes. It should come optional nitro. When you get dropped hit a button and you are back with the pack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I rode with Mektronic for a few years. Absolutely loved it. Best shifting I've ever experienced. As far as more batteries are concerned, they were CR2021 watch batteries that weighed almost nothing, and lasted a long, long time. The movement of the chain through the derailleur provided the motive force for shifting, so it was not a large power draw.

Unfortunately, the deraillerur housing cracked in a crash. It still worked perfectly, but every time I rode in the rain, the battery would short and die quickly. So, it cost me $3 to ride in the rain every time. I got tired of that, and switched to a conventional 9 speed DA derailleur. The Mavic Mektronic brake levers are the most comfortable l have ever tried, so in order to keep them, I went to bar-end shifters.

If I could find another Mektronic set for a reasonable price, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

PS: The front derailleur was not wireless / battery operated. It was a lever on the left brake lever that worked well, but not as comfortable as a bar-end shifter. But who needs a front derailleur anyway?

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig
    ding, ding, ding...... we have a winner.

wireless would dictate one shifting mechanism transmitting to a receiver for the FD (batteries on both ends of that transaction), and another for the RD. So -- at least three more batteries than the existing electronic system. The wires in the current system not only carry the control signals, but distribute power. Without those wires, the system gets bulky, cumbersome and heavy in a hurry.

The issue of interference is yet another can of worms....
    Weight is definitely not an issue. Not when you've got teams ADDING weight to their bikes to get UP to the UCI limit. Interference is not an issue either. The technology is here to fix any possible interference problem. Intentional hacking, now that could be a real concern.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson