Wrist Pain

Printable View

• 08-02-2019
    TiCoyote
    4 Attachment(s)
    Wrist Pain
    Over the past few weeks, Iíve been getting wrist pain during and after long rides. Specifically, it is tendonitis, between my wrist and forearm, on the outside of my wrist, the ulnar side, from the bony knob on my ulna to about two inches above my forearm.

I recently built up a new bike, and I matched the measurements to my other bike: saddle height, fore aft, stem height. However, the new bike has zipp 70 handlebars, which have a 70 mm reach. My other bike has specialized tarmac handlebars which have an 85 mm reach. With the shorter reach, I can reach the hoods and shift is more easily, but Iím wondering if this is causing extra strain on my wrist.

Iím attaching pictures of the bars. Let me know if they are set up wrong. The black ones on the new bars, the white ones are the old ones.

Attachment 325623

Attachment 325615

Attachment 325617

Attachment 325619
  • 08-02-2019
    nova_rider
    Any difference in stem length between the two? Holding everything else the same, shorter reach will put your wrist at a more acute angle, and that can cause problems.
  • 08-02-2019
    TiCoyote
    The stem is the same length, but the new one is 8deg and the old one is 6 deg. I put an extra 5mm spacer below the stem to compensate.
  • 08-02-2019
    Jay Strongbow
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post

I recently built up a new bike, and I matched the measurements to my other bike: saddle height, fore aft, stem height. However, the new bike has zipp 70 handlebars, which have a 70 mm reach. My other bike has specialized tarmac handlebars which have an 85 mm reach. With the shorter reach, I can reach the hoods and shift is more easily, but Iím wondering if this is causing extra strain on my wrist.

You didn't matched the measurements if you changed the reach to the shifters.
  • 08-02-2019
    nova_rider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    The stem is the same length, but the new one is 8deg and the old one is 6 deg. I put an extra 5mm spacer below the stem to compensate.

Reach difference alone between old and new is 15mm, enough to make a noticeable difference on your wrist and shoulders. You can perhaps play with your saddle adjustments as long as it doesn't mess up your knee position. If that doesn't work, you might be looking at a longer stem.
  • 08-02-2019
    Srode
    Looks like the heal of your hand is on the bars solidly on the old set up and not so much on the new one. What I am seeing looks like a pretty significant difference between the two set ups.
  • 08-02-2019
    PBL450
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    You didn't matched the measurements if you changed the reach to the shifters.

This. If you want to make adjustments to your previous geo thatís cool, but do it after a ton of miles on as close to a replicated geo as possible on the new bike with all systems working fine. Very small differences effect me a very lot. Maybe Iím uniquely sensitive.
  • 08-06-2019
    ROAD&DIRT
    What I am seeing looks like a pretty significant difference between the two set ups. The old bars with the white tape appear to be rotated downward a bit more than the bars with the black tape and the reach to the shifters look to be in different locations... therefore putting your hands/wrist in two different positions
  • 08-06-2019
    Finx
    Your hoods are rolled down further on the bike with the white bar tape. On the other bike they are nearly flat at the same angle as the stem.

This will change your wrist angle significantly.