RoadBikeReview Member

The World Hour Record

… on a Penny Farthing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    … on a Penny Farthing.

Didn't know Obree was so small. Simon is 6'1" or my height.
    It was funny to see Simon so out of his element as an ex pro racer. He is my favorite GCN presenter...a brother from a different mother...fantastic guy and ambassador to the sport of cycling.

Great video. Thanks so much for sharing that.

I love to climb!
    That was quite entertaining

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Didn't know Obree was so small.
    Not small. 5'10+", 160 lb.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Not small. 5'10+", 160 lb.
    Small compared to Simon or me. I have ridden at Simon's exact size and body weight which is about 165 lbs or so if that. Too skinny IMO.
    I prefer to be 185 ish or so with stronger upper body. Simon can push big watts for long duration however as can many ex pro riders.

I have always been intrigued by Simon since he came on the scene. Partly how he looks and how he rides and in particular his size. We are exactly the same dimensions vertically and ride the same saddle height at 77cm.

Our personalities are not dissimilar either. I am a more sandy haired version of Simon. Love the guy.

He rides more of a contemporary race fit. Shorter bike with more drop aka smaller size. I ride more old school aka Lance fit, more out and up. Sometimes however I move my fit closer to Simon's. Of course he looks great on the bike and is encyclopedic about fit and we are the same body size although I am deliberately a little beefier in upper body because I am more of a tri build and do a lot of swimming and intervals in the water in addition to cycling.

Simon rocks the house.

His fit explained. Very weird to see him on the Penny Farthing which made him look like a complete rookie...duck out of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXG52MDlkvQ
    Last edited by 11spd; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:25 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Small compared to Simon or me. I have ridden at Simon's exact size and body weight which is about 165 lbs or so if that. Too skinny IMO.
    I prefer to be 185 ish or so with stronger upper body. Simon can push big watts for long duration however as can many ex pro riders.

I have always been intrigued by Simon since he came on the scene. Partly how he looks and how he rides and in particular his size. We are exactly the same dimensions vertically and ride the same saddle height at 77cm.

Our personalities are not dissimilar either. I am a more sandy haired version of Simon. Love the guy.

He rides more of a contemporary race fit. Shorter bike with more drop aka smaller size. I ride more old school aka Lance fit, more out and up. Sometimes however I move my fit closer to Simon's. Of course he looks great on the bike and is encyclopedic about fit and we are the same body size although I am deliberately a little beefier in upper body because I am more of a tri build and do a lot of swimming and intervals in the water in addition to cycling.

Simon rocks the house.

His fit explained. Very weird to see him on the Penny Farthing which made him look like a complete rookie...duck out of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXG52MDlkvQ
    I like the guy as well. Super surprised he stated he thinks he is 1 to 2 Km/hr faster on an "aero" bike though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    I like the guy as well. Super surprised he stated he thinks he is 1 to 2 Km/hr faster on an "aero" bike though.
    Most claim a 1 km/hr increase in speed as a general rule for aero versus non aero lightweight bike.

GCN does a comparison between the two. General consensus is, if riding mostly on the flat and road isn't too rough, aero is the way to go for 'pure speed'. But if climbing is in the mix or even riding in packs a lot or alone and not against the clock, an 'all arounder' road bike like a Tarmac, TCR, Emonda etc, maybe overall more enjoyable to ride...fractionally lighter and slightly better ride quality.

GCN aero versus lightweight roadbike:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlz52XW6CMM&t=273s

Here is an interesting comparison of what the 'pros' choose. Not cut and dried by any means. Feel is still part of the equation all said.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmJpHQsITTs

Lastly, contrast Simon and Dan's personality. Simon is more playful, snarky and more of a smart a$$. I like that. He's entertaining and fun loving. Dan is more traditional English...dry and more staid. Nice guy, but Simon is more fun.
    Also, my money is on Simon as the strongest ex-pro GCN rider, though Dan is a stronger rider than Matt was who sadly just left the show...hellofa nice guy Matt was. Simon can flat ride. Not a strong sprinter however. Me either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Small compared to Simon...
    Very similar in size, actually.

Graeme: 180 cm, 73 kg
    Simon: 184 cm, 75 kg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Very similar in size, actually.

Graeme: 180 cm, 73 kg
    Simon: 184 cm, 75 kg
    yeah and Sagan and Cavendish are the same size too. In fact, everybody in the pro peloton is the same size and they all ride the same size bike...lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Most claim a 1 km/hr increase in speed as a general rule for aero versus non aero lightweight bike.

GCN does a comparison between the two. General consensus is, if riding mostly on the flat and road isn't too rough, aero is the way to go for 'pure speed'. But if climbing is in the mix or even riding in packs a lot or alone and not against the clock, an 'all arounder' road bike like a Tarmac, TCR, Emonda etc, maybe overall more enjoyable to ride...fractionally lighter and slightly better ride quality.

GCN aero versus lightweight roadbike:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlz52XW6CMM&t=273s

Here is an interesting comparison of what the 'pros' choose. Not cut and dried by any means. Feel is still part of the equation all said.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmJpHQsITTs

Lastly, contrast Simon and Dan's personality. Simon is more playful, snarky and more of a smart a$$. I like that. He's entertaining and fun loving. Dan is more traditional English...dry and more staid. Nice guy, but Simon is more fun.
    Also, my money is on Simon as the strongest ex-pro GCN rider, though Dan is a stronger rider than Matt was who sadly just left the show...hellofa nice guy Matt was. Simon can flat ride. Not a strong sprinter however. Me either.
    Yeah I got super caught up in the aero bike movement when the S5 and Felt AR were sort of new. I remember reading the Cervelo White papers and the 30W over a standard road bike really messed with my head. 30W is an insane amount of power in the context of riding at ones FTP and I felt like I was going to get left behind if I didn't jump on the aero train. At the time I was riding a Felt F and bought an AR. Built them up identically and even swapped wheels and went so far as moved the Quarq and cranks back and forth to isolate the PM error. After about a year, at best in a straight line, all I could come up with was maybe a couple tenths of a MPH advantage to the AR. Certainly much less than 10W for me. 1-2Km/hr would equal roughly 25-45W. The only way I could see that difference at FTP in my two bikes was riding one with hands on the tops and the other being as aero as I could become (hands on hoods with forearms resting on the tops/parallel to relative wind).

All that ^^^ doesn't mean sh!t to anyone but, to me it was obvious that whatever the manufacturers were seeing in the wind tunnel was not easily observable in the real world. Further, the handling of the F was better (IMO) than the AR enough so that I sold the AR. Again, none of this matters but, when you think of these savings in terms of watts saved or the ability to go faster with the same watts I just don't believe it. If true why wouldn't every rider be on an aero bike is the way I look at it. To be fair this was 2014. Perhaps aero bikes have advanced a bit since then.

The new Spanish GCN guy crushes Simon climbing and is def the strongest in that discipline. Rolling and flats Simon is badass for sure. Enjoy Simon and Dan more than the new guys. Very likable and down to Earth approachable. I'm sure they would be a blast to ride with!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah I got super caught up in the aero bike movement when the S5 and Felt AR were sort of new. I remember reading the Cervelo White papers and the 30W over a standard road bike really messed with my head. 30W is an insane amount of power in the context of riding at ones FTP and I felt like I was going to get left behind if I didn't jump on the aero train. At the time I was riding a Felt F and bought an AR. Built them up identically and even swapped wheels and went so far as moved the Quarq and cranks back and forth to isolate the PM error. After about a year, at best in a straight line, all I could come up with was maybe a couple tenths of a MPH advantage to the AR. Certainly much less than 10W for me. 1-2Km/hr would equal roughly 25-45W. The only way I could see that difference at FTP in my two bikes was riding one with hands on the tops and the other being as aero as I could become (hands on hoods with forearms resting on the tops/parallel to relative wind).

All that ^^^ doesn't mean sh!t to anyone but, to me it was obvious that whatever the manufacturers were seeing in the wind tunnel was not easily observable in the real world. Further, the handling of the F was better (IMO) than the AR enough so that I sold the AR. Again, none of this matters but, when you think of these savings in terms of watts saved or the ability to go faster with the same watts I just don't believe it. If true why wouldn't every rider be on an aero bike is the way I look at it. To be fair this was 2014. Perhaps aero bikes have advanced a bit since then.

The new Spanish GCN guy crushes Simon climbing and is def the strongest in that discipline. Rolling and flats Simon is badass for sure. Enjoy Simon and Dan more than the new guys. Very likable and down to Earth approachable. I'm sure they would be a blast to ride with!
    Good post Woody. I never jumped on the aero bandwagon personally. No deep section wheels for me either. I do prefer a light bike however...17lbs in XL.
    I would say of all the fastest guys I ride with half and half are on aero versus light carbon bikes.

Biggest thing I have learned is riding position is king. Want to ride fast? Have to get the body out of the wind. Harder with age but still try to get flat when pulling in front of the paceline to conserve energy for the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Good post Woody. I never jumped on the aero bandwagon personally. No deep section wheels for me either. I do prefer a light bike however...17lbs in XL.
    I would say of all the fastest guys I ride with half and half are on aero versus light carbon bikes.

Biggest thing I have learned is riding position is king. Want to ride fast? Have to get the body out of the wind. Harder with age but still try to get flat when pulling in front of the paceline to conserve energy for the ride.
    +1 on position for sure.

Regarding wheels, I've found (everything else equal) internal rim width is more important than depth. There are some really outstanding aluminum wheel sets out there that probably perform every bit as carbon. The deep wheels matter (more) to me for strict time trial efforts. But, even then when you really cut through the bullsh!t a deep set compared to a shallow set will probably not make a noticeable difference in speed. For example, all the crazy BS morons like myself go through to increase our average speed xx amount for a 40k is fractions of seconds/km to maybe 1 s/km. Nothing you'd notice at any given slice of time but, 1 s/km (40)=40 seconds faster. I guess what I'm getting at is, besides looks, if you really aren't into thinking about fractions of seconds/km I just don't understand why many would want a deep set of carbon hoops. And then why buy a deep set or shallow set with a narrow internal width? Crazy.

Funny, I'm into all this stuff and yet just last week I rode the shootout with guys like Josh Berry. What's ultimately important (beyond position/fit) is training specificity, quality and volume. All the latest carbon, aero, dimpled this and textured lightweight tech makes little difference when getting dropped. Obviously, I'll never come close to guys like Josh and maybe the tech keeps me in contact a few seconds longer etc...but, like position, more time on the bike will crush tech 24/7 365. I support tech but, find guys who think it will make them into something they are not annoying. Not you...just a general comment as I lay here trashed after a tough week of getting dropped.

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 on position for sure.

Regarding wheels, I've found (everything else equal) internal rim width is more important than depth. There are some really outstanding aluminum wheel sets out there that probably perform every bit as carbon. The deep wheels matter (more) to me for strict time trial efforts. But, even then when you really cut through the bullsh!t a deep set compared to a shallow set will probably not make a noticeable difference in speed. For example, all the crazy BS morons like myself go through to increase our average speed xx amount for a 40k is fractions of seconds/km to maybe 1 s/km. Nothing you'd notice at any given slice of time but, 1 s/km (40)=40 seconds faster. I guess what I'm getting at is, besides looks, if you really aren't into thinking about fractions of seconds/km I just don't understand why many would want a deep set of carbon hoops. And then why buy a deep set or shallow set with a narrow internal width? Crazy.

Funny, I'm into all this stuff and yet just last week I rode the shootout with guys like Josh Berry. What's ultimately important (beyond position/fit) is training specificity, quality and volume. All the latest carbon, aero, dimpled this and textured lightweight tech makes little difference when getting dropped. Obviously, I'll never come close to guys like Josh and maybe the tech keeps me in contact a few seconds longer etc...but, like position, more time on the bike will crush tech 24/7 365. I support tech but, find guys who think it will make them into something they are not annoying. Not you...just a general comment as I lay here trashed after a tough week of getting dropped.
    Humbling sport. Throw yourself into to the deep end and lots of fast swimming fish.
    One of the strongest guys that dropped me a couple of years ago, I will never forget.
    Its a bit of a long story but I was out for a 60 mile ride and about 25 of it was a fast group ride. I am riding along and this guy on a bright yellow Al DeRosa bike comes onto my wheel and pulls up next to me and we struck up a conversation riding along at 18-20mph or so. Nicest guy in the world. He asked me where I was going and I said I was riding out to participate in a group ride around a lake with some hills...nice ride. He asked to go and I said sure. We get there early and had just ridden about 20 miles or so...and he said what time does the ride start? We said in about 30 minutes so he asks to do a lap around the lake and we said sure. The guy did the lap freakishly fast. So we start out on the ride and the guy just wants to push the pace. He was a monster. We tried like to hell to stay with the guy but he just rode us off his wheel. The guy was such a freak. He said routinely he would grab a bunch of food and head out the door and he didn't have a ride plan in mind. He would train with ironman friends and look down at mile 80 and said he would ride 40 more trying to drop the other guys. He routinely rode back to back 100 mile days.

I just couldn't stay with the guy over the long haul. But will never forget him. Old Al bike with 105 and cheap Mavic wheels. Ain't about the bike.

wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    That was quite entertaining
    There I was...